Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning, on a beautiful sunny and warm start here in Southern England, a pot of coffee sat among my trees is just how I like a Sunday to start the day and share a few photos with my forum friends of course. So here are a few that looked nice in the sunshine a few minutes ago.

English Town
    English Town 245.JPG
    Sunset
    Sunset 245.JPG
    Pixie
    Pixie 245.JPG
    Fujinami nishiki
    Fujinami nishiki 245.JPG
    Autumn Moon
    Autumn moon 245.JPG
    Otome zakura
    Otome zakura 245.JPG
    Ryusen
    Ryusen 245.JPG

2. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

To me Pink passion is very close if not similar to Shirazz. My Shirazz looks very much like your Pink passion and not much like the GGW and if you google both you get very similar pictures. One for your synonym/similar list D, imo!

Ghost74 likes this.
  3. KirstyP

KirstyP New Member

I think my heart stopped for a moment- imagining the joy of nurturing these beauties. What an absolutely beguiling group!! I can't imagine how much devotion went into their care. Something about maples, it isn't just the foliage, but the quality of their shade, the crazy spectrum - so many shapes and colors... Thank you so much for sharing! (I now need to have a maple in my life- but have to do my homework with my small yard, and root competition! I have one small maple, but would love a vine maple...) Thank you SO much for sharing!

4. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

Careful Kirsty, they're exceedingly addictive lol

Xi-feng, Keith Elliott and Acerholic like this.
  5. Acerholic

You are very welcome Kirsty and thankyou for the very kind comments. I do hope you go down the route of getting another maple for your garden. The Vine maple is perfectly suited to where you live and is far hardier than the palmatum cultivars that you will see a lot of on this forum. It also has some wonderful Autumn colours to enjoy year after year after... I think you get my point, lol.
    Do stop by this forum now and again in the future Kirsty now you have found it and especially with a photo or two of your maple and possibly your new acquisition.

D

6. Acerholic

Good morning M, yes I think it could be placed on that thread as a similar to. I think Dan @Ghost74 would agree that the similarities would warrant this.

Ghost74 likes this.
  7. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

A couple* more from this lovely, sunny Sunday afternoon. Trying to focus on the ones I haven't photographed before, though some blatant favouritism showing through too.

(* I am sticking with this wording in solidarity with @Keith Elliott 's missus!)

20210530 Beni Maiko.jpg 20210530 Impostor.jpg 20210530 Shirazz.jpg 20210530 Bloodgood.jpg 20210530 Koto no Ito.jpg 20210530 Sango Kaku.jpg 20210530 Beni Otake.jpg 20210530 Pixie.jpg 20210530 Hupps Red Willow.jpg 20210530 Uncle Ghost.jpg 20210530 Mei Jishi.jpg 20210530 Sister Ghost.jpg 20210530 Kotohime.jpg 20210530 Okushimo.jpg

8. Xi-feng

And hopefully this is allowed - a few group shots, along with some incidental appearances by my helpful assistant gardeners...
    20210530 Grouping.jpg 20210530-4.jpg 20210530-6.jpg
    20210530 Beni Maiko, Koto no Ito.jpg 20210530-1.jpg 20210530-7.jpg

9. Acerholic

Not enough ladies on the maples forum, so good for you Xi.
    Beautiful sunny Sunday afternoon photos, very enjoyable indeed.

From one of the men, lol.

D

Xi-feng likes this.
  10. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

Sounds perfectly logical to me, and I'm certain Val won't mind at all. More likely she will say, "I told you so, don't you know what a couple is yet?"

Acerholic and Xi-feng like this.
  11. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

Your garden assistants must be the new "Acer" breed of dogs, yes? Stunning maples by the way!

Xi-feng likes this.
  12. Xi-feng

I'm with Val on this one, Keith. You'll learn someday, haha!

Dwarf varieties, at that!

(Thank you!)

Keith Elliott likes this.
  13. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

Sunshine through a Purple Ghost
    IMG_20210530_173212.jpg IMG_20210530_173233.jpg

Ghost74, Xi-feng, Acerholic and 5 others like this.
  14. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Great photos, the kind of moment, and impressions, we would all love to catch...

D97x7 likes this.
  15. Acerholic

D97x7 likes this.
  16. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

circinatum with morning dew this time...

05.29.21 06.23.18 AM.jpeg 05.29.21 06.21.24 AM.jpeg

17. Acerholic

18. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

? on my end as well, LOL

19. Acerholic

Lol.

20. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Hello Everyone, well slowly increasing my collection and I blame @Acerholic @Luke’s Maples @emery and @AlainK for the obsession and suggestions ;). My birthday is coming soon and my whole plan has been to get my yard filled so here are some of the newest members to my garden family “Orangeola weeping JM” and the Tsuma Gaki as well a gift from a girlfriend coral bark! They are so gorgeous and on my list for a bit I have a couple more to grab next week!! I slip pot/ up pot the orangeola the tsuma gaki doesn’t look like it should be done right now and my friend wants to get me a pot for the coral bark so I have to wait.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

Good morning Lisa, so sorry that we have got you addicted, but not really Lol. Those are three wonderful specimens and that Orangeola is just fantastic.
    You hear of so many people buying the very small grafts and a year later they have died, but you will have no problems with strong trees like that at all.
    I've really enjoyed waking up and seeing this posting, certainly given some cheer over here today.

D

22. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Thanks @Acerholic I'm in love with them all especially that tsuma gaki it’s just amazing. I hope I can keep these alive as I said I’m no green thumb that’s why I try to get more established trees, I believe they survive because of the love and attention I give them not by anything horticultural . I have a couple more I’m getting on Monday and then I think I’ll have hit my limit in the yard. Did you see my post updating my partners tree that I pruned last year it did amazingly well. I posted before and after pics

23. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi @Lisa Harry , I think your trees look great, really nice size on the 'Orangeola' and the 'Tsuma gaki' looks very healthy to me. It's not the easiest to grow, so starting out right is important.

Since I was out taking some pics today, I thought I'd show you mine of these 3 in the garden. All grown from 2 yr liner grafts in 3l pots, 'Tsuma gaki' has been not too healthy for me, and I only planted it this spring. The pics are 'Orangeola' in the older part of the Aceretum (surrounded by other maples of course!), 'Tsuma gaki' in the new part, another of 'Orangeola' from a different view, and two views of 'Sango kaku' in the inner back garden. You can see things are so late here, a Liquidambar behind the SK is only just coming into leaf; we had many late frosts (like a lot of us). The 'Orangeola' and SK were quite heavily damaged but have pretty much fought things off -- though I won't show you close ups! -- and somehow TG didn't freeze.

IMG_20210531_134149_v1.jpg IMG_20210531_134240_v1.jpg IMG_20210531_134407_v1.jpg IMG_20210531_134609_v1.jpg IMG_20210531_134638_v1.jpg

24. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Wow @emery those are lovely, the ideas I get from other peoples gardens is gonna break my bank! You are late in the season this year. I’m in the lower mainland of British Columbia Canada which is entirely different from the rest of BC and I have harvested my veggie garden since the 2nd week of May. Excuse the yard it’s being done in fall. (Pics from May 13) I feel this year we are early cause our winter was very mild this year.

Attached Files:

AlainK and Xi-feng like this.
  25. Acerholic

No I didn't Lisa. Where did you post it?