Acer palmatum 'Sango Kaku' dying...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Yuxuan Deng, May 1, 2021.

1. Yuxuan Deng

Yuxuan Deng New Member

Hello everyone,

I bought a coral bark maple about two years ago, but after this past winter, my tree doesn't look so good. I have searched online and I don't know what's wrong. I really love this tree and would really appreciate it if anyone can help me ID the cause of its decline.

Last summer it was infested with cankerworms but I sprayed it with biological bacteria insecticides following the instructions and the infestation was solved. Then during winter, I did some minor pruning.
    This summer it doesn't look so good and it looks dead but I don't know why...I am watering it properly, and its receiving bright indirect sun from morning to around 5:00 pm, and direct sunlight from 5:00 pm to sunset. I suspect it may be some form of infection but I am not so sure.

I am new to forums so, please correct me if I am making any mistakes.

Thank you, everyone.

Attached Files:

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Hello Yuxuan Deng and welcome to the Forums. One question that needs to be answered first is whether you are you growing your tree indoors?

3. Yuxuan Deng

Yuxuan Deng New Member

Hello Margot, thanks for the reply. I am growing the tree in a large container on my balcony outdoors.

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Yuxuan Deng, good morning and welcome to the maples forum. I'm afraid IMO your Sango Kaku has the tell tell signs of either verticulum wilt or pseudomonas syringae . The blackening near the base of the trunk is what you need to be aware of. So it is not good news from me I'm afraid. There is no cure for Verticulum wilt, but the latter there is, so you could try treatment in case it is actually pseudomonas syringae.
    Have a look at this link to give you more information.

Bacterial canker

AlainK likes this.
  5. Margot

I questioned where the Sango Kaku was growing, thinking that maybe its location had something to do with its problems. Assuming that it does not, I wonder where or how would such a tree in a container on a balcony acquire verticillium wilt or pseudomonas?

6. Acerholic

Goid morning Margot. Laying dormant in the soil where it was grown before purchase. I've often seen perfectly healthy looking trees bought from a garden centre, and kept in pots by the new owners, and then after a season or two develop these problems.

7. Margot

Knowing that verticillium wilt or pseudomonas is a possibility, would it be good practice when buying maples - or any susceptible plants - to wash off the existing soil before planting into a sterile potting mix? This is something that Dr. Linda Chalker-Scott recommends for other reasons but perhaps a good practice generally. (But also where do you get rid of potentially contaminated soil?)

Root Washing: Why and How to Wash Roots - FineGardening

Shin-Deshojo and Acerholic like this.
  8. Acerholic

An excellent idea Margot, I do this with all my bought trees. Regarding getting rid of spent soil that may or may not be contaminated, I take mine to the local waste tip and put it in the soil and rubble skip. This is used to make hard-core etc for road building ,so should never get back into plant compost etc etc.

Margot likes this.
  9. Yuxuan Deng

Yuxuan Deng New Member

Thank you so much, Margot and Acerholic. I really appreciate your suggestions and insights. That really helps me in the future when buying trees as well. I will try and rescue my tree in the case of pseudomonas syringae. I cannot express my gratitude enough for you all.

10. Yuxuan Deng

Yuxuan Deng New Member

Hi Acerholic, I cut one of my dying branches off and took some cross-section pictures. I don't see any black rings or signs of darkening rings. I hear verticillium wilt will cause the branch's insides to have black rings. Could you perhaps take a look?

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

I don't see any sign of Verticulum wilt either. So go down the root of treatment for pseudomonas syringae.

12. Yuxuan Deng

Yuxuan Deng New Member

Do you have any bactericides recommendations? I've never encountered this before so I don't know which one to get.

13. Acerholic

14. Yuxuan Deng

Yuxuan Deng New Member

Hi Acerholic, today I went to garden works to find the fungicide. I talked to one of the employees there, they recommended cutting the tree and leave just a bit of trunk where it is still red (about 1-2 inches tall) as an attempt to save the tree. They didn't think the fungicide could do anything since the infection is very advanced. What is your opinion? should I just cut it right below where the black bark begins or should I try to save the entire tree using the fungicide? I would like to avoid cutting it that much if possible since that would take years to grow back.. thank you for the help!

