A novice lawn question!

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Keith Elliott, May 2, 2021.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

So your an early riser as well Keith. I've been getting up at 0430 hrs since a boy and never changed. Lifes to short to hang around in bed and especially in Spring and Summer.
    It must be our generation, as my children and granddaughters do not follow in my footsteps there at all...

Keith Elliott likes this.
  2. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

That sounds much like the younger generation over here D. Except for one of the girls who has to rise at 5 am on work days, in order to be at the quarry where she drives one of those humongous rock trucks!

3. Acerholic

That sounds quite a tough job for your daughter, you obviously come from very hardy stock !!
    BTW when your not covered in mist, is there any chance of a photo of your views down the mountain ? I am certain everyone would love to see it. It's Botanical with all the Fir trees, so in keeping with the forum. Perhaps a new thread for this??

4. Keith Elliott

Hmmmm, now you have got me to wondering.

The local roads here are all switchbacks, as it would be quite impossible to go directly up the side of the mountain. Just a few days ago, when we were returning home, I looked over towards the mountain and noticed that it is quite prominent when we are down close to the lake.

The Squilax-Anglemont highway, which leaves Highway 1 10 kms this side of Chase, follows the lake in order to keep the road more or less on the level. Where any of the small towns are located, the roads - of necessity - can be quite steep at times. On the next clear day, I will drive up as far as we can here and see if we can get a few photos for you. Looks like that might be this next weekend.

Acerholic likes this.
  5. Acerholic

Thankyou Keith, but please don't put yourself out to do it. I imagined you had views down the mountain from your garden, hence me asking.

6. Keith Elliott

Perhaps if I climb up on to the roof, which is not as difficult as it sounds, I may have a better view. Next sunny day for that!

Acerholic likes this.
  7. Acerholic

Now that is above and beyond the cause indeed Keith. But all joking aside, please be careful.

Georgia Strait and Keith Elliott like this.
  8. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    @Keith Elliott

Hello - I am looking at your pictures in this thread —-

And I have a couple of questions, please

1. Allan block lawn edge - could you post a photo of how it turned out?

I have a similar lawn on downhill slope and it is impossible to edge neatly (tidy) even with a string weed whipper (black and decker I think)

I do not have a Stihl gas blade edger tho i realize how nicely the edge looks when the tool is used properly

I have trouble with grass clippings & grass seeds going in to the soil flower bed and taking over so I thought a taller edge (taller than that conventional black plastic type edge (and more solid)) esp on the sort of level but probably a 1:20 (did I get that the right way around? ) ie - a 1 foot lower over 20 feet horizontal downhill slope we have here

NEXT Question
    2. What gravel did you specify from the gravel pit ? I can see it on the driveway approach to new arch in your photos

I ask because I need to replace some in gravel drive at coast (again, a slope)

How do you remove snow from it in winter without scooping up all your gravel?

Did you use one of those permeable gravel hexagon type systems under it? (Here is an example available out of Campbell River I think ?)
    Permeable Gravel driveways stabilized for vehicle and pedestrian traffic – Green Driveway

How deep have you laid your gravel

Thank you

Attached Files:

9. Keith Elliott

Good morning!

We still need 3 more of the long (18") blocks to finish that row. Next trip in to Kamloops, we'll pick them up. So, not quite done yet. I will put up a new photo when that's done.

Re: the gravel on the driveway, I was going to get crusher chips, but Mike, the chap who did the work for us, suggested something just a little larger. Can't remember the name, but it is essentially just a slightly bigger version of the crusher chips. They crush a green granite up this way for that purpose. I used crusher chips on my driveway in Aldergrove, way back when, and they worked well. There was only a very gentle slope to that driveway. Ask your local pit what they have for the purpose, they will know what works there.

Since your slope is only 1 in 20, either should work OK.

We spread that gravel about 4 inches thick.

Re: the fancy hexagonal stuff, I bet that's fairly costly. Sure it is less than bricks or concrete or asphalt, but it's still just a gravel driveway. Frankly I wouldn't use anything like that. It seems to me that you would need to make sure the gravel was just a little higher than the tops of the hexagons to keep everything in place nicely. And you would likely need to get the driveway quite flat before installing those hexagons. It's only a driveway after all.

