Acer japonicum 'Fairy Lights'

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by rkburgess, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

30th August 2020 and it is definitely getting colder. My maples are very happy now that the Summer heat has passed. They are all enjoying the early morning sun.
    The tips of the upper leaf is showing how this one is heading. Such an exciting time!!

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Well its the beginning of September 2020 and the dew is appearing on the leaves. Together with the fast changing colours, it's that time of year of joy in the maple garden.

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

6th September 2020 and there has been a lot of talk on the maples forum about the strange colours this year. Yes they are strange, but enjoyable to see none the less.
    Just days later and what a change on my Fairy lights. This cultivar is a favourite of my wife and eldest daughter. And it gets better and better in the next few weeks.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

10th September 2020 and my maples are now racing into Autumnal colours. So warm and sunny at the moment, it does seem a bit strange though.
    There is a program on TV in this country called Autumn Watch. I feel that I am doing the same with my Fairy lights. Every single day a new colour emerges and there is a lot more to come!!

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

12th September 2020 and believe it or not, new growth is everywhere in my garden together with Autumn colours emerging. Temperatures of 31°C expected in a couple of days.
    But one constant in my garden is my Fairy lights. At least this one knows its nearly the middle of September.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

16th September 2020 and new growth is everywhere, due to this unseasonably warm weather.
    Took the same leaf to show the transformation is very much underway. Subtle changes, but evident.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

24th September 2020 and Autumn has really hit home quickly. Cold nights and lots of rain already. But raindrops on colourful leaves is why Autumn is a favorite for so many of us Maple enthusiasts.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

2nd October 2020 and after a deluge all night, a little sun on my Fairy lights.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

13th October 2020 and this is how my Fairy lights is looking in early morning sun.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

22nd October 2020 and this is what I expect from my wife and I favourite Japonicum.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

Just a couple of days later and the winds are coming, so thought I would add just one last photo of 2020 of my Fairy lights.

Attached Files:

12. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

Still tiny but I love the fall colours of my new Fairy light.

Attached Files:

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  13. Acerholic

And it gets better and better every year M. This is my wife and I favourite Japonicum. Probably be yours aswell !!!

14. Acerholic

31st March 2021 and this is my wife and children's favourite. Out of all the japonicums I think it is mine also. Probably why I have it, lol.
    Fairy lights 715.JPG

15. Acerholic

19th April 2021 and the hairy appearance on my Fairy lights as it starts to unfurl, is what I wanted to capture this morning. Is there a stage that doesn't fascinate!!? IMO I think not.
    Fairy lights197.JPG

16. Acerholic

7th May 2021 and at last my Fairy lights makes an appearance.
    Fairy lights 219.JPG

17. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

'Fairy Lights' survived its first winter in the ground.

20210511_193450.jpg

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  18. Acerholic

It looks so delicate and fragile you just want to protect it.. Hope it goes from strength to strength now D.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  19. Acerholic

22nd May 2021 and as this is my wife's favourite of the japonicum's, here it is from a few minutes ago.
    Fairy lights 234.JPG

Xi-feng and LoverOfMaples like this.
  20. MapleMO

My Fairy light has doubled in size this spring ;-) I like its shape and can’t wait for it to get a little bigger. A keeper!

Attached Files:

Xi-feng, LoverOfMaples and Acerholic like this.
  21. Acerholic

And Sooooo much colour in the Autumn M. A big competitor with any of the brightest palmatums.

22. MapleMO

Yes it has amazed me last fall D. I will keep it in a pot a little longer to decide where I can enjoy it best in the garden. Its great fall colour made decide to buy another Japonicum (Indian summer). But lets enjoy spring and summer first, lol.

23. Acerholic

When and if it comes M , Lol.

MapleMO likes this.
  24. Acerholic

8th June 2021 and my Fairy lights is now in full Summer colour.
    Fairy lights 257.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  25. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Update: 'Fairy Lights' have seem to have grown a tiny bit. It's turning a little for its fall display.

Attached Files:

maf and Acerholic like this.