15. Acerholic

Good morning, IMO I would not cut it back as suggested to you, but go down the fungacide application route. We have established it is not Verticulum wilt, so probably pseudomonas, which is treatable.
    Yes it is in an advanced stage, but I feel it deserves a chance rather than completely stressing the tree and killing it immediately.
    It may end up going that way as it is so advanced, but I have seen maples recover over a few year period when treated with a fungicide. ( Bordeaux mix).
    Do let us all know what you decide to do. And good luck.

16. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Hi,
    You didn't mention your location, that might help : when you say "this summer", is it just a typo, or do you live in the southern hemisphere ?
    Another detail : I can't see the graft point : is it grafted - in which case the graft point shouldn't be buried, or on its own roots (from a cutting) ?
    Cutting back to where you can't see any dark on the wood sounds very drastic, but if it doesn't leaf out, that may be a last chance option...

17. Acerholic

@Yuxuan Deng good afternoon, I wanted to show you my Bordeaux mix applied to a branch infected with pseudomonas syringae. I make a small amount of 'paste' at a ratio of 1. 1. 10 the last being water.
    It is not an overnight fix, but it does have a good success rate. Hope this helps.
    IMG_20210506_123801041_HDR.jpg

AlainK likes this.
  18. AlainK

That's also what I do...

19. Yuxuan Deng

Yuxuan Deng New Member

Hi @Acerholic thank you for the replies, sorry I got caught up in some school work during the past month so I wasn't active. Unfortunately, it was too late to rescue because I couldn't find the ingredients for a fungicide mix in time and I had to cut the tree back because the infection was spreading extremely rapidly. The good news is after I cut it back, it sprouted. What should I do now? @AlainK I live on the UBC campus and I don't know if it's a graft because I wasn't told the info in Garden Works when I bought it.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

Oh dear, IMO this Sango Kaku should be removed and disposed of. The markings are IMO of Verticulum wilt. This is soil born so everything should be removed. The container if you want to use it again should be washed out with a diluted bleach.
    Even then I would rather not put another Japanese Maple in it. Probably a bit over cautious, but I would hate to see another maple go the same way.
    Alain may disagree and feel it's worth a shot to save from that tiny shoot. But I do not.
    Sorry to be pessimistic.

D

21. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Japanese maple cultivars such as Sango Kaku and Oshi Beni are highly susceptible....
    Plastic shelters have been as good as or better than chemical methods against the same disease on other crops

Maple (Acer spp.)-Bacterial Leaf Spot and Dieback | Pacific Northwest Pest Management Handbooks (pnwhandbooks.org)

(Awhile back I saw that the web site of an Oregon producer of containerized Japanese maples said they had the routine of putting them all under cover in autumn each year before it turned cold and damp specifically to keep them free of bacterial blight)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    0soyoung likes this.
  22. AlainK

Scrap the soil until you see the first roots, then you'll know. Your last photo shows what the bark of a 'Sango kaku' should look like, but if it is grafted, you should repot it so the graft is not buried, if it's a graft.

Where did you buy it from ? If it's from a professional, there's about 99.9% chance that it was grafted.

I don't think the problem with your tree is verticillium.

Extreme emergency room treatment : pull it out, wash the roots, let it stay 15 minutes in warm water with some bleach, rinse thouroughly, and repot in proper soil.

0soyoung likes this.
  23. Yuxuan Deng

Yuxuan Deng New Member

@Acerholic hahaha its dark because a few days after i cut it mold started to grow on the cut, right when i cut it the insides were normal its not verticillium. I was very careful this time to disinfect the saw before and during the cut. Ill let it be for a bit and see what happens. @AlainK thank you for the suggestions, I bought the tree from garden works, the reason i don't think its grafted is because i don't see the point of the graft... Ill monitor how its doing.