Moonrise or Autumn Moon?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Ghost74, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Ghost74

Ghost74 Member

Hi all, can I have a few expert opinions please? I have 2 Acers both labelled as Moonrise. They are so different in colouration…though kept in similar lighting. This is leading me to think one of them may actually be Autumn Moon. One has always been very bright orange turning very red in parts in sun. The other has always been very green with bright red only on new growth. I have read so many different descriptions of both that often contradict. I thought I’d tap into the expertise of the forum :)

I know colouration can vary depending on a number of factors, but these are so different from each other!

Do I have x2 Moonrise, or is one an Autumn Moon? If so which one?

Thanks

Dan

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Dan , I agree with your thinking in that photo 2 is of Moonrise and photo 1 is of Autumn Moon. But and there is a but. Colours of these Shirasawanum's at this time of the year can go a little crazy. I believe that Spring is often the better time to ID them.

I love both of them BTW.

D

Ghost74 likes this.
  3. Ghost74

Ghost74 Member

thanks D, they were so different in spring too, one very green with some red new growth, the other bright orange!