A novice lawn question!

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Keith Elliott, May 2, 2021.

1. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

Good morning vitog! The water system here in Anglemont is only 6 or 7 years old, and I recall quite distinctly that when it first started up, that the chlorine smell was quite extreme. That may have been due to their desire to rid all the new pipes of anything nasty. We still have days when it is quite noticeable. We haven't got any rainwater catchment in place, so one of our next chores will be to find some 45 gallon barrels for that purpose. We have more than enough roofs to do the job.

2. Keith Elliott

In hindsight, I think we may have bitten off more than we can chew with this lawn. Val just cannot stand weeds and decided that nothing but lawn would be acceptable. That's why it is there. I suppose given some time it will improve, and I am mindful that it won't take care of itself, it will need a little dedication on my part.

Where the lawn at the west end runs into that extremely steep bank has been a bit of a problem for us. The deer fence is in place and the deer are no longer coming up that bank for their meals.

Today, we decided that we would just cut the grass back an extra foot or so and put those Allen blocks (sorry Georgia Strait!) in place. The intent being to help stop erosion there. I think we might toss a few pounds of grass seed on that slope as well in the hope that it will solidify the top of the bank.

It looks like we are going to need two more blocks to reach the end of the bank. One more thing on the list for next trip to Kamloops.

IMG_4504.JPG IMG_4509.JPG IMG_4510.JPG

Georgia Strait likes this.
  3. Keith Elliott

Yesterday, the CSRD in all their generosity, has a load of rock delivered here. It was intended to replace some big rocks that used to be at the top of the driveway prior to them installing the main water lines down alongside our property.

Now get this...they will pay for three rocks plus the trucking, but we are supposed to pay the rest! It has only taken them 7 years to replace our rocks! Had Val not been badgering them on and off we wouldn't have got anything.

IMG_4516.JPG IMG_4517.JPG

The main reason I went up the driveway was to check on the grass. Once again, there are a few patches where the grass has really taken off. The dark green grass is just over 7" tall, and it was only mowed just a few days ago.

IMG_4519.JPG IMG_4524.JPG

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

But what amazing rocks Keith. They are going to take some moving though!! Re your lawn, those places have a high nitrogen content in that area IMO. It will improve over time. Fairy rings, a fungi can also cause this problem, but I still believe it's the deer. Time will rectify the problem, as you now have fencing.

D

Keith Elliott likes this.
  5. Keith Elliott

What would cause that "fairy rings" in the first place?

We covered that area - after it had been well and truly dug up with our mini excavator, and screened - with at least 4" of new topsoil. Same source as all the other topsoil. These particular small areas continue to grow this thick, very lush grass. Just as on the lower lawn with these similar areas, there is not a weed to be seen where this grass is growing.

The big rocks are about 4 feet long.

6. Acerholic

7. Keith Elliott

Many thanks for that link D.

Like yourself, I think I would be more inclined to go for the high nitrogen content. I think we might be fresh out of fairies here in Anglemont. Mind you, if they only come out at night, we may have missed them!

Last year, when we first put the turf down, I did notice a few small mushrooms growing very randomly in that grass. This fall, when the damp weather starts to set in, I will look again to see if any more develop. My original thought was a possibility that the turf farm had used mushroom manure, but that's probably incorrect.

I might mention that when I was on Ruxton, we did have the occasional year which produced many different kinds of mushrooms.

We had a Dr. Bill Weller at the university over in Nanaimo who was an expert on such things and I remember taking him over a big brown paper bag with 17 different types in it. Apparently, he said that one of the very big ones was good eating, but I never had the courage to try one. I do have photos, but they are the 100kb ones which refuse to enlarge. If I recall rightly, some of them reached more that a foot across.

8. Acerholic

Best go down that route until other evidence is seen. So it is a waiting game I'm afraid Keith.

9. Keith Elliott

This afternoon I took a couple of photos of something other than grass growing in the upper lawn. Not sure what they are, one looks something like clover. Should I be worried about this? Or just live and let live?

IMG_4630.JPG IMG_4631.JPG

10. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

For what it's worth, we see a few patches of exuberant lawn growth soon after the kids leave with their dog . . . certainly explains the high nitrogen theory.

11. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

To me, your first photo shows ordinary clover; the second, Black Medic. I am trying to eradicate it manually here. It is easy enough to pull if you grab it just at soil level but I cannot figure out where all the seeds are coming from.

Acerholic and Keith Elliott like this.
  12. Keith Elliott

There are no dogs here that I'm aware of. The folks that walk up and down our road keep their pooches on a leash, which we appreciate. They mostly walk by because we have the best view of the lake here. I was allowed to clear the lower lot a few years ago which gave us that nice view.

13. Keith Elliott

Yes, I thought the first pic was clover...can that be left alone?

I've never heard of Black Medic. That's the one with the tiny yellow flowers I take it. OK, I will pull that one out - it looks like the only one in the lawn so far - and take another photo of it tomorrow. I did take a slow walk all over the upper lawn, and it all looks quite good.

My best guess for any different seeds to appear here would be as guests in the deer nuggets, which we don't seem to have any more. But we did before we got the netting in place.

14. Acerholic

Fully agree with Margot's ID Keith. It can take over, so pulling it out when you see it is advisable. Just to mention, my horse used to love it, so the deer will do to.

15. Keith Elliott

Thank you. I will make sure that Val sees your comment. She always believes someone else over me and perhaps she can help with the occasional weed pulling exercise. Not quite 4:30 a.m. here yet with the dawn just breaking, so that weed has another hour or two to live.

16. Acerholic

Is this a world wide phenomenon. ?? I certainly recognise this. Lol.

17. Keith Elliott

Sssssshhhhhhhush! Better keep that to ourselves!

Acerholic likes this.
  18. Keith Elliott

Yesterday, I only spotted just the single Black Medic weed (Thank you Margot!). This morning, I walked up and down the whole driveway and found a total of four of these beasts. All of them were right alongside the very edge of the paving, none were in the real lawn area at all.

I dug the third one out right up closer to the road using my handy dandy nail puller to do the job. I think it works even better than the dedicated weed digger that we have.

I think that once I get used to spotting these weeds that it will become easier as time goes on. I see a morning patrol in my immediate future.

IMG_4632.JPG IMG_4633.JPG IMG_4634.JPG IMG_4635.JPG

19. Keith Elliott

Previously, mention was made that an entry arbor would be required to the larger lawn area. The purpose being such that it would provide a barrier for entry for the marauding deer hereabouts. Which, incidentally, have been conspicuous by their absence lately.

Today, I was finally able to make moderate progress on the project and install the two sides and the top section. Still to go will be the lattice infill on both sides and a gate of some description.

Our friends down the road with the sawmill are going to donate some red cedar for the purpose of finishing this up. That was very generous of them.

IMG_4636.JPG IMG_4639.JPG IMG_4637.JPG

Acerholic likes this.
  20. Acerholic

That looks brilliant Keith. The only trouble I'm having now is my wife saying to me, " why can't you build something like that". Your giving us all more work to do !!! Lol.

21. Keith Elliott

I see. Well then, the solution might be to have two separate computers, one for your good wife, and the other for you. The wife's computer would need to have some sort of automatic delete gizmo if any building type posts come up. That takes care of that!

I understand that we can take our trailer down tomorrow after we finish working here and pick up the cedar. I will probably have to run it through the planer as I rather imagine it will be rough, just as it comes off the mill.

No worries, we have the technology here!

Acerholic likes this.
  22. Acerholic

Sounds like a very good idea Keith. Lol. But tbh we are both really enjoying all your postings on the work you are doing to your garden.

D

23. Keith Elliott

Given that it is raining right now, and is likely to continue for much of the day, there won't be any more building shenanigans happening.

I am told that Val has a helper coming today to get the last of the soffit up in the carport. Fortunately, he won't need to be getting wet for that little chore.

Possibly next weekend will see the arbor finished, and then I have to make a fair sized gate to enclose that east deck where Val will now be keeping many of her potted plants. I will try to keep the building items down to a dull roar!

24. Acerholic

A nice rest day for you then Keith.

25. Keith Elliott

That would be a nice thought D, but I work on the computer on working days, much like half the population. So I'm up at 5:50 am daily and log in before I even have my first cuppa.