Acer shirasawanum 'Jordan'

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by Gomero, May 5, 2007.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

5th September 2020 and the diary continues, each day has a new colour on the leaves now. And tbh some rather strange colours this year.
    It has come back just in time for the Autumn colour. So pleased.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

12th September 2020 and believe it or not, new growth is everywhere in my garden together with Autumn colours emerging. Temperatures of 31°C expected in a couple of days.
    But new growth on my Jordan in September !!!!!!!! What is going on !!???
    Oh so pretty though.

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

17th September 2020 and the colours are making a big appearance now. But as can be seen my Jordan also has the lovely new leaves, looking very early Summer like. Just the tips showing what is to come.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

20th September 2020 and new growth plus some strange colouring on my maples now. I had to show how weired this year was, my Jordan with brand new shoots above the burnt Summer leaves just two days from the Autumn Equinox.

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

4th October 2020 new shoots and Summer scorch on my Jordan, such a strange year for all my Shirasawanum's.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

12th October 2020 and I don't have many leaves left on my Jordan now, but the few I do have in the early morning sun looked quite pretty IMO.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

21st October 2020 and I thought I would post this as a curiosity. Old leaves and new growth at this time of the year on my Jordan.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  8. Acerholic

27th October 2020 and my Jordan is in the finishing mode of Autumn colour. As you can see leaves from the upper story tree (prunus) is dropping it's leaves rapidly now. But in the hot Summer it gives protection to this delicate cultivar.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  9. Acerholic

18th March 2021 and my Jordan is starting to show some life at last. Hope it stays closed for a few more days as a cold blast is on the way.
    Jordan 705.JPG

AlainK likes this.
  10. Acerholic

27th March 2021 and just before the high temperature hits us in the UK, my Jordan is getting ready to meet the sun.
    Jordan 713.JPG

11. Acerholic

Last night I received a PM asking if I give my Shirasawanum's any protection from Spring frosts. The answer is 'no' most of the time, unless there is a very late rogue frost in late April/ May. So I thought as we had a frost here through last night, I would add a photo after the event from this morning 30th March 2021.
    Jordan 714.JPG

12. Acerholic

9th April 2032 and one thing I am pleased about is that a lot of my maples are keeping their buds firmly closed atm. This cold snap is going on for another few days yet, with -3° C forecast for the 11th.
    So I thought I would show my Jordan before this next frost hits. It has already coped with -7°C a couple of nights ago.
    I will them post a photo afterwards in a few days time.
    Jordan 184.JPG

13. Acerholic

18th April 2021 and my Jordan is now leafing out. It gets good morning sun and is protected all afternoon. It does like this!!
    Jordan 195.JPG

14. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

'Jordan' is coming alone

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  15. Acerholic

Very interested to see what you do with that one D. A standard ??

16. Acerholic

2nd May 2021 and my Jordan that is protected quite well in my garden, is now producing the leaves that I love.
    Jordan 211.JPG

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  17. Acerholic

14th May 2021 and my Jordan seems to be rather happy in these conditions now.
    Jordan 227.JPG

D97x7, AlainK and LoverOfMaples like this.
  18. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Very nice placement D.

Acerholic likes this.
  19. Acerholic

Thanks D, we are pleased with it there.

20. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

Good morning everyone, here's a quick picture of my Jordan that arrived the other day. Do you think it does best in full sun as in the first post, or should I find some afternoon shade as mentioned above, I'm a little confused? I was intending full sun but I'm not sure now.
    IMG_20210517_091030.jpg

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  21. Acerholic

It's looking really nice N. You bought a good one there. Re position, IMO it fries in afternoon sun. I have mine in afternoon shade from 1pm. So I would advise some protection.

22. D97x7

Thank you, guess I'll have to reconsider where I was going to plant it then, but not to worry, I don't think that'll be until next year now anyway.

Acerholic likes this.
  23. Acerholic

Plenty of time to consider where to put it then N. I like your patience btw.

24. D97x7

I may change my mind next week lol.

Acerholic likes this.
  25. Acerholic

Lol