Whats eating it, and how can i protect?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Plantlife, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Plantlife

Plantlife Member

Hi, from my pictures can you help in identifying whats done this specific eating and how to protect this plant?

Many thanks

Attached Files:

Shreyansh_S likes this.
  2. Plantlife

Plantlife Member

Ive raised the plant pot off the floor due to this, and did not solve the problem.

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

The only things that come to mind are leafcutter bees, which are not really harmful. They only work during the day; so, if this happens at night, it must be something else.

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

It is striking that the holes are lined up in a way that makes me wonder if they could have been made while the leaf was still unfurled.

They look to me more like the sort of irregular shapes slugs or snails might make but it's odd that that one leaf has been targeted while the most recent one has not.

I've had quite a bit of experience with leaf-cutter bees the past few years and notice that they are often cut from the perimeters of leaves and have smooth edges (as in the photo attached). The holes in OP's photos look to me to be more irregular in shape than I would expect leaf-cutter bees to make.

Leaf cutter bee circles.JPG

Shreyansh_S likes this.
  5. Plantlife

Plantlife Member

I will take another picture today as one of the leaves has started dying. I also looked at leaf cutting Bee pictures, and they seem to target the edges like the picture above.

6. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Probably mice.

7. Plantlife

Plantlife Member

Attached Files:

8. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Geranium leaf looks like a slug/snail damage, the other are more like a mice damage.

9. Margot

I think it is far more likely that slugs or snails are responsible for the holes you are finding in the plant leaves. Although mice are known to nibble on certain leaves sometimes, they are not a first choice. https://gardening.which.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/213981405-Mice-in-gardens

There are lots of questions that need to be answered before coming to any conclusion. For example:
    • Is the plant indoors or out? Do you know its name?
    • Have you seen any actual mice or slugs/snails?
    • Have you seen any evidence in the vicinity . . . mouse burrows or droppings; shiny slug or snail trails?
    • Do you see similar damage on other plants?
    • Are either mice or slugs/snails a problem in your neighbourhood?
    There is also the possibility a fungus could have attacked the leaves and then 'dropped out' leaving a hole behind. I've heard of shot-hole fungus but don't know too much about it.

Until you know what is causing the damage, it is impossible to say how to prevent it from recurring.

10. Plantlife

Plantlife Member

The Plant is outside, never really see Mice around here. Slugs yes, Snails no.

The plant is either one of the two, cant remember, had a large shaped bulb:

Canna Carnaval or Oriental Lilie (San Simeon)

In my other picture (of the red plant) if you look closely, there are black things, though its eaten too. IMG_2468

11. Plantlife

Plantlife Member

What is a good bug spray, cheap but not rubbish? I could start with that.

12. Plantlife

Plantlife Member

Dont think its Fungal, I think its like a fungal chew that cause the plant to deplete its defenses in specific areas, i may be wrong. The leaf dies and becomes food ?

13. Margot

There's really no point to spraying anything with a bug (insect/spider) spray unless you know for sure that there are problem 'bugs' to deal with. Such sprays are often indiscriminate and kill the good along with the bad. A waste of time and money in your case until you find out what is making holes in your plants' leaves. The fact that it is in a pot should make it easy for you to put up barriers, whether the culprits are mice or slugs. There are some suggestions in the website I sent you about how to protect plants from mice. Your local garden centre will be able to suggest various strategies for dealing with slugs or snails.

If/when you find out precisely what it is causing those holes, would you take a moment to let us know?

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  14. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

On the closer look even the Geranium looks more like a mice damage.
    It seems, that damages are not fresh. They did happen when leaves were not fully unfolded. I suggest Microtus arvalis as a culprit.

15. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021