Maple Spacing

Discussion in 'Maples' started by D97x7, Jun 6, 2021.

1. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

Good morning, I'm thinking of getting rid of the Dogwood between the Crimson Queen and Koto No Ito to give them some more space, but I'd also like to put another acer in between them, ie a Summer Gold. So my question is would SG, look good between the two and more importantly would it be too close to the others?
    Also open to suggestions on another cultivar to fill the space, assuming one would fit. FB_IMG_1622964463140.jpg

Contact82 and Acerholic like this.
  2. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

I think Summer Gold would look fantastic in that spot - you'll have those three strong colours of red-yellow-green that will make each of them just pop (do iiiiiiiitttttt.....!)

I would imagine as long as you're diligent about pruning if one of them starts outsizing the others then the spacing should be fine: you'll get a lovely mingling of leaves on either side if you let some of the side branches stretch out, too.

D97x7 likes this.
  3. D97x7

Thank you, that is just what I was hoping.

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Wow Summer gold in-between those two. I like it N.

D97x7 likes this.
  5. D97x7

Well the dogwood has gone, thought I'd get on with it being a it was a pleasant afternoon. I'm having second thoughts though about the Summer Gold as I realised that it's probably not a sunny enough spot for it. So I think I'll just leave it as is for the time being, see how the two maples get on now they have more room, I can always put a potted plant in there to fill the gap while they decide what to do.
    IMG_20210606_193811.jpg

Acerholic and Xi-feng like this.
  6. D97x7

Actually, now I come to think about the it, I have a rather large concrete bird table tucked away down the garden that I've been wondering what to do with for years, hmmm.

7. Xi-feng

Ooof, I bet that was a bit of work! Good idea to take it slowly if you're reconsidering - as they say, the trees aren't going anywhere in a hurry (though it's a shame if it's not sunny enough, I really do think a Summer Gold would have been perfect there otherwise!)

Lucky birds, in the meanwhile!

D97x7 likes this.
  8. Acerholic

But what a lovely quandary to have N, 'room' !!! Lol.

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  9. Xi-feng

(Ooooh, I fully expect one of our more knowledgeable members to correct me, but if the space isn't sunny enough for a Summer Gold but you're looking for a yellow upright, do you think a Jordan might be happy there?)

Acerholic likes this.
  10. D97x7

That's sounds like a good suggestion actually, especially as I do in fact have one that I haven't decided what to do with yet. Hmmm, decisions...

Xi-feng likes this.
  11. Xi-feng

Serendipity!

D97x7 likes this.
  12. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I do feel those two maples will want to fill out quite a bit growing in the ground as they are - the bird table might be the better idea in the long term. Difficult to judge the absolute scale from the pictures but if there is not enough room for the dogwood there is probably not enough room for a maple. Jordan or something similar would look good there but will likely involve a lot of pruning in the long term to keep all of them happy. The other option is to keep a potted maple in the gap for a couple of years before eventually moving it if need be... quite a nice problem to have tbh...

D97x7 likes this.
  13. D97x7

I think I am going to try the bird table first, I have been wanting to use it somewhere for a long time as my grandfather made it over fifty years ago, I couldn't put it out in a prominent position because I was concerned the dogs could knock it over and do themselves a serious injury, but tucked in there I think it'd be safe. I'll get on it tomorrow.

Acerholic, maf and Xi-feng like this.
  14. Xi-feng

Please post pics.... and keep us updated!

Acerholic, maf and D97x7 like this.
  15. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I see 3 fine-leaved maples in your photo and think a contrasting plant would look good in the empty space where the dogwood was. Don't forget that the maples on either side will become larger unless you take pains to keep them pruned. If it were me, I'd put a big, fat hosta in pot between the 2 on the right so you still have some flexibility before deciding what you might plant permanently. In my mind, a bird table shouldn't take up valuable garden space when it could easily be put on a deck or on the lawn.

D97x7 likes this.
  16. D97x7

I do love hostas, had quite a few over the years, just never been able to keep them in good condition for very long as they always get eaten by the usual suspects unfortunately.

17. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Many hostas do very well in pots. Before you give up on them, why not try putting one or two in pots where you can control slugs and give them the water they need when they need it. Although I don't consider myself a big hosta fan, they are very considerate, useful and, yes, beautiful plants.

D97x7 likes this.
  18. D97x7

I'll certainly give it some thought when I go out later, there's probably enough room for the bird table towards the back with a couple of pots in front actually, that would look nice I think.

19. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Heh, the slugs and snails don't let me do hostas either, although I like them very much.

It looks to me like your gap is 1.5-2m maybe, which I think would make the SG very crowded after only 5 years or so. So I agree with @maf.

For a maple I'd try more with a low growing, spreading laceleaf or dwarf. Kiyo hime? you could train up the Koto no ito a bit to let it safely invade that space eventually. Another option would be A. buergerianum 'Mino yatsubusa', which would make a nice dark green contrast.

But it's a small space, so perhaps the bird bath is a good option!

D97x7 likes this.
  20. D97x7

Got it there after a struggle and I'm quite pleased with how it looks for now. IMG_20210607_113821.jpg
    Even straightened Koto up a bit.
    IMG_20210607_112026.jpg IMG_20210607_112431.jpg
    Although I'm not sure you can tell from the pictures.
    Time for a cup of tea and a sandwich I think.

Xi-feng, Acerholic, maf and 2 others like this.
  21. Acerholic

Very nice N, well done. Can I make one observation, is that brown fencing necessary? I think if it were me I would remove it and plant a few hostas around the base of the bird bath.
    Just a thought !!

D97x7 likes this.
  22. D97x7

I know, not very pleasant is it, but I'm afraid it's the only way to keep my two mastiffs out of the beds until something substantial has grown there.

23. Acerholic

Ahhh understood N. A necessity then.

24. Riverdale27

Riverdale27 Active Member

If it is not sunny enough... how about a Jordan? Or a Sode Nishiki?

D97x7 likes this.
  25. D97x7

Both good suggestions, but I've decided to see how the Crimson Queen and Koto No Ito fill out.