Plants of the North Shuswap.

Discussion in 'Plants with Spores (Ferns, Mosses, et al.)' started by Keith Elliott, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

It's definitely a good thing that I have all you good folks looking out for me. Heaven knows, I should be pushing up daisies by now if it wasn't for your help and guidance.

So @Margot, once I had heard from Daniel, I looked up poison ivy and discovered it to be in the Sumac family. I think that most of the Sumac shrubs, or small trees up this way are a lot bigger than those in post #26. I did look up Sumac online, and if I remember correctly (which I may not) the local Sumac leaves turn quite a reddish colour in the fall. There are several locally.

@Georgia Strait, After watching the video you posted (Thank you!) it appears to me that the fern I photographed is a Spiny Wood Fern. The reason I say that is because it is far more triangular than sword shaped. Not only that, but when I searched for images, one of them is all but identical to this photo. And a second one of the same fern.

IMG_5059.JPG IMG_5058.JPG

Acerholic likes this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I do love ferns and bracken, reminds me of riding accross the New Forest on my horse.
    Green in Spring then rusty colours in Winter. Beautiful IMO.

Keith Elliott likes this.
  3. Keith Elliott

I caught proper you-know-what from @Margot for the bracken here! So yesterday I pulled out all those that I was able to reach. I can definitely see her point of view after looking into them.

4. Keith Elliott

This leads me to another question. I rather liked that Spiny Wood Fern and I wonder how it might take to being dug up and moved? I would probably need to get rid of all the bracken here, and maybe even invade the neighbours' property next door and get his bracken out as well. He's only clearing his property to build a cabin, so his machine will eventually take it all out anyway. Don't worry, he says it's OK.

5. Acerholic

Ferns move very easily in my experience Keith. Take out enough soil and replant straight away and off they go. They do like some shade though.

6. Keith Elliott

Thank you. I may even get greedy and take more than one. There are dozens of them there growing just above the lake. Which, incidentally, I bet has risen since my last trip there.

7. Acerholic

Groups of three look very nice.

8. Keith Elliott

Absolutely true, which is why there will be three rocks to get the J garden started soon.

Acerholic likes this.
  9. Acerholic

Perfect !!!