Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

Got them out, tried a bit of positioning, decided it was too soon, so put them back again, just like toys really. It was fun to have a play though.
    IMG_20210525_101728.jpg IMG_20210525_104435.jpg

zfrittz, Shin-Deshojo, AlainK and 4 others like this.
  2. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

I’m enjoying this unknown cultivar more and more each week when I stop and have a real look at it. Wish I knew what it was but hey... is it that important?

Attached Files:

3. Luke’s Maples

Anybody here a Monty Python fan?

Excuse please, this tree is corked!

Thanks to whoever it was (huge apologises for not remembering) that gave me this idea. Before I was using stones but of course it was pointed out that it can damage the bark. Anyway I’m now saving my corks! ;-)

Thanks

Attached Files:

4. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

It's a bit like 'Ryuzu' in form, can't remember if anyone mentioned that last time you posted?... But.. does it now look variegated?

It may be best to start a new thread on it so that the info and pics over the season can be kept together...

5. Luke’s Maples

I took a couple of pics while the sun was out, hopefully you will all like them..

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Bigger in the ground K. This is why our Bonsai friends like to grow their trees in the ground for many years before potting up to get that large trunk size.
    In a pot where you restrict the root growth you will also get less top growth.

7. Acerholic

Absolutely not Luke. You have a lovely tree there and that is all that matters.
    And you now know everybody on the forum likes it a lot, so that makes it even more special.

8. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Oh @Luke’s Maples , as if we needed any more excuses to have a tipple over the Bank holiday weekend!

(genius idea, whoever's it was!)

9. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

It was me ! As for "Excuse please, this tree is corked!", I don't know this line, Monty Python nonsense humour was not trendy here when they were on TV, they became popular when they made films.

But I heard that "spam" came from one of their TV shows, and of course, I sometimes used "The larch" when posting some of mine on bonsai forums ;0)

5-Larch_210525a.jpg larix12-10_210525a.jpg mlz9403_210525a.jpg

10. Acerholic

Good morning everyone, a cold but bright start to the day here. Today I wanted to show a few of mine that range from 3ft to 15ft tall and at various ages, with a couple that are 43 years of age. (two dissectums). I was asked to post these by @KirstyP, so here they are.
    Autumn Gold 240.JPG Ariake Nomura 240.JPG Amber ghost 240.JPG Green dissectum 240.JPG Butterfly 240.JPG Skeeters Broom 240.JPG Sango kaku 240.JPG Reticulatum 240.JPG Atropurpureum 240.JPG Red dissectum 240.JPG Red Flash 240.JPG Osakasuki 240.JPG Katsura Going Green and Beni Maiko  240.JPG
    They are Autumn gold, Ariaki Nomura, Amber Ghost, Green dissectum, Butterfly, Skeeters Broom, Sango Kaku, Reticulatum, Atropurpureum, Red dissectum, Red Flash, Osakasuki and lastly Katsura with Going Green in front and Beni Maiko to the right.

11. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

Thanks to @KirstyP for convincing you to post these lovely photos. But really D, I somehow don't think you needed much prompting!

Every night before I hit the hay here, you always have some great photos that you share. Nothing like a good dose of Japanese maples just before going to bed!

KirstyP and Acerholic like this.
  12. Acerholic

Thankyou Keith, you are so kind. Have a good night's sleep.

KirstyP and Keith Elliott like this.
  13. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

Absolutely beautiful D, I look forward to your posts every morning recently and you don't disappoint. Have you ever thought of compiling a book with all the different seasons of each tree, I'm sure it would sell.

Acerholic likes this.
  14. Acerholic

One of the reasons I post every morning is because of all the wonderful people on this forum and all the kind messages I receive here and via PM's. I do get pleasure out of hopefully making peoples day.
    And to your question about a book, now that might be something to think about....
    Thanks N, your comments are very much appreciated.

15. Riverdale27

Riverdale27 Active Member

Damn, D., you have some gorgeous trees in your yard!

KirstyP, Keith Elliott and Acerholic like this.
  16. Acerholic

Thankyou K. I'm glad you like them.

17. Luke’s Maples

Hi all i want to post this Manyo No Sato as I haven’t had it long. It had a really bad bunched up branch structure when I got it and didn’t look too great. I staked the main branches out as far as I could with damaging them, to give it a more open look. I had a look at it today and when moving the stakes, the branches stayed put. I have now removed the 4 stakes that were in there and I’ve got the exact look I want. Incredible how fast they grow to a new direction with a little help.

Attached Files:

KirstyP, LorenzoDec, Xi-feng and 9 others like this.
  18. Luke’s Maples

All my trees that have been in the rainy shade for the last 3-4 months have been moved out to get a bit of vitamin D ;-)

Attached Files:

KirstyP, LorenzoDec, Xi-feng and 6 others like this.
  19. Keith Elliott

To say the least....!

20. Keith Elliott

Did you mean to say "without"? My spellcheck is at least as bad as yours!

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  21. Luke’s Maples

Not often talked about this one. Seuin Kaku, Not sure if people just think it a less attractive version of Mikawa Yatsubusa, but believe me when I say it is every bit as interesting. Leaves nodes not as compact and is not quite a bright green when first leafing out, but it throws out some nice shapes. The Autumn colour is on par with the likes of Shishigashira

Attached Files:

22. Luke’s Maples

Oh yes. I think that goes without saying lol

Keith Elliott likes this.
  23. Acerholic

Good morning, today in my garden I was think about how the great Victorian plant hunters used to draw those amazing pictures of the close up of the leaves of plants. It is something that has impressed me all my life, so I had this in mind when taking these few to share.
    Vic Pink 241.JPG Villa Taranto 242.JPG Amagi shigure 242.JPG Lionheart 241.JPG Will's Devine 242.JPG Red Wine 242.JPG Starfish 243.JPG
    They are Vic pink, Villa Taranto, Amagi Shigure, Lionheart, Will's Devine, Red Wine and Starfish.

Acirón, KirstyP, dangerine49 and 8 others like this.
  24. Keith Elliott

Oh my goodness! They are wonderful! Now I can go to bed and sleep like a baby. Thank you so much.

Acerholic likes this.
  25. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

My grove of natural seeded seedlings

Attached Files: