Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Omg they are all so beautiful what a great garden!!!

2. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Thanks Lisa, its a terrible mess in all honesty but I have enough mature green and red weeping habit trees to hide the imperfections haha.. the Emerald Lace is a big green monster it’s about 8 or 9 feet across now. All bar one of my trees are in containers…that way they will come with me when I move in a few years time

Lisa Harry likes this.
  3. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Did some morning watering and was just taken by my “Rising Sun JM” here are a few pics with it next to my dogs Red Dragon JM and a cedar tree. This location is full sun all day with a steady breeze, both have help up extremely well to the recent heat wave and general conditions of that area. The Red Dragon has been in that spot for over a year and the Rising Sun a couple week. Really pleased with both these incredible trees

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning everyone.I wanted to continue with the theme of new life today and especially after saying goodbye to an old friend yesterday. He would have appreciated these photos, as life does go on.
    Westonbirt Orange 289.JPG Sango kaku 289.JPG Bi hoo 289.JPG Corallinum 289.JPG Ukigumo  289.JPG Orange Dream 289.JPG Skeeters broom 289.JPG Reticulatum 289.JPG Amber ghost 289.JPG
    They are Westonbirt Orange, Sango Kaku, Bi hoo, Corallinum, Ukigumo, Orange dream, Skeeters Broom, Reticulatum, and Amber ghost.

5. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

Can't begin to match your beautiful maples D, but the little Sango Kaku I thought was lost has miraculously shown signs of rebirth. The very brown leaves are still soft, not crispy as some of the others were, but I don't think they have any chance of coming back.

I expect what I will do is to just keep watch over it and water it as necessary depending on the temperature here. Most likely will remove the dead stuff after I see if it does anything else in the next few weeks.

IMG_5998.JPG IMG_6000.JPG IMG_6001.JPG IMG_6002.JPG IMG_6003.JPG

zfrittz, Xi-feng, Acerholic and 2 others like this.
  6. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Thanks for posting that Keith now I have even more hope for the JM Waterfall I have that I loved to near death and the heat wave has tried to claim!

Keith Elliott likes this.
  7. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Sorry to hear that Derek..very sad.
    Some nice bright and healthy foliage on those trees :)

Acerholic likes this.
  8. Keith Elliott

I had a small waterfall when I was on Ruxton, and it didn't seem to matter how it got treated. It just grew slowly and beautifully.

What I did for the Sango Kaku and two other JM's, was to put them under the big cedar tree and make sure no more sun got to them. I would lift the pots up every morning to see how heavy they were, and let that be my guide as to how much water they got. But I didn't let them get anywhere near dried out as I did mistakenly before. It was more a matter of me not paying sufficient attention to them.

I think it's a matter of the learning curve we have to go through. The other two are doing well now, and all three are under the roof on the east deck.

We are already making plans to attach some permanent broken shade to the deck in order to avoid the same trouble happening again.

Alternately, should we get another of these record breaking hot spells, we can move several plants down to the lean to which runs on the north side of the shop down below. It is 20 feet long with a bench that runs the entire length. It would only get a small amount of sun at the end of a day, at the most.

Lisa Harry likes this.
  9. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Did you cut the top off that maple? May I ask why?

10. Keith Elliott

Yes, because the branch had gone black, and everything above that point was dead.

maf likes this.
  11. Acerholic

Good morning, well we are into July and the weather forecast is for rain for the next 5 days and gale force winds on Monday. So that means it's Summer in England ;-)
    So here are a few from moments ago before it all starts.
    They are:- Beni shigitatsu sawa , Ariadne, Reticulatum Purple, Moonrise, Uncle ghost, Amagi shigure, Musashino, and Oridono nishiki.
    Beni shigitatsu sawa 290.JPG Ariadne 290.JPG Reticulatum purple 290.JPG Moonrise 290.JPG Uncle ghost 290.JPG Amagi shigure 290.JPG Musashino 290.JPG Oridono nishiki 290.JPG
    Have a lovely weekend everyone.

12. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

It's a grey, miserable day here... but it's a Saturday, so I don't care at all! New growth coming through now:

Peaches & Cream, Momoiro Koyasan, Beni Shigitatsu Sawa (left) & Shigitatsu Sawa (right), Otome Zakura:

20210703 P&C.jpg 20210703 Momoiro Koyasan.jpg 20210703 B. Shigitatsu Sawa, Shigitatsu Sawa.jpg 20210703 Otome Zakura.jpg

Olsen's Frosted Strawberry (above) & Uncle Ghost (below), Amber Ghost, Nathan, Mikawa Yatsubusa:

20210703 O.F. Strawberry, U. Ghost.jpg 20210703 Amber Ghost.jpg 20210703 Nathan.jpg 20210703 Mikawa Yatsubusa.jpg

Oridono Nishiki (we think) x3, Ukigumo:

20210703 Oridono Nishiki.jpg 20210703 Oridono Nishiki-2.jpg 20210703 Oridono Nishiki-1.jpg 20210703 Ukigumo-1.jpg

(And totally not an acer but I'm sneaking my wisteria in here too because I thought I wasn't getting any blooms this year and yet suddenly HERE WE GO)

20210703 Wisteria.jpg

13. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Lol, I remember now, I even commented on the black branch - I just hadn't realised it was such a big part of the tree that needed to be removed - hope it comes through OK!

