Acer palmatum 'Tatoo'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by rkburgess, Dec 11, 2005.

1. rkburgess

rkburgess Active Member

This is another one I am very excited about. I will post pictures of all of these next spring.

Kent

Attached Files:

2. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

My initial thoughts about this tree are that its growth habit makes up for the more common looking foliage. The foliage is beautiful, progressing like many small green-leafed palmatums, but the compact growth habit shown by Kent's dormant tree make this a very disireable specimen. I would recommend buying a larger plant that has begun to establish the characteristic growth habit as it would be otherwise difficult to distinguish the validity of the plant by leaf alone.

Photos 4/12 and 4/20. The primary difference in leaf color and shape be environmental, as we had a significant jump in temperatures and sunlight with sustained temps over 70 degrees for most of 3 afternoons.

Attached Files:

3. rkburgess

rkburgess Active Member

I will try to get a picture to post in the next day or so to show you what I have left with this tree. I lost most of the top of it. It came to me in Dec. bare root. This spring when it started to break the top half just didn't do anything. It has started to fill out again but is half of what you see above. It will take a couple of years to recover but it looks pretty healthy right now.

Kent

4. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Pics for Kent---I hope yours comes back from the trauma. No problems with dieback on this plant. I bought it about the same size as yours and it has had some shoots on one side of the tree that have been very slow to leaf out, but the body of the tree is very full and strong. This little guy is a dense wonder.

Attached Files:

5. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

deleted

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  6. DelsJapaneseMaples

DelsJapaneseMaples Member

May I ask Who Everybody purchused thier Tattoo's from?

7. seventrees

seventrees Active Member

Tattoo purchased from Greer Gardens, 2005.

dlm

Attached Files:

8. DelsJapaneseMaples

???????????????? I will find out more on this, if i can!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  9. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

So who is selling the real Tatoo?

10. DelsJapaneseMaples

We are just building our collection, hopefully soon! I will find out who! I hope my post was not out of line?

11. Kaitain4

I don't think so. We all need to know about these goof-ups so we don't further spread mis-named cultivars. Unfortunately I have the "wrong" Tatoo, and I definitely want the correct one!

12. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Definitely not out of line. There was no need to delete the post, but that is your choice.

It may have been a little strongly worded, but there was a lot of truth in that post.

13. conifers

conifers Active Member

Over the years there has been controversy over Acer Palmatum Tattoo . This is the real Tattoo . This plant is 4 years old and resembles a miniature Acer Palmatum Mikawa Yatsubusa .

Dennis Dodge
    Bethlehem Nursery

Attached Files:

14. Kaitain4

Dennis,

Who has this for sale? Also, what are we going to do with the Tatoo that half the collectors have bought from Greers that is not the real thing? Its more like 'Caperci Dwarf' or something...need a name to distinguish the two.

15. Dendo

Dendo Member

The Acer Pal . sold as Tattoo that has a bushy habit was probably named without knowing there was already was one . I too bought one years ago from a person on the west coast thinking it was the real one . A few years ago a friend of mine had a 15 year old Tattoo that was broken in half by his landscaper . He sent me the corpse and I grafted 20 or more grafts from it including the stump which was about 1/2 inch caliper .I put the stump on a 1 gallon standard and much to my surprise I now have a perfect Tattoo on a stick . All others also took and are healthy 1 gal plants from which I graft 1 or 2 pieces from each year . This is a plant that will always be rare because it grows so slow and makes so little wood for grafting . It is not the easiest maple to graft because of the bud nodes being so close and also the wood is very hard and almost brittle . I still have the scars on the left thumb .

( It is nice to have good friends with bad landscapers . )

This is how Bethlehem Nursery got started with Tattoo .

Dendo
    Bethlehem Nursery

Connor Sullivan likes this.
  16. conifers

conifers Active Member

In my last post about Acer Palmatum Tattoo I had mentioned grafting the 1/2 inch caliper stump of a Tattoo that was broken by a landscaper . This is it 1 year after a fall graft . When I grafted it I thought no way will it take but here it is Tattoo on a stick . It is as big as the 4 year Tattoo next to it .

Dendo

Attached Files:

17. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Young 'Tatoo'

20210504_185406.jpg

Connor Sullivan and Acerholic like this.
  18. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

What a perfect maple for millenials who don't have a garden but just a balcony or a tiny courtyard. The beauty of a Mikawa Yatsubusa in miniature perhaps D?

19. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

I keep thinking I've taken photos of my Tattoo to post , then when I check my phone I realise I've overlooked it somehow. Probably because, while it's a pretty little thing, it doesn't really look like anything at the moment, so it doesn't jump out amongst the others. Looking forward to it growing into that 'dwarf mikawa yatsubusa' habit as it gets a little older:

20210612 Tattoo.jpg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    LoverOfMaples, Acerholic and D97x7 like this.
  20. Acerholic

I think it’s going to be a winner Xi. The Bonsai enthusiasts will be watching with a great deal of interest.

Xi-feng likes this.
  21. Xi-feng

I do hope so - I'm all in favour of mikawa-alikes, and hopefully the more popular they become the more varieties we'll get over here in the UK!

22. Acerholic

I do hope so Xi. Japanese Princess is on my wish list.

Xi-feng likes this.
  23. Xi-feng

Mine too! And Mystic Mikawa, which has all sorts of crazy colours going on (sigh.... one day....)

Acerholic likes this.
  24. Acerholic

Oh yes and that one too, Lol.

25. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Update: this little one have put on a nice amount of growth this year so far.

Attached Files: