Cicadas

Discussion in 'Celebrate Biodiversity' started by Barbara Lloyd, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

I lived in Japan from 2010 - 2014: in my last apartment there was an empty field just across the road, and the noise the cicadas made was deafening.... but also the most amazing thing to fall asleep to on those hot summer nights with the windows open. It's something I really miss these days - nothing like it.

(That said, my enthusiasm for them was slightly dulled one evening when I was walking to my local izakaya (pub) to meet a friend, minding my own business, and a huge cicada took it upon itself to leap out of a bush at me making the most sudden, unholy noise I've ever heard. I think a couple of people must have had a good laugh watching the foreign girl shriek and take off running in a blind panic for no apparent reason...)

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

My wife is the same Xi, so you are not alone. Lol.
    I think they may be coming out in the New Forest this year, if it ever gets warm enough. So if you head down that way, the noise might bring back some memories of Japan for you.

Xi-feng likes this.
  3. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Haha, normally I was fine with them, but I certainly didn't appreciate being jump-scared by one when I was minding my business! Seemed a bit mean-spirited, really.

I had no idea that we have them in this country - the New Forest has just gone on my list of places to visit (although it really should have been there already...!)

4. Acerholic

Oh yes Xi it really should. Some lovely ancient woodland walks, but it does get very busy in the school Summer hols. So this time is best avoided IMO.

Xi-feng likes this.
  5. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Development, pesticide use and the presence of invasive species are destroying historic populations of Brood X cicadas, while climate change spurs bugs from different broods to come up years early, experts say. The disruption of these cycles means some places that were expecting cicadas this year will miss out, while others may be surprised by an unscheduled emergence.

The Case of the Disappearing Cicadas

Melancholy, if unsurprising, news to native Long Islanders (myself included).
    Similar situation here in Columbus---so much acreage paved over, so many trees cut down.

For those Forum members who are citizen-science-minded, here is a way to contribute your knowledge:
    Cicada Safari
    Good information here too.

Cicada song for me signals summer's coda, heard in heated air months in the slow-oven baking. As plants follow the seasons so do insects: the strident rattle that intensifies with temperature will soon lessen, to be replaced by quiet cricket chirps.
    Time is; time was; time passes.

I am amused by the fact that many cicada species share the genus Magicicada.

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    Acerholic and Margot like this.
  6. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

That reads like poetry.

Georgia Strait and Acerholic like this.
  7. Acerholic

Great links and lovely reading, thanks @togata57. As Margot says, it was like poetry!!!

8. togata57

One for you, Acerholic, Xi-feng, and all members in the UK:

There are 2000 described species of cicada universally but only one of these is in the UK

Being the only Cicada native to the UK and only being found in one area of the UK, the New forest cicada is classed as endangered and in great danger of becoming extinct.

New forest cicada | Bug Directory | Buglife.

As link below informs, the New Forest cicada's range includes Europe and Asia, but it has largely disappeared from these areas and is considered endangered where still present:
    Cicadetta montana - Wikipedia

Possible cause for optimism:
    C. montana also disappeared between 1941 and 1961, so their current absence may be part of a cycle.

And---now, as in millennia past, one person's pleasure is another's pain:
    Their shrilling was venerated by the ancient Greeks, but detested by Virgil.
    Oh, I dunno. Bet there were a few ancient Greeks who could take cicadas or leave them alone.
    Aristophanes, anyone? Seems to me that cicadas would have provided rich metaphor for political satire!

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    Acerholic likes this.
  9. Acerholic

Thanks for this @togata57, they were a regular visitor back in the 50's and 60's when I used to ride around the New Forest and also in the 70's when they covered the golf course, (Bramshaw) that I played on daily.
    But as you say they are endangered now. In the years I worked in the New Forest up until retirement a few years back, everyone was still waiting to see them. But this year might be the year, although it's been too cold for them, as this Spring has been the coldest in over 60 years.

10. Acerholic

11. togata57

A single cicada went viral on Thursday after crawling up the CNN congressional correspondent Manu Raju’s neck while he was filming.
    “The context here is important here,” Raju said. “A couple minutes before that happened, there was actually another cicada that allegedly fell out of my pocket. And that happened as I was waiting to go on.”

‘Oh my God!’: cicada crawls up CNN reporter’s neck on air

12. Acerholic

I think many millions of others would react the same. An amazing piece of nature Yes, but not something many would want crawling on your body.

13. Acerholic

A survey over the last couple of days in the New Forest here in Southern England is taking place to look for the rare Cicada.
    BBC News - App to aid rare New Forest cicada hunt
    App to aid rare New Forest cicada hunt
    It will be intersting to hear the results as they have not been seen in 20 years.

14. Acerholic

So much news about atm about Cicadas, but nothing here yet in the New Forest. 30°C this weekend, so will they be tempted above ground ???
    Saw this article a few minutes ago, which raises a smile.
    Cicadas Have Arrived, Part 2: The Loitering
    Cicadas Have Arrived, Part 2: The Loitering

[​IMG]
    The cicadas are single and ready to mingle, as you can see by this trio of them hanging out on our backyard pear tree. There certainly are a lot of them all of a sudden. I hope they find love and that their kids will pop by in 2038. You know, like you do.

15. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
  16. Acerholic

17. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Georgia Strait and wcutler like this.
  18. Acerholic

Did you have to tell me that Daniel !!! LOL.

19. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'll add a quote, which they quoted on page 27: "eighty per cent of the world eats insects with pleasure.”

The colour additives bit was interesting, re: carmine and cochineal extract, starting around page 45.

That article isn't as daunting to read as it would appear - way more than half of it is footnotes.

20. Acerholic

wcutler likes this.
  21. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

The opening video is fun to watch. Then scroll down.

That's such a good read, Acerholic - your best link ever! The photos and videos are excellent and the text is interesting.

Acerholic likes this.
  22. Acerholic

Well ot looks like brood X is on it's way out now, but brood XIV is on it's way in 2025.
    The other thing from this article that might interest members in the forum, is the egg laying and the signs of tree leaves turning brown as a consequence.
    Perhaps something for long time members to be on the lookout for when a new posting comes in asking the question.... Why is this happening in my area??
    WLWT Cincinnati: Cicadas mainly gone in Cincinnati, but eggs will soon hatch.
    Cicadas mainly gone in Cincinnati, but eggs will soon hatch

There is some great photographic art in the video also.

D

23. Acerholic

There are now apps that can be used to trace Cicadas. Technology is helping. But the increase in human population and all that it brings, is causing concern for the future of the Cicadas that have been around for 5 million years.
    IndyStar: It's been 4 weeks since cicadas emerged across Indiana. What have we learned about them?.
    Brood X cicadas in Indiana have taught us about what makes them tick