Virtual Garden Tour 2000-2021

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Margot, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Re: heat
    We hid in the basement yesterday to escape the heat - it got to 56C in the covered Garden, and 37C outside (as well as upstairs). I did go out really early yesterday to water and discovered some of my plants are wilting or have white or burned patches on the upper most leaves.

It was also reported on the news that the raspberry farmers in the Fraser Valley are afraid they may lose their crops because the berries are actually baking on the vines.

Acerholic likes this.
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

We're walking around looking as drenched as that hosta flower.

Acerholic likes this.
  3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Or, a daylily bloom. They're fading so quickly these days, I'm changing their name to half-day lilies.

Georgia Strait and Acerholic like this.
  4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Lol, glad you still have a sense of humour Wendy. I know I wouldn't in that heat.

D

5. Acerholic

We really are thinking about you all over there. I know it does no good, but at least we do sympathise from this side of the pond.
    Hopefully an end is in sight.

D

6. Margot

Your sympathies are appreciated . . . you've experienced your share of weird weather too. I guess we're all in shock that this heat wave is continuing so very hot and for so long; certainly the first time for me who has lived in SW BC all my life.

We just got home from appointments. The house feels cool at 30C in contrast to the 37C outdoors.

Then, to see the headlines about people actually dying from the heat . . . Just horrible!
    "In Burnaby alone, more than 25 people have died in the last 24 hours, with many of the deaths believed to be heat-related." (BCTV website)

Acerholic likes this.
  7. Acerholic

Glad to read that cooler temperatures to start from today for you in BC. So back to the gardens and I hope you post some photos of your plants doing OK again soon Margot.

D

Margot likes this.
  8. pmurphy

UPDATE
    After breaking temperature records for 3 consecutive days in a row - reaching a high of 49.6C on June 29th - the town of Lytton is now gone, devastated by a fast moving wildfire on July 1st.

Temperatures have now dropped to near normal for with time of year but the damage had been done. Our hearts go out to the people impacted by this.

Georgia Strait and Margot like this.
  9. Acerholic

Good morning, I thought I would post some of my plants from in my garden a few minutes ago that are enjoying this cooler wet Summer we in Southern England are having this year.
    Arythrium niponicum Metallicum 296.JPG Hydrangea peniculata Great Star 296.JPG Arythrium niponicum Unknown fern 296.JPG Arythrium niponicum Bugundy lace  296.JPG Hosta White feather 296.JPG Lonicera Strawberries and cream 296.JPG Lonicera Strawberries and cream 297.JPG Dryopteris lepidopoda Sunset fern 296.JPG Arythrium niponicum Ursulas red 296.JPG
    They are :- Arythrium niponicum Metallica, Hydrangea peniculata Great star, Arythrium niponicum Unknown fern, Arythrium niponicum Burgundy lace, Hosta White Feather, Lonicera Strawberries and cream x2, Dryopteris lepidopoda Sunset fern and Arythrium niponicum Ursulas Red.

Nik and Margot like this.
  10. wcutler

Those are happy-looking ferns, for sure.
    I like the stripes on the hosta leaves.

Acerholic likes this.
  11. Acerholic

Thankyou Wendy, it's is a good year over here for ferns and hostas. Wet and cool....

D

12. pmurphy

Now that things have cooled down I've been working like crazy to repair a leak in the waterfall and to see what damage the heat caused (and what can be done about it).
    The heat seemed to have had some funny effects on my gardens; some plants suffered scorching, burning or bleaching of the leaves, other lost their fruits and yet others thrived in it...even those in the covered Garden that reached a high of 56C.

Clematis 'Taiga' - after the heat the buds were stunted with the flowers being only half the size as previous years
    Rice paper plant - loved the heat and is in a growth spurt putting out many new leaves
    Voodoo lily - I haven't seen this clump in years but they appeared again during the heat wave
    Butterfly flower - they exploded in growth (they are in the covered Garden)
    Blueberries - fruit withered on the bush; as well as my dwarf cherries (no fruit this year), and raspberries cooked on the vines. And I may have even lost my 3m lapin cherry tree; it wilted and still has not recovered.

