Identification: Yuzu Citrus Help

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Gilbert Lin, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Gilbert Lin

Gilbert Lin New Member

Hello all,

I planted these Yuzu Citrus from seeds that were given to me by a friend who works at a Japanese restaurants. Most of them are doing fine (9 months old now). But I started seeing some weird issues; 1 particularly I'm most eager to know the cause and solutions because the last time that I planted yuzu the same symptom showed and the seedling eventually died.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    It usually starts with little spots on the first section of the leaf (I don't know what they are called). And some tiny dots on the major big leaf. The leaf will eventually curl and die. And then the other leaves will get the same thing. Is this a disease? Should I cut the ones infected?

It looks differently from water issues like this
    [​IMG]

Thank you for your time!

Here's a family photo
    [​IMG]

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Your photos can't be seen.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I can see the photos very well, but I wonder if they're too large and Junglekeeper is looking on a mobile device? I have not heard of that being an issue before.
    @Gilbert Lin, maybe it would help to attach them again in a reply in a way that they are converted to thumbnails in the posting. Have a look at Attach photos and files.

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I found out what caused this problem. Not wanting to hijack this thread, I started a new one to discuss this issue: Direct linking of photos.

5. Gilbert Lin

Gilbert Lin New Member

Sorry. I wanted inline image so that I can explain the different issues. Here are the photos demonstrating my main question with the leaf.

Attached Files:

6. mcitrus

mcitrus New Member

Spider mites.

7. Will B

Will B Active Member

I don't see any real signs of spider mites. They normally leave stippling on the leaves. To me it looks like either a bacterial or fungal infection, but the lesions look rather generic so cannot tell what kind. I would strongly recommend removing all infected leaves and disposing of them in the trash or burning them if you can before it spreads.

8. Gilbert Lin

Gilbert Lin New Member

Hello @Will B , do I cut the entire leaf or even surrounding leaves?

9. Will B

Will B Active Member

I would suggest just the infected leaves. Remove the whole leaf if it has signs of infection. It is possible it has already spread to other leaves but until you see at least some symptoms there is no real point causing more stress than what you know is required. Be sure to wash your hands afterward. If bacteria or fungus then it is likely quite infectious and touching other leaves before washing hands may spread the issue...

10. SoCal2warm

SoCal2warm Active Member

In my experience you should be letting them grow outside if at all possible, now that it's the summer.

Maybe even putting some plastic wrap over the soil could help prevent the soil from drying out.

11. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

You have pretty large number of citrus plants over there. Is there some dependance of location, at what spot your plants are more readily showing these symptoms? Are suffering plants grouped close to each other or is it spread evenly over all your plants? Are the best exposed to the sun plants more or less affected? Does these symptoms depend on container size, recent repotting, different potting mix, etc?

12. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

To me it seems, that you are using a potting mix of mostly peat. Citruses like mineral soil, they are not bog plants.

Tocharian likes this.
  13. Gilbert Lin

Gilbert Lin New Member

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I've removed the infected leaves and it has been 4 days and most of them seem fine. I'll continue to monitor the situation.

I did start moving them away from each other. From @Sulev 's note, I've started to take notes of where the most affected plants is located. You mentioned they prefer mineral soil, is it too late to repot them now that we're heading into fall?

I also moved some outside. The reason why I didn't do it is because I don't have a good shaded area and the full sun nearly killed some of my "testing" plants.

14. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

I think it is ok to repot now.
    I keep my citruses outdoors all the summer. They get ca 12 hours of direct sun exposure, Only couple of hottest days during the heat wave I placed my citruses into the shade under the canopy of an apple tree, because the soil in containers was about to overheating.
    I always bring my plants out when it's rainy or cloudy for several days in a row. And increase exposure to the direct sun step by step.