Acer palmatum 'Emerald Lace'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

All the colours are appearing now on all my maples and as promised I will keep the photo diary going to show the transformation. So much rain now and new growth, the new shoots are loving this weather at last.
    My Emerald lace is just reaching out everywhere atm.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

5th September 2020 and the diary continues, each day has a new colour on the leaves now. And tbh some rather strange colours this year.
    An oldie but a goody as they say. Emerald lace has performed all Summer and now in transition towards Autumn.

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

8th September 2020 and the heat is returning, but very cloudy. My maples will enjoy this as long as there is no more new growth.
    All these colours in transition to Autumn, a maple to have near a dark fence or dark companion plant !!!?

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

A lot of PM's last night asking about many of my cultivars, so here this morning, 11th September 2020 is my English lace. So much has changed in a few days.

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

23rd September 2020 and the first full day of Autumn. We have lots of rain so the dissectums come into their own IMO.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

28th September 2020 and after a few days of cold it's going to be warm again. 20° C. Strange year !!! The sun was shining just right this morning on my Emerald lace. So I thought I would share it.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

13th October 2020 and the weather is now affecting the late new growth on my Emerald lace. But the contrasts are rather nice IMO.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

25th October 2020 and my Emerald lace is starting to colour up when many others in my collection have now dropped all their leaves.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

29th October and blink and you miss the colours. It only lasts for a few days on some cultivars. So get out there and enjoy even if the weather is bad as it is here atm.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

1st November 2020 and my Emerald lace has all the delicate colours I expect from this cultivar at this time of the year.

Attached Files:

D97x7 and AlainK like this.
  11. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Rather flashy colours on mine, next to a Tamarix which is still green on the lower branches :

acerp-emerald_201101a.jpg acerp-emerald_201101b.jpg

D97x7 likes this.
  12. Acerholic

@AlainK I have just reccomended Emerald lace to a friend who only has one maple. The Autumn colours convinced him. Expect you reccomend this cultivar also !!!?

13. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Definitely ! Very elegant. Mine can stand a reasonable amount of sun and I've never seen any disease on it.

14. Acerholic

3rd November 2020 the sun is shining and so is my Emerald lace. I sat and had an afternoon coffee in the garden just staring at this tree glowing. So it had to be shared.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

18th November 2020 and when all around us atm is turmoil and fear from this horrible disease, my Emerald lace this morning gave me some calm time.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

29th November 2020 and yes only two days since my last but the sun was shining down on my Emerald lace after a day of rain, so I had to take this photo and share.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

14th April 2021 and my Emerald lace has just started up for another year, so here it is with those Spring greens it is so well known for.
    Emerald lace 189.JPG

18. Acerholic

19th April 2021 and as it was so lovely and sunny, I wanted to give an update on this delicate maple after nearly two weeks of quite hard overnight frosts.
    Not too bad IMO.
    Emerald lace 197.JPG

19. Acerholic

28th April 2021 and my Emerald Lace with early morning sun and some slate, pebbles and rocks around it, makes for a perfect start to the day IMO.
    Emerald lace 206.JPG

20. Acerholic

12th May 2021 and my Emerald Lace is now looking as I expect it to.
    Emerald Lace 224.JPG Emerald Lace 225.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  21. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

This tree is going to be a project, since its two main branches cross and rub against one another so I suspect I'm going to have to prune one off completely. Putting it off for now, as I'm a little nervous about taking so much away all in one go. It's a lovely little thing aside from the structural issue, though:

20210529 Emerald Lace.jpg

Acerholic and D97x7 like this.
  22. Acerholic

Or some aesthetic wiring Xi !!?

23. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Hmm, I was considering that as an alternative but not really sure where to start -- both branches are quite stiff and don't seem to want to be guided, so I think it would need to be some pretty hefty wire at this point!

24. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

How about a champagne cork between the two, like I saw on here recently.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  25. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

Or wire one branch to a stake and gently tighten it in the coming months

Xi-feng likes this.