Spring colo(u)rs

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Mar 24, 2021.

1. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Some pics from today, part of the late spring still in the UK.

Shigitatsu sawa:

IMG_20210518_183040.jpg IMG_20210518_183234.jpg

Sunset, not as messy as most dissectums:

IMG_20210518_183851.jpg
    IMG_20210518_184011.jpg

Sawa chidori:

IMG_20210518_162258.jpg

Olsen's Frosted Strawberry:

IMG_20210518_162501.jpg
    IMG_20210518_162533.jpg

Nik, ROEBUK, Shin-Deshojo and 10 others like this.
  2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Then it must be "Couleurs de printemps".

I don't know if it's travelled across the Atlantic, but if Johan Strauss is world-famous, I much prefer Emile Waldteufel. To me, it sounds much more sensitive ( I have a very eclectic choice of music) :

It may be because it was the music of the "Cinéma de minuit" (or maybe another film enthusiast programme) on TV, a programme showing milestone films, played on these unthinkable machines :

"Les patineurs", the skaters : Im sure you at least know this one. Close your eyes, and you'll see yourself skating on the ice. Very sensual I think - personal opinion :

3. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Some random stuff over the past couple of days. My Ariadne is turning green again...

Attached Files:

Nik, ROEBUK, Shin-Deshojo and 4 others like this.
  4. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Copied and pasted from the ‘Cheering ourselves up with maples’

And incase anybody missed, what I think is a magnificent photo due to those Ukigumo’s. I’ll post it again and on the spring colour thread. If you’ve already seen it then I apologise but with plants these pretty I can’t imagine anyone being too disappointed ;-)

Attached Files:

5. Luke’s Maples

Anyone who doesn’t have Brandt’s Dwarf, I highly recommend it. First seen on one of Charlie Morgan’s videos, it had me lusting over it. So i got one. Had to import from France so I was desperately hoping not to be disappointed. Last year it didn’t look quite so special, but this year, I’m hovering around it daily. Some leaves have a ‘broom’ shaped middle lobe and some don’t, whist all leaves have a mixture of orange, red, green and purple. It’s a real stunner. I’ve done a bit of pruning from underneath to open it up and slightly lift the canopy, and I’m surprised at how much I’m staring to love it,

Sorry only one pic but hopefully I’ll be able take some more soon

Attached Files:

Nik, LoverOfMaples, zfrittz and 4 others like this.
  6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

One will do it Luke. You said it was looking special and you're not wrong.

7. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

It feels like fall outside but I am enjoying the spring colours on my maples. Because of the cold and wet spring dozens of mushrooms have sprouted as can be seen in the picture of Watnong. First some pictures of Oijishi and Meijishi/Shishigashira. The male lion is the true dwarf here, I bought both of them not far between but you can certainly tell the difference! Other photos of Watnong, Azuma murasaki 2x, Fairy light and Sensu.

Attached Files:

Nik, ROEBUK, LoverOfMaples and 7 others like this.
  8. Acerholic

It's the same here M, but the temperatures should now be on the up as from Monday.
    None of this awful Spring weather has done your maples any harm at all though, they are looking great.

MapleMO likes this.
  9. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Dissectums , finally getting there what with this awful weather !!

Attached Files:

Nik, LoverOfMaples, AlainK and 8 others like this.
  10. Acerholic

More than getting there M. They look amazing. You must be very pleased.

11. ROEBUK

Seen better to be honest it's going to be a so so year, any ways a few more two lots 2 x 15 Various cultivars.

Attached Files:

Nik, LoverOfMaples, AlainK and 7 others like this.
  12. ROEBUK

Second batch x 15

Attached Files:

Nik, LoverOfMaples, AlainK and 7 others like this.
  13. Acerholic

This morning is a bit overcast and before the deluge arrives here are a few that caught my eye a few minutes ago.
    Okushimo 235.JPG Summer gold 235.JPG Olsen's frosted Strawberry 235.JPG Twombleys Red sentinel 235.JPG
    They are Okushimo, Summer gold, Olsen's Frosted Strawberry and Twombley's Red Sentinel.

Nik, ROEBUK, LoverOfMaples and 5 others like this.
  14. Acerholic

Today is the last of the bad weather according to the forecasts, so it maybe a while before some raindrops are on my maple leaves again, so here are a few that looked quite nice just now.
    Inaba shidare, Orangeola, Butterfly, Crimson Queen x2 and Red Feather.
    Inaba shidare 238.JPG Orangeloa 238.JPG Butterfly 237.JPG Crimson Queen 237.JPG Crimson Queen 238.JPG Red Feather 237.JPG

zfrittz, Nik, ROEBUK and 6 others like this.
  15. Luke’s Maples

I thought I’d take some photos yesterday just as the sun was shining through the front garden. I was blown away! Not literally, as the wind, thankfully had calmed down by then lol

Attached Files:

zfrittz, Nik, ROEBUK and 7 others like this.
  16. Luke’s Maples

Just realised I’d already posted these on the Cheering ourselves up thread yesterday. Apologies.

17. Acerholic

I love the way you have arranged all your trees to make the pots dissappear Luke and to give the effect of a maple forest, aka Silk Wood!!!!?
    You have done so well in such a short time at that location. Looks wonderful.

Shin-Deshojo and Luke’s Maples like this.
  18. Luke’s Maples

Thanks again Derek for the kind words. This crappy weather has stopped me being out there with them. I’m so frustrated. I’d rather it be hot and dry and have to water them all the time :-(

19. Luke’s Maples

One of my more recent purchases, after seeing a big one at Westonbirt, is this. Beni Kagami. Gorgeous colour changes through the leaves and the actual leaf shape too super happy with it.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

I love the transition phase with so many colours to look at. A friend of mine had his E type Jaguar sprayed this colour back in the day. Your Beni Kagami reminds me of this. Different light and a different look almost hourly.
    I understand why your super happy with it.

21. Luke’s Maples

Oh no.....

22. Acerholic

Lol.

23. Acerholic

Good morning, well it's a cold start to the day here, only 4°C , but lovely and sunny. So after the talk yesterday about greens, I thought some more mellow colours today from me.
    Omurayama 239.JPG Beni ubi gohon 239.JPG Ki hachijo 239.JPG Elmwood 239.JPG Miss Piggy 239.JPG Ogi tsuma gaki 239.JPG Emperor 1 239.JPG Reticulatum como 239.JPG Emma 239.JPG Jerre Schwartz 239.JPG
    They are Omureyama, Beni ubi gohon, Ki hachijo, Elmwood, Miss Piggy, Ogi tsuma gaki, Emperor 1,Reticulatum Como, Emma and Jerre Schwartz.

zfrittz, Nik, ROEBUK and 6 others like this.
  24. Luke’s Maples

A couple more pics, a few multiples of Hana Matoi

hopefully you’ll enjoy

Attached Files:

zfrittz, Nik, Stuart McKenna and 5 others like this.
  25. Acerholic

Good morning, well it's the last few days of Spring, so I thought I would add some more of mine here today.
    Summer gold 242.JPG Dr Brown 241.JPG Mon papa 242.JPG Esk Sunset 241.JPG Oridono nishiki 240.JPG Musashino 242.JPG Ukigumo 241.JPG Ruslyn in the Pink 242.JPG Hessei 242.JPG Our Spring garden ghost  area 242.JPG
    Summer Gold, Dr Brown, Mon Papa, Esk Sunset, Oridono nishiki, Musashino, Ukigumo, Ruslyn in the pink, Hessei and a last shot of the sun shining in a little area of our garden.

zfrittz, Nik, Acirón and 7 others like this.