My Japanese garden from the past.

Discussion in 'Japanese Gardens' started by Keith Elliott, May 16, 2021.

1. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

Between about 1997 and 2014 I lived on Ruxton Island. It is unserviced, which just means that if you want or need something, then you had better do it for yourself.

I started with an untouched lot on the waterfront which faced south west, about as ideal as you could get for a number of reasons, not the least of which was the incredible sunsets..

So here I will try and show you some of the progress that was made during those years once I had a cabin built to keep the rain off my head!

I had neither a computer or digital camera until the end of 2008, so if you are wondering how I got ahead so quickly, it was simply because I had been there for 10 years already.

IMG_8967.JPG IMG_8968.JPG IMG_0731.JPG IMG_0729.JPG IMG_0727.JPG IMG_0726.JPG

The first two photos are approaching the entrance gate from the south end.

The remainder are taken once you are inside the Japanese garden area. Hmm, I just noticed that other small bridge over the dry stream bed, I had forgotten about that one!

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  2. Keith Elliott

When you pass by the screen that appears on the extreme left of the last photo above, you will spot the small bridge.

IMG_0703.JPG

I seem to have done a rather dismal job of getting enough photos to choose from, so apologies for that. The J maple in the middle of the photo is one of many that I grew from seed.

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

It must have been very difficult to leave all this behind Keith. It is such a lovely tranquil setting you and Val created. I'm glad you have recovered some photos. They will be on here now for eternity, so never lost again.

Keith Elliott likes this.
  4. Keith Elliott

Moving a little further back you will note that almost all of these plantings are very immature, but you have to start somewhere.

IMG_0702.JPG

This is what you see when you turn around.

IMG_0676.JPG IMG_0674.JPG IMG_0675.JPG IMG_0673.JPG

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  5. Keith Elliott

Oh, it never fails does it? Now I find a photo looking right through the gate. Hiding in plain sight!

IMG_0659.JPG IMG_0658.JPG

Georgia Strait, D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  6. Acerholic

Those moon windows are just amazing Keith. They give a totally different perspective to the garden. They enclose, but open it up, all at the same time. Very well planned indeed.

7. Keith Elliott

Thank you Acerholic. To answer your question, yes and no. Firstly, it is a monumental amount of work when you are living full time on an unserviced island, especially when you had such insane ambitions as I did. It's far more suited to a younger person. Given that I was on the high side of 70 when I left..... But, yes, having to leave that garden and all that I had done was definitely not the easiest thing to do. I will never have the least intention of going back there to see what the place looks like now, as I really don't know how I might handle that.

IMG_5734.JPG IMG_5722.JPG IMG_1402.JPG IMG_5442.JPG IMG_5440.JPG

Acerholic likes this.
  8. Keith Elliott

If you check post #4 and look right through the gate, you can just see this screen. Trying to get things into perspective for you.

IMG_5435.JPG IMG_0906.JPG IMG_0894.JPG

Xi-feng, D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  9. Acerholic

@Keith Elliott, I'm so full of admiration of what you achieved Keith. Your attention to detail is what makes this a perfect space that the Japanese would applaud.
    But as you say, it's not a good idea to go back, but just have your memories and photos and I am so pleased you found this forum to share what you did.

Good night

D

10. Keith Elliott

On the high side of the J garden I built this little Japanese style potting shed.

IMG_1994.JPG IMG_4182.JPG

Acerholic likes this.
  11. Keith Elliott

If you have read any of my few posts regarding the small bridge, then you know that I have lost almost all the photos from Ruxton Island over a period of many years.

However, today (May 18, 2021) I asked Val if she might have some photos on her phone. She has produced quite a few of the Japanese style garden, so I am now in a position to add a few more. They probably won't be in any particular order, just how they came off her phone. Hopefully you may enjoy the fruits of my labours.

IMG-0807.JPG IMG-0817.JPG IMG-0820.JPG IMG-0827.JPG IMG-0829.JPG IMG-0831.JPG IMG-0834.JPG IMG-0921.JPG IMG-0922.JPG IMG-1067.JPG

I'm afraid to say that last photo is a totally gratuitous pic of the house, built single handedly, largely from salvaged logs out of the ocean, over a period of 15 or so years.

Georgia Strait and Acerholic like this.
  12. Keith Elliott

My apologies if some of these photos have been posted on the "Cheering ourselves up with Maples", started by Acerholic. It's just that my memory is only about that long.

IMG_5686.JPG IMG_5687.JPG IMG_6738.JPG IMG_6740.JPG IMG_6741.JPG IMG_6744.JPG IMG_6745.JPG IMG_8969.JPG IMG_8970.JPG IMG_8973.JPG

Acerholic likes this.
  13. Keith Elliott

A few more.....

IMG_0661.JPG IMG_0662.JPG IMG_0673.JPG IMG_0677.JPG IMG_0679.JPG IMG_0680.JPG IMG_0691.JPG IMG_0710.JPG IMG_0716.JPG IMG_0719.JPG

Acerholic likes this.
  14. Keith Elliott

Interesting comment you made about finding this forum. I was a member for some time while I was on Ruxton. There was a lady there, Mary Hughes, who lived just a few lots south of us. She told me that she was a moderator on this very forum prior to the time that I joined. Amazing what you find out when you have at least a passing interest in plants!

15. Keith Elliott

IMG_8975.JPG IMG_9147.JPG IMG_9152.JPG IMG_9153.JPG IMG_0733.JPG IMG_0734.JPG IMG_0784.JPG IMG_0817.JPG IMG_0880.JPG IMG_0890.JPG IMG_0896.JPG IMG_0902.JPG IMG_0903.JPG IMG_1408.JPG

IMG_6857.JPG IMG_5734.JPG IMG_5446.JPG IMG_5417.JPG IMG_5437.JPG

Random pics from 10 years ago or so.

Acerholic likes this.
  16. Acerholic

@Keith Elliott my wife and I are absolutly loving all of this Keith. Quite inspirational!!!

17. Keith Elliott

In that case, would you mind passing along my thanks to your good wife as well!

Acerholic likes this.
  18. Acerholic

Will do Keith.

19. Keith Elliott

This is officially the last photo from Ruxton. Here we are about half way across on the crossing from Ruxton to Boat harbour.

IMG-1177.JPG

Acerholic likes this.
  20. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Thank you very much for sharing this photo essay — I feel like I have had a tour with you and Mrs E

21. Keith Elliott

Funny you should say that.

When I first started the old DIY thread, I took a photographic walking tour over part of Ruxton. As you know, those old photos are no longer working properly now.

Incidentally, do you have a source for small J maples anywhere near where you are? We were in Art Knapps in Kamloops some time ago looking, but the prices were prohibitive. Looks like I might have to start begging for seeds and start right from scratch again!

22. Acerholic

Can I second that of what Georgia has just said.

23. Keith Elliott

Well, er...golly gosh, gee whiz...thank you very much. Now I look forward to building a brand new J garden!

24. Acerholic

With a digital photography diary to share with us all Keith. No pressure, lol.

25. Keith Elliott

Well, of course. Not only that, but I can always call on Val to keep the photos up to date even when I get too busy with the building thereof.

I am now advised that we may go in to Salmon Arm this afternoon, and if that is the case we will visit Pedro's. Ostensibly they just sell produce, but they also have a smallish plant section. Last year they had some larger J maples, but they had been neglected something terrible. Maybe if there is something nicer today I will see if one can follow me home. You just never know!

Mustn't forget the camera this time....and use the darned thing.

Acerholic likes this.