Spring color, missing in action

Discussion in 'Maples' started by debviolet, May 17, 2021.

Tags:
  1. debviolet

debviolet Active Member 10 Years

Hi Maple lovers!

I have 2 Ap Peaches and Cream and an Ap Cynthia's Crown Jewel that skip their spring finery; they are planted in poor-ish soil, are growing well enough, though somewhat lanky (sun deprivation?) but do not go pink in spring. Is it possible that their shady location causes this?

One of the Peaches gave me good spring color until I had to move it hoping to prevent leaf burn in summer. Now, straight to green and white.
    Ideas very appreciated. Deb

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good evening @debviolet, the one thing that a lot of people make mistakes with maples is to remove them from the sun to protect them and then go overboard so to speak. They do need a good few hours sun every day. Obviously not hot afternoon sun, but the more gentle morning sun. If they get this then the colours run true. If they don't, then you will get a pale looking leaf and they appear to be reaching for the light. Lanky as you call it.
    So if possible you need to re position them. If in a pot then no problem. If in the ground, it might be best to do this next Spring.
    Hope this helps.

3. debviolet

debviolet Active Member 10 Years

Thanks so much!
    So odd that several maple nurseries said the problem must be over rich soil, even when queried about shade. Your answer makes sense of my experience.
    Best wishes, Deb

Acerholic likes this.