Identification: ID Help Please Fungus

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Ben Caledonia, Aug 21, 2021.

1. Ben Caledonia

Ben Caledonia New Member

Hi!
    This is my first post here. :-)
    Can you help me identify this species?
    Found in humid forest in New Caledonia.
    Thank you

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Welcome to the forums Ben :-)

For starters, you have a lovely polypore there, a group of fungi which have a porous surface on the underside of the cap (or when no cap, generally on the downward facing side).

I'll take a look at my South Pacific / Australia resources, as I'm mainly a PNW of NA fungi person,
    • Please, if you could also add the ID of the tree, that can often be helpful. Or even general group of tree; if it is hardwood or conifer.
    • Lastly, approximate diameter would be good.

3. Frog

Narrowing it down from the wide world of polypore genera: Take a look at species in your area in Fuscoporia, Cyclomyces, Phellinus, or Fulvifomes.

@Ben Caledonia - Let me know if you would find a New Caledonia fungi checklist useful?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    Ben Caledonia likes this.
  4. Ben Caledonia

Ben Caledonia New Member

Thank a lot Frog, I will look. It was on a hardwood with a trunk about 8cm diameter, but I don't know which species.

The Endemia site lists the local fungus but some are not illustrated, and sometimes some are not on the list, but it can already be a good start.
    You have to scroll through the menus to the left.
    Endemia.nc

I still have 7 or 8 other unknown species, but I don't want to bore you.

I could also show you other identified species, that I met the same day. :-)

(sorry for my english I use Google translate)

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Hey Ben, Frog and the rest of us live for your questions, and we promise to not be bored. I suggest starting a new thread for each unknown.

6. Ben Caledonia

Ben Caledonia New Member

Hi Frog, I looked on Endemia, not obvious because few illustrations, thank you nevertheless for your help

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2021
  7. Frog

Hi Ben - yes I think this would take searching for images of all local species in those genera, narrowing down by hardwood substrate and by appearance. My South Pacific ID resources are limited, so I can't be of more help. We have similar Phellinus-type polypores in the PNW of North America, e.g. Porodaedelea pini, but I don't think this is that one.

And yes echoing Wendy's comment, please do feel welcome to start more threads for your other fungal finds!

Ben Caledonia likes this.