Lilium bulbiferum ??

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by David Tang, Jun 20, 2021.

1. David Tang

David Tang Active Member

Found out some of the lilies in my flower lawn looks different.
    Wonder if these are Lilium bulbiferum ?

Attached Files:

2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Do you have a link to your previous post (thread) about orange color lily?

I forget what RonB suggested

For sure my Asiatic lilies are starting to bloom at the coast .... Lollipop started today

Attached Files:

3. David Tang

David Tang Active Member

4. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    That’s great you found it

So - the photo above (today) is a different lily — is that correct?

Though in your same garden

So you’re thinking you have two different lilies ?

Here is a link BELOW that might interest you
    I personally find (being an impulsive lily bulb buyer) that unless I have an old label - then no names

Also - often at the store the bulbs are sold as some sort of marketing blend name (I think I have a mix called Aloha or something Hawaiian-sounding ... so you might have what remains of a mixed bag (literally)

I thought the history from Oregon is interesting (mid Century lilies)

How To Plant Colored Lily Bulbs | A.D.R. Bulbs

5. David Tang

David Tang Active Member

The trouble with names of marketable plants are often given names to attract attention
    than the real name ! Anyway, thanks for your attention and advice.

Georgia Strait likes this.
  6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The commercially motivated designation system you are talking about is one where (in the US anyway) a trademark or registered trademark that is chosen for popular appeal is used to sell a cultivar which is often given an obscure or utilitarian cultivar name which may not even be pronounceable. The purpose of this is to encourage preferential use by others of the trademark in their communications which serves to benefit those claiming and owning it. It should be noted that these selling names as they are aptly called in Britain are technically not names for the plants themselves, would be why each plant presented to the market using this system also has therefore a separate cultivar name. In fact the full descriptions of those introductions that become patented inventions in the US always refer to these plants by their cultivar names only, presumably because strictly speaking the cultivar name is the unique identifier and not any of various marketing terms that may be applied along the way. So for instance the since widely known and sold Hydrangea macrophylla cultivar that was first distributed as 'Endless Summer' has over time become promoted by Bailey nursery using the combination Endless Summer [series] The Original [registered trademark] 'Bailmer'. With only the cultivar names 'Endless Summer' and then later 'Bailmer' being actual horticultural names. So that some nursery catalogs using database style page formatting with all of the information broken up into named categories, with these categories equating to database fields with field names actually present selling names as common names. As in "Common Name: The Original Hydrangea" and "Botanical Name: Hydrangea macrophylla 'Bailmer'" being something that might be done in such an instance.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    Georgia Strait likes this.