Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

That’s not a bad shout. Thanks. It’s just those bright orange and green crinkled egdes that at s throwing me off. Perhaps further along in the season it might start looking a bit more like it.

2. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

I know eventually they'll have to stand it on their own, but for now I think a little greenhouse life won't hurt, at least for tomorrow anyway.

3. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

I love my reds today! Pictures of Fireglow (1 &3), Red dragon & Pixie.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Stunning photos M.

5. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

The Esveld photos show lots of Orange in some photos ..probably spring flush

6. Acerholic

Good morning, well perhaps not good as the wind here has been horrendous all last evening and it's continuing today. Gusts of 60 mph all over.
    So here are just a few that I managed just now that stayed still long enough for me to photograph.
    Pink filigree 235.JPG Koto ito komachi 235.JPG Orion 235.JPG Reticulatum Como 235.JPG Miss Piggy 235.JPG Elmwood 235.JPG
    Pink Filigree, Koto ito Komachi, Orion,Reticulatum Como, Miss Piggy and Elmwood.

7. Luke’s Maples

As this is page 199 of the thread that Derek Aka Acerholic created I though I’d post some stuff on here.

Firstly, Isobel still holding those gorgeous bright pinks.

Moonrise amongst the unbelievable whites of Ukigumo.

Grandma Ghost. I purchased this one in memory of her passing last year yesterday.

Random shots of my front garden.

Beni Kagami.

Autumn Moon and Moonrise.

Grandma Ghost. I love and miss you.

Wakehurst Pink.

Green Trompenburg.

Lilleanne’s Jewel.

Brandt’s Dwarf.

Moonrise.

Mila with Ukigumo behind and one with just Mila.

Filigree.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

Now I can see what we were chatting about a few minutes ago Luke. Yes Isobel is a stand out amongst the others, but Mila has also jumped out and said, 'here I am what about this' lol. Very nice, especially next to Ukigumo.
    Hope the wind doesn't cause too much more blowing over for you.

9. Luke’s Maples

Part 2

This is what I think may be Como, rather than Peaches and Cream.

Isobel, looking fantastic for this time of year.

JWW7 Brown Sugar.

Hino Tori Nishiki.

Uncle Ghost.

Kinran x 2.

Griseum

Peaches and Cream.

Group shot, with Tsuma Gaki right at the front.

Attached Files:

LorenzoDec, Xi-feng, Jaybee63 and 9 others like this.
  10. Acerholic

Love that group shot at the end as well Luke. A forest of maples, doesn't get much better than that. IMO.

11. dicky5ash

First one is defo not Peaches and cream. The penultimate tree marked up as peaches and cream has the correct coloration but the serration of the lobes looks far deeper and more pronounced than what I’d expect..it may be that yours is a young tree or has had fertiliser added in the last 12months. This one below is about 15years old.

I really like Mila not seem that previously.

Attached Files:

12. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

Same here D, awful high winds all day today. Yours still look great though, hopefully the damage is low to all the fresh new growth.

13. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Luke, love the pictures.

I don't think the one needing an ID is 'Como' (or 'Reticulatum Como', not sure what they are calling it these days!) The leaves on your plant are much more deeply divided than 'Como', which are shollowly divided and very large round shape. Yours looks to be divided three quarters of the way to the centre judging by the pics above. I believe 'Peaches and Cream' has had a history of being applied to wrong trees going back quite a long way.

14. dicky5ash

Would you expect peaches and cream to look like the tree in the photo I posted above?

15. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Lol, not sure, but it seems to fit the description. I don't have P & C, and have seen different trees offered under the name at various times, so difficult to know what is the true form.

To be fair, a lot of these reticulated forms are rather close. A picture of one taken one day may look very similar to a picture of another taken on another day.

The 'Reticulatum Como' on the other hand is a much easier one as the large leaf size and shallow lobe division are distinguishing features not shared among most reticulates.

Acerholic likes this.
  16. dicky5ash

I agree entirely with the above..I picked up the peaches and cream from Youngs nursery which was on the road to Blisworth if you remember that one.. The owner died and it closed..such a shame there arnt that many independents around here..

maf likes this.
  17. Acerholic

This is such an important comment about the reticulates, and tbh M, there are just thousands of cultivars etc etc out there now that are so alike, that to positively ID is a real jump in the dark a high percentage of the time.

maf likes this.
  18. Luke’s Maples

Thanks everyone for the time to look closely and carefully at the the pics I took this morning. It means a lot to me that they are identified and such labelled correctly. I had a really nice chat over the phone with D @Acerholic this morning. Just to converse with someone else so passionate about Japanese Maples is so inspiring. . Thanks D ;-)

Acerholic likes this.
  19. Acerholic

Anytime Luke, enjoyed it myself as always.

20. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I hope the samaras on this shirasawanum 'Aureum' will last and be fertile, I had 3 very good surprises (different ones) from 'Autumn Moon' :

acershir-aureum2_210521a.jpg

21. dicky5ash

Very healthy looking Aureum there Alain..I have some flowers but wonder what these gales we are experiencing will do

22. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

My Grandma Ghost was looking good this morning. Then I decided to move some things around and planted two container trees in ground: a Butterfly and a Moonfire. the good news is that now I have a couple of nice planters to fill!

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

Looks like another good year for the Shirasawanum's Alain.

24. Acerholic

A golden and red day J, certainly gives a very warm feeling. Lovely!!

25. Acerholic

Good morning everyone, a very wet start to the weekend here in Southern England. More to come tomorrow as well. So here are a few from moments ago with raindrops.
    Ueno yama 234.JPG Beni otaki 234.JPG Fairy lights 234.JPG Shigitatsu sawa 234.JPG Hessei 234.JPG Ornatum 234.JPG Baldsmith 234.JPG Chitoseyama 234.JPG Felice 234.JPG Mon Papa 234.JPG
    They are:- Ueno yama, Beni Otaki, Fairy lights, Shigitatsu Sawa, Hessei, Ornatum, Baldsmith, Chitosayama, Felice and Mon Papa.