Attached Files:

Nik, Xi-feng, wcutler and 2 others like this.
  13. wcutler

I'm sorry about the Lapin cherry - they're my favourite.

14. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    What is the hosta on left side of photo 2nd fr last jpg?

15. Acerholic

Hi Georgia, it's June.

D

16. Georgia Strait

Interesting - i don’t know June

I was going to guess either
    Midwest magic

Or stained glass

I was very tempted by the white feathers here and I had to walk away because - well basically - I hadn’t planted what I had bought the previous foray $$

Garden confessional :)

Acerholic likes this.
  17. Georgia Strait

Garden tour today featuring —- LILIES

our massive heat whenever that was (over 100F at the coast ocean beach in the shade) (and bless Lytton BC - a lovely community where Thompson and Fraser confluence — and thank you to all responders and donors and everyone helping)

My asiatic lilies came out beautifully as usual around Canada Day / Glorious 4th

THEN - The more scented oriental lilies have absolutely fast-forwarded

It’s quite a display of note this year

I think @Margot you were hoping to plant lilies in your 2021 - your Jan msg

I have attached several pix and I hope I get them labelled in order from the past couple of weeks

ÉDIT - forgot to attach photos —- hmm, it won’t let me attach (upload) (755am PDT Sat 10 July)

I think I am doing it correctly @Acerholic & other mods - can you make it work ?

18. Georgia Strait

Lily photos - continuation of earlier post above

1. Yellow - first to bloom - Summer solstice June (normal time) - no scent - I think it’s a name like « Tiny Bee »

2. A stray small Stargazer - very early for it to bloom but it was so hot temp

3. Next to bloom - Sweet Surrender - elegant shape - green-white colour - highly recommend. The hummers sniff at it but I don’t know if they get food from it.

4. A sweet trumpet shape with a délicate almost plumeria (Hawaii) scent. Name unknown — bought it a couple yrs ago half price end of year and have fostered it along - leaves are long and thin and droopy - on purpose not sickness

5. & 6. Oh this is amazing —- it is lily tree I mail ordered fr Brecks a couple yrs ago

I have several around the property

The plant is at least 6 feet tall (yes)

Each bloom is about 7 inches long
    And approx 8 inches across

The scent is heady - typical lily (like stargazer) with a hint of vanilla

The hummer birds fit w entirely inside the bloom!

7. & 8. More Asiatic lilies — the red & white combo was a bag mix that celebrates Canada flag colors I think for 150 bday

Thé pastel Asiatics are another mix bag named something about Hawaii. Purchased approx 10 yr ago.

In both these mixes - the white blossoms have a faint scent —- thé colors do not.

9. This is another lily tree - but not as tall as some other - above - it is scented and is called Olympic Torch

10. Another mix bag - it was called something like Black Tie Affair — very compact (short) - thé speckle combination is appealing

11. Deep purple lily is another of Brecks tree lilies — pretty lady? Brecks is fine but the bulbs don’t bloom in same colors as their photos.

12. Mystery oriental lily in a pretty apricot color (leaning on pink rose)

———-
    I cannot get my Madonna lily to bloom

We have others - tiny pearl etc but they got aphids so are not so attractive this year.

And stargazer and Casablanca and black magic are yet to bloom.

And that’s todays tour with coast sea breezes wafting scent across the garden

Most of my lilies are in pots — minimal water and food only if I remember (a very low numbers organic mix the local garden Center mixes up and keeps recipe a secret)

Attached Files:

Nik, Acerholic, pmurphy and 1 other person like this.
  19. Margot

Absolutely beautiful! I haven't planted any lilies yet mainly because I haven't been into a garden centre for months. Would you recommend a good mail order source?

Oops - just noticed your mention of Breck's. And a tree lily, something I just heard about for the first time yesterday.

Or is that the same as the giant Himalayan lily - Cardiocrinum giganteum?

