Acer palmatum 'Gwen's Rose Delight' or 'Shirazz'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by arnaut, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Nik

Nik Contributor

Two years ago it was a tiny stump, because of a delivery man damage. I saved it in a pot and then transplanted it back in the ground. Colors are definitely prettier in the shade.

Attached Files:

Xi-feng, Acerholic and AlainK like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

'GOOD SAVE' N !!

3. Acerholic

7th May 2021 and my Shirazz is one of the very late to leaf out for me this year. As you can see in my photo this morning !!
    Shirazz 219.JPG

4. Acerholic

18th May 2021 and the lovely colours of my Shirazz are now here at last. It coped well, with all the frosts.
    Shirazz 230.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  5. Nik

Nik Contributor

May 19, early morning. It gets mid-late morning sunshine and afternoon shade.

Attached Files:

Xi-feng, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  6. Acerholic

Lovely contrast to your decking N. Well placed!!

7. Acerholic

23rd May 2021 and after discussing this one last night on the forum, I thought I would show mine this morning.
    Shirazz 236.JPG Shirazz 235.JPG

MapleMO, D97x7 and Xi-feng like this.
  8. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

Shirazz is colourful almost all season long. Pictures from this spring. Last picture shows a reversion I am guessing. Last year I also pruned a small branch in this same area which showed the same big red leaves.

Attached Files:

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  9. Acerholic

Everyone should have one !!!
    Good idea to prune out the plain red leaves M. They will take over so very quickly.

MapleMO likes this.
  10. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

A very small one - but it was at death's door when it first arrived, so I'm chuffed it's pulled through:
    20210530 Shirazz.jpg

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  11. Acerholic

I do love success stories. This has brought a smile to my face, well done you.
    Now I must take a photo of mine for tomorrow morning to share with you.

Xi-feng likes this.
  12. Xi-feng

Thank you, oh yes especially since it didn't seem to get better for quite a while after I got it, and seemed to be struggling right up until a week or so ago when it suddenly turned a corner. I love the pics you've posted of yours (and they were instrumental in making me want a Shirazz of my own!) so I'm looking forward to seeing your photo tomorrow morning!

13. Acerholic

Thanks Xi, I promise to add them.

14. Acerholic

31st May 2021 and as promised to Xi @Xi-feng last night, here are a few shots of some pinks of my Shirazz a few minutes ago.
    Shirazz 246.JPG Shirazz  247.JPG Shirazz 248.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  15. Xi-feng

Oh D that's a complete showstopper, isn't it? What a pretty Shirazz - thank you for posting pics!

16. Acerholic

Your welcome Xi. Have a lovely Bank Holiday.

D

Xi-feng likes this.
  17. Del

Del Well-Known Member Maple Society

This is my Shirazz, picture taken this morning, I repotted it last year and it was very poor, in fact I thought I would lose it, but this year it’s come back lovely. By comparison, at the bottom of the picture is my young Geisha gone wild, the pink is nowhere near as bright, but it appears more vigorous than Shirazz.
    D CFC6522A-233C-467C-A817-0509853AB543.jpeg

18. Xi-feng

So pleased with how well this one's bouncing back:

20210604 Shirazz.jpg

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  19. Acerholic

A little bit of sun and water, leave them alone and most do bounce back, when often we have written them off. Great to see that's what you have done Xi.

Xi-feng likes this.
  20. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I have two.
    One that was kept in the shade for the past 3 years, not so much variegation any more. I think it needs repotting and a more sunny place :

acerp-gwensro_210605a.jpg

I bought the other one 3 years ago at a plant fair, it was very small, the base of the trunk no more than 3 or 4 millimeters in diameter. It had a couple of very strange leaves with a brown curly lobe and was so small that I wasn't even sure it was a "Shirazz" - matazz ;0)

This one suffered a bit from the frost, it had flowers that dried up, but it's recovering, and some of the leaves are still quite odd :

acerp-gwensro-2_210605a.jpg acerp-gwensro-2_210605b.jpg acerp-gwensro-2_210605c.jpg

And it's the same cultivar, well-identified (at least by the grafters/sellers).

Which shows once again how difficult it is to answer the 64-million-bitcoin question : "What cultivar is my maples?" <LOL>

;-)

Xi-feng, maf and Acerholic like this.
  21. Acerholic

I think this sentence should be used for every request from now on to ID a maple with a lost tag.

22. Acerholic

After a request from a long standing member of the maples forum. I have today 5th June 2021 removed the thread on Shirazz and moved all postings related to that synonym to here.
    I will also announce this on the Cheering ourselves up with maples thread and Spring colour 2021 so that members will be able to see what has been done and for future reference.
    D

23. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

;-)

A

24. Acerholic

6th June 2021 and as this was discussed here and on PM's last night, here is my Gwens Rose Delight or Shirazz this morning.
    Gwens rose delight or Shirazz 255.JPG Gwens rose delight or Shirazz 256.JPG

maf, D97x7 and Xi-feng like this.
  25. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Just to clarify some points on the merging of the threads on "'Gwen's Rose Delight' or 'Shirazz'" and "'Shirazz'" I thought I would repeat some information from earlier in the thread and add some thoughts.

The original cultivar name was 'Gwen's Rose Delight' as evidenced by the plant patent document for this maple.

The early labels had Shirazz TM in big letters without quotes followed by 'Gwen's Rose Delight' in small letters. This indicated 'Gwen's Rose Delight' was the actual cultivar name and that Shirazz TM was a marketing name or unregistered trademark. Not sure if they still do this, but probably not.

As the plant was patented and could be sold only under licence, and Shirazz was the preferred marketing name of the rights holder, then 99.9% of people who ever bought one would have bought it as Shirazz. Also, the 4th edition of 'Japanese Maples' has it listed as Shirazz with no mention of 'Gwen.R.D.' which further adds to the confusion.

Circa 2009 the forum got around the two name problem by having two entries in the palmatum cultivars gallery that both directed to the same thread. That way, whichever name you clicked on you ended up in the same thread and all the information and pictures were together. Apparently this feature is no longer possible with the new froum software - that's progress for you! I am not sure if there is another solution that can be implemented to address the two name issue but I hope something will come to light in time to help avoid future confusion.

Acerholic likes this.