14. Keith Elliott

It actually wasn't that big, just that it was the main branch if you will, and the tree is so small. But I'm really surprised at the new growth that has appeared so very quickly. More very warm weather here at least for another week, so it remains under cover until such time as the weather cools down and we get some rain.

maf likes this.
  15. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

This morning spot light goes to Tsuma Gaki, I think it likes this spot

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

Good morning, well there seems quite a happy buzz in England this morning. I wonder why !!!! Lol.
    But for me it's all about my maples enjoying this weather. 18°C , a few showers and some scattered clouds. 'Perfect'. So before they get hammered tomorrow by the storms, here are a few that were looking nice just now.
    They are:- Aureum, Red Sentinal, Shaina, English lace, Autumn Moon, Olsen's Frosted Strawberry, Ukon and Nigrum.
    Aureum 291.JPG Red Sentinal 291.JPG Shaina 291.JPG English lace 291.JPG Autumn moon 291.JPG Olsen's frosted strawberry 291.JPG Ukon 291.JPG Nigrum 291.JPG

Have a relaxing Sunday everyone.

D

17. Xi-feng

You've got better weather than we have here in London, D: nothing but dull grey clouds and drizzle here!

Searles Variegated (bottom left) & Kochou no Mai (upper right), Redwood, Moonrise & Bloodgood, Saiho:

20210704 S. Variegated, Kochou no mai.jpg 20210704 Redwood.jpg 20210704 Moonrise, Bloodgood.jpg 20210704 Saiho.jpg

Summer Gold, Hupps Red Willow, Emerald Lace, Viridis:

20210704 Summer Gold.jpg 20210704 H Red Willow.jpg 20210704 Emerald Lace.jpg 20210704 Viridis.jpg

Purple Ghost, Jordan, Tattoo, Nathan:

20210704 Purple Ghost.jpg 20210704 Jordan.jpg 20210704 Tattoo.jpg 20210704 Nathan.jpg

Autumn Moon, Crimson Princess, Kotohime:

20210704 Autumn Moon.jpg 20210704 Crimson Princess.jpg 20210704 Kotohime.jpg

18. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Happy July 4th everybody!!

Attached Files:

19. Riverdale27

Riverdale27 Active Member

Time for an update on my maples. They have been growing so well lately... amazing. Only my bloodgood is not getting a second flush, but has grown quite nicely already.

My favorites are no doubt Jordan, Black Lace, Deshojo and Skeeter's Broom.

In order:
    - Bloodgood
    - Osakazuki
    - Wilson's Pink Dwarf (its amazing to think my avatar picture came from this one around April)
    - Deshojo
    - Phoenix
    - Skeeter's Broom
    - Katsura
    - Trompenburg
    - Black Lace
    - Jerre Schwartz
    - Atropurpureum
    - Bi Hoo
    - Dissectum Garnet
    - Dissectum
    - Amagi Shiguri
    - Anne Irene
    - Jordan
    - Orange Dream
    - Aureum
    - regular Palmatum in the back of my garden, will be my seed machine when it grows up

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  20. Riverdale27

Riverdale27 Active Member

Hi D, would you be so kind as to post a full picture of that Aureum and Autumn Moon? They look amazin.

21. GPA

GPA Well-Known Member

Acerholic's Olsen's Frosted Strawberry looks totally different than Xi-feng's maple.
    Are they the same variety of maple?
    I am interested in Olsen's Frosted Strawberry and am following the evolution over the months.
    Which maple is stronger, the Olsen's Frosted Strawberry or the Amagi Shigure?
    And which one holds the color the longest?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    Xi-feng and Lisa Harry like this.
  22. Xi-feng

They are indeed - we've been discussing this a bit and it's probably down to different light levels (both @Acerholic and @D97x7 have some very PINK Strawberries in comparison to mine, despite us all being located in the UK and experiencing roughly similar weather and temperature conditions) but it's a bit of a mystery to me too why mine is so much paler. I think it also comes down to trees being individuals to some extent; some years they decide to do something interesting/weird with their colours that their peers aren't doing!

GPA likes this.
  23. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

'Green Cascade'
    DSCN9787.jpeg DSCN9789.jpeg DSCN9755.jpeg

24. GPA

GPA Well-Known Member

Omureyama

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

Good morning, sorry for not replying quicker, but things are a bit hectic here atm. K @Riverdale27 asked for a couple of more photos of the whole tree re Aureum and Autumn Moon. I have to say that they are both small, so I hope they don't disappoint. They will be kept this size as the position suits this in my garden.
    Aureum.
    Aureum 291.JPG Aureum 292.JPG
    Autumn Moon.
    Autumn moon 291.JPG Autumn Moon 292.JPG
    Keeping on the theme of Shirasawanum's, here is Johin.
    Johin 292.JPG Johin 293.JPG
    Next is Jordan.
    Jordan 292.JPG Jordan 293.JPG
    And Moonrise..
    Moonrise 293 (1).JPG Moonrise 293 (2).JPG
    And finally as it was looking quite nice this morning, my Green Trompenburg.
    Green Trompenburg 292.JPG