Acer palmatum 'Pixie'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by yweride, May 17, 2005.

1. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

Thanks D, good to hear it is probably ‘just’ our changing climate or stronger solar strength, lol. Strange year indeed. Hopefully we will get to enjoy some amazing fall colours.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@MapleMO Agreed M. They are all changing fast now.

3. Acerholic

5th September 2020 and the diary continues, each day has a new colour on the leaves now. And tbh some rather strange colours this year.
    So posted this for M @MapleMO. My Bloodgood is even weirder!!!

Attached Files:

MapleMO likes this.
  4. Acerholic

13th September 2020 and the sun is shining and it is getting warmer and warmer once again. So I hope my photo conveys this lovely near Autumn day.

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

21st September 2020, the day before the Equinox and I'm surprised my Pixie is still OK. It was moved last week and I'm having no adverse effects, atm !!!!

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

25th September 2020 and some colours are more subtle than others. But that is the beauty of maples they are all so different and often the same tree is different year on year. This is why they are loved the world over.
    Lots of rain and hail yesterday and my Pixie is doing OK.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

4th October 2020and my Pixie is looking rather nice in the rain.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

4th April 2021, so 6 months since the last entry and here we go for another what is hoped a good year for our maples. My Pixie is starting off quite nicely IMO.
    Pixie 177.JPG

9. Acerholic

22nd April 2021 and after 15 nights of frosts, here is my Pixie this morning. Not too bad IMO.
    Pixie 190.JPG

10. Acerholic

29th April 2021 and I've posted this today after a discussion yesterday with an avid collector asking what I think of the colour changes on this cultivar. So here it is and I will post regularly as the season progresses.
    Pixie 207.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  11. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

Pixie is my favorite upright red tree. Unfortunately it has suffered from some dieback this year and I will cut it back in June. Hopefully it is just because of the hard frosts and not something more serious. It does have great spring colour this year.

Attached Files:

Xi-feng, Acerholic and D97x7 like this.
  12. Acerholic

So many have been hit M, but they will recover, especially Pixie.

MapleMO likes this.
  13. Acerholic

30th May 2021 and I wanted to show how my Pixie this year is having one of those lighter colour years. This happens now and again with this cultivar I find. Almost as if it's having a little bit of a rest.
    Pixie 245.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  14. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Pixie is a new one for me, but I'm excited to have something that's more sun-tolerant than the rest of my collection. Looking forward to seeing how this one develops!
    20210530 Pixie.jpg

15. Acerholic

It is officially a dwarf, but I've seen some that are 15ft tall and hardly a dwarf. But it's slow growing and is more than happy in full sun. Looks rather nice near a bright green or yellow also.
    Yours is a little darker than mine Xi, maybe a pot v ground!!? But it can vary year on year with this one, as I mentioned in my posting #63 earlier today.
    You will be extremely happy with this little tree and it will probably become quite a favourite for you !!

Xi-feng likes this.
  16. Xi-feng

Thanks D yes, I wonder if it's environmental differences - or as you mentioned, yours is 'taking a break' this year and will be back with a vengeance next year when it's my little tree's turn to be a bit paler!

17. Acerholic

Well let's see next year then Xi, I will look forward to your posting in May 2022, and I have just set a reminder to do the same. As you said yesterday ' isn't this forum fun'.

Xi-feng likes this.
  18. Xi-feng

Sounds like a great plan!

19. Xi-feng

Pixie in the rain:

20210604 Pixie.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  20. Acerholic

I reccomend this cultivar to anybody who loves Bloodgood, but does not have the room. Your photo is a very good advert Xi.

Xi-feng likes this.
  21. Acerholic

23rd June 2021 and we are now into Summer colours. Not so bright as Spring and Autumn, but just as as pretty IMO.
    Pixie 275.JPG

22. Acerholic

13th July 2021 and after a months worth of rain last night, here is my very wet Pixie this morning.
    Pixie 301.JPG

23. Xi-feng

New growth on Pixie:

20210828 Pixie.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  24. Xi-feng

A green start to the year:

20220326 Pixie.jpg

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  25. Acerholic

Xi-feng likes this.