We don't bother to remove the snow in wintertime. It would be a bit of a problem with the snowblower, as every time you pick up something other than snow, it often breaks the shear bolts. We occasionally might use the excavator, but in that case I wouldn't get right down to the gravel.

10. Keith Elliott

Val had to go in to Kamloops yesterday for some stuff, and picked up the last three Allan blocks that we need to finish the end of that grassy area. It was pretty wet here today, and may be the same tomorrow. So likely on the weekend before I get a chance to move those heavy blocks in place.

11. Keith Elliott

The lawns seem to be loving all this rain we've been having. Here's this mornings peek.

IMG_4642.JPG IMG_4643.JPG

12. Acerholic

Coming on really well Keith. There's nothing like a drop of rain to help green things up.

13. Keith Elliott

I just ventured out to look at the top lawn by the driveway, and I notice that there are about 30 of these tiny mushrooms growing, mostly close to the driveway itself. I rather imagine that the recent rains have prompted this growth, although I am still very much in learning mode when it comes to lawns.

IMG_4652.JPG IMG_4653.JPG IMG_4654.JPG

14. Acerholic

Do you remember me talking about fairy rings and the dark patches Keith. Just a thought..

15. Keith Elliott

Indeed, but the fairies seem to have been conspicuous by their absence.

16. Keith Elliott

At the end of that lower lawn Val had planted several different offerings for the gopher. She draped some of that fine netting over the area a few days ago to let Gordie the gopher know that he needs to locate a different restaurant.

We just noticed this evening that an Iris has started to bloom and has grown right through the netting. I'm going to take my trusty cutters first thing tomorrow morning, remove that netting and let the poor Iris bloom without any further hindrance.

IMG_4658.JPG IMG_4659.JPG

Acerholic likes this.
  17. Keith Elliott

Additionally, most of the plants alongside that lawn are doing quite well.

IMG_4661.JPG IMG_4662.JPG IMG_4663.JPG IMG_4664.JPG IMG_4665.JPG IMG_4666.JPG

I don't know what the third photo is, but the others are peonies and junipers. I see that we have some nice fat buds on one of the peonies.

18. Acerholic

They are looking good Keith, but can I just say about the landscape fabric, that this IMO can cause problems if too close to your plants.
    I'm going on the experience of friends who have used it in a similar fashion and have lost their plants and small trees further down the line. Just thought I would mention it.

19. Keith Elliott

Good morning D. You don't have to convince me that the fabric is going to cause trouble. Dr. Linda Chalker-Scott has an excellent article on just that subject. It is Val who has such a disdain for weeds that she doesn't want to live without the stuff. Maybe what I will do is to cut a whole lot of it away and then cover up my sneaky deed with mulch. You have to promise not to tell her!

Acerholic likes this.
  20. Acerholic

Cross my heart Keith. Lol.

21. Keith Elliott

We put the last three Allan blocks in place this afternoon, and yes, the promised sun did eventually arrive today.

Still have to fill the last blocks up with coarse sand or drain rock. That's for tomorrow if we have the time. May be away for several hours.

IMG_4698.JPG IMG_4699.JPG

22. Keith Elliott

Earlier this evening just before the sun dipped below the trees, we were checking the plants by the big lawn and noticed that the peony buds were crawling with small ants. I took them off right away, but why were they there? Do they eat parts of the bud? They aren't in the photos as I had them knocked off by then.

IMG_4700.JPG IMG_4701.JPG

23. Acerholic

Hi Keith, the ants are doing your peony a favour, they are protecting the buds from Aphids. Peonies produce a sugary substance that attracts ants and in doing so protects the newly forming bud from the insects it doesn't want.
    So IMO leave the ants to do their job.

D

24. Keith Elliott

Aaargh! So I am a murderer for no reason. Well darn it anyway. I will look for more ants today and see if the buds are doing OK still. Those buds seem to be increasing rapidly in size. Always amazes me how the ants seem to find anything sugary.

I remember when I was on Ruxton Island, that where we had the hummingbird feeder placed, the ants would somehow know how to find the source of the sugar water that was about 6 feet above them.

25. Acerholic

They are clever Keith and I bet they (ants) are still around long after the human race has disappeared. Then they will get the honeydew from the aphids. And we think we humans are the clever ones. Lol.