Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning everyone, on what is forecast to be rather warm here in the UK today. So whilst I was starting my pruning a few minutes ago, I took these few pics to share.
    The Summer colours are really coming to the fore now.
    Flavescens 257.JPG Fairy lights 257.JPG Mystic jewel 257.JPG Tamukeyama 257.JPG Nigrum 257.JPG Emperor 1 257.JPG Beni otake 257.JPG Hessei 257.JPG Ruslyn in the pink 257.JPG Beni ubi gohon 257.JPG Baldsmith 257.JPG
    Flavescens, Fairy lights, Mystic Jewel, Tamukeyama, Nigrum, Emperor 1,Beni Otaki, Hessei, Ruslyn in the pink, Beni ubi gohon and Baldsmith.

zfrittz, Ghost74, dangerine49 and 6 others like this.
  2. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

Morning D, lovely I needed a bit of cheering up this morning after the arrival of my Black Lace yesterday. I wasn't impressed when I opened the box, after six days in there it's not in very good shape, okay it'll probably be alright next year but at the moment it's in a very sorry state. I won't be ordering anything from this company again.

3. Acerholic

Good morning N, that's not very good at all, 6 days in this heat is going to make it droop. But give it a soak and consider spraying the leaves with some rain water and it should pick up.
    I know you said you would not order from this company again, but was it the couriers fault? As you received it yesterday (Monday), then perhaps the nursery should not have sent it out at the need of last week either.
    Might be worth a phone call to them with a photo of your maple.

D

4. D97x7

Actually your right it could be the couriers fault, it was dispatched last Tuesday. I will give it a spray, good idea, thanks.

5. D97x7

Trust Ukigumo to put a smile back on my face.
    IMG_20210608_115630.jpg IMG_20210608_115601.jpg IMG_20210608_115545.jpg IMG_20210608_115529.jpg

zfrittz, AlainK, dicky5ash and 5 others like this.
  6. Acerholic

D97x7 likes this.
  7. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Hi Lisa - sorry there is misunderstanding - I was saying I wish I had one! If I did it would be the same spot as many..morning sun..protected in the afternoon..the problem I have and I guess we all battle with is having enough space for sun protection in the afternoon..

8. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Oh I was so gonna grab a Flavescens but they didn’t have any I wanted to put it by my rock garden

9. Acerholic

Put it on your wish list Lisa. It will come around again, so leave a space for it in your rock garden.
    I have waited several years for some of mine, then all of a sudden, there one is for sale.

D

Lisa Harry likes this.
  10. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Cheering ourselves up with samaras
    IMG_20210608_204404.jpg

zfrittz, AlainK, wind-borne and 3 others like this.
  11. Acerholic

Looking like a good seed year in Northamptonshire M.

12. dicky5ash

Think it might be D..none on this tree last year..full of electric pink this year!

Attached Files:

zfrittz, AlainK, maf and 2 others like this.
  13. D97x7

A lovely way to start the morning
    IMG_20210609_070500.jpg

14. Acerholic

Good morning everyone. It looks like the heat is going to increase rapidly from today onwards. So after seeing N @D97x7 lovely photo to start the day, I thought I would add a few of mine that don't usually get posted and are still in small pots. Plus a couple of others.
    Komon nishiki 258.JPG Shishio Improved 257.JPG Radiant 257.JPG Rainbow 258.JPG Baby ghost 261.JPG Peaches and cream 257.JPG Sawa chidori 257.JPG Kasagi yama 257.JPG
    Komon nishiki, Shishio Improved, Radiant,Rainbow, Baby ghost,Peaches and cream, Sawa chidori and Kasagiyama.

zfrittz, Xi-feng, AlainK and 4 others like this.
  15. dicky5ash

Three winged samara..from Sango Kagu, not seen one of these before..is it like a 4 leaf clover..and I should buy a lotto ticket tonight?!?!

Higasayama - I love this cultivar..it’s my favourite addition for a long while

Beni Schichihenge

ukigumo and friends

Asahi Zuru

Chikuma no

Wakehurst pink, J.Attaryi and others

Metamorphosa..synonym Arjos1

Emma

Various - Autumn moon at centre

Attached Files:

zfrittz, dangerine49, maf and 5 others like this.
  16. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

17. Acerholic

I've had two and lost both, so to see yours makes me very happy that it does do well somewhere else in the UK. And looking at yours R its doing wonderfully well.

D

dicky5ash likes this.
  18. Acerholic

That's another for the synonym thread....

19. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I'm not sure what causes this : I found several a few years ago (I don't remember on which one) but haven't seen any since then.

dicky5ash likes this.
  20. Acerholic

I'll be watching the lotto results for winners in Northampton this week then R.....Lol.

dicky5ash likes this.
  21. AlainK

You won't be disappointed, it's become one of my favourite : I bought it very cheap as a special offer from a gardening magazine that I only bought one copy - ;°D

Lisa Harry likes this.
  22. AlainK

I had my penne rigate with pesto sauce in front of the TV today, and there was a report on a guy who grows 4-leaf clovers, a genetic mutation. He works with someones who makes resin inclusion (?) things like key-rings or pendants.

I have a sister who had the reputation of being the best 4-leaf clover finder in the region.

She's 72 and had not had to wear glasses until a couple of years ago, this probbably explains that... ;°)

BTW, I learned in this report that the French word "trèfle" comes from "trifolium".

dicky5ash likes this.
  23. dicky5ash

Were the ones you lost smaller trees?
    When taking these photos I noticed my Berry Broom in a very bad way..it’s been problematic every year for the last 3 years (6yr old tree 25mm trunk)..leafs out lovely then terrible die back..have had it in dappled sun..there despite the dieback there were probably 50% leaves still on it..just looked and it seems the remainder have shrivelled up

24. Acerholic

One around 6 years old and the other a replacement that got to 3 years old.
    Re your Berry Broom having troubles, this seems to be a constant thing this Spring. Leafing out ok then shrivling leaves.
    I think the very difficult March and April is now taking it's toll tbh.
    There is hope of a second flush in a few weeks and perhaps a bit later this year due to the cold April.
    I was talking to a friend earlier and he said he has lost a few this year, but he did remind me of a conversation we had last October, when we were talking about so many maples that were still putting out new growth. How easy it is to forget!!
    But now it comes back to bite with severe die back.

D

25. dicky5ash

That’s really disappointing loosing 2, not as if they were 2year grafts. That “Pixie” of mine that looked rough, is now looking much better, now 2nd flush has come through..although commercially labeled I don’t think I it is a Pixie as it’s grown so fast!!