20. Georgia Strait

Oh look at those proper lily trees at the Rhodo Species Garden !

Cardiocrinum giganteum is reaching to the sky! – Rhododendron Species Botanical Garden
    —-

Googling around Margot - some other online stores call these « trees » a hybrid of Oriental & Trumpet

I am still not convinced that Brecks sends the correct colors - but it’s fun to grow them (easy too)

Be sure to look at Brecks Canada site (not USA)
    Buy Lily Tree Mixture Online | Lilies | Breck's Bulbs Canada

There is also Veseys

Plus i snoop in the Florissa wholesale and ask my garden place if they are getting my favs in their Spring (2022) order which no doubt they place very soon for spring 2022
    Our Catalogues - Van Noort Bulb - Wholesale Flower Bulbs Langley BC

This place below might be USA but it explains some of the tree lily origin details — basically I think it’s a marketing name — but they are tall!

I Miss Marple Orienpet Lily

I have this Miss Marple (fr Brecks) somewhere hère but - I think the store sent wrong color
    ———
    Here is another store with Olympic Torch and it does not look like my yellow-orange fr Brecks :(

http://mliliesperennials.com/product/olympic-torch-2-pack/

———-
    And of course it’s always fun to explore this well known BC place

Botanus

Search results for: 'lily'

Margot likes this.
  21. pmurphy

Still trying to get caught up but I see there are a few new things growing and flowering in my gardens...

Pickerelweed
    Swamp lily
    Litchi tomato - thought I'd try something new in the vegetable garden this year...watch for the spines! They're supposed to taste like a cross between sour cherry and tomato.
    Blackberry lily aka leopard lily - seed grown in 2019, first time flowering
    Acanthocalycium klimpelianum (sorry, no common name)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    Nik, Acerholic and Margot like this.
  22. Acerholic

The sun is shining at last here in Southern England, it has been so wet of late that only my the Hostas are really enjoying this weather, so I thought I would post a few from moments ago.
    Hosta Patriot 301.JPG Hosta Guacamoli 301.JPG Hosta Revolution 301.JPG Hosta Orange marmalade 301.JPG Hosta White feather 301.JPG Hosta Dragon tails 301.JPG Hosta Fire and ice 301.JPG Hosta Flavocircinalis 301.JPG Hosta Mouse ears 301.JPG Hosta Wiggles and squiggles 301.JPG Hosta Midas touch 301.JPG
    They are Patriot, Guacamole, Revolution, Orange marmalade, White Feather, Dragon tails, Fire and Ice, Flavocircinalis, Mouse Ears,Wiggles and squiggles and Midas touch.

D

23. Georgia Strait

Oh i like themes ! Those are stunning hostas in perfect shape for a garden tour tea party

I feel cooler just viewing them from our hot and very smoke-filled location

QUESTION - we know hostas are t out in the winter

And maples lose their leaves

So how do you keep your garden design attractive in English winter (likely similar to our coast winter here)?

The barren look frustrates me at the coast - tho I know it is a seasonal natural process.

24. Acerholic

Good morning Georgia. When the garden goes to sleep in the Winter I am happy with the shapes that the branches of my trees give. But of course I am always pining for Spring, Lol.

D

25. Acerholic

I thought I would do another Hosta posting of a few more in my garden today. The sun is now shining and it's going to get hot, so I hope they contine to do well
    These are :- Curly Fries, Fireworks, Snowflake, Lakeside Little Tuft, June, Devon Green, Lemon Lime, Hands Up, Praying Hands, Stained Glass and The British are coming.
    Hosta Curly fries 301.JPG Hosta Fireworks 301.JPG Hosta Snowflake 301.JPG Hosta Lakeside little tuft 301.JPG Hosta June 301.JPG Hosta Devon green 301.JPG Hosta Lemmon lime 301.JPG Hosta Hands up 301.JPG Hosta Praying hands 301.JPG Hosta Stained glass 301.JPG Hosta The British are coming 301.JPG

D

Nik, pmurphy and Margot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.