Acer palmatum 'Omure yama'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Here is Acer palmatum 'Omure yama', a good cultivar that will grow well in full sun and can tolerate the heat and humidity of the Southeastern U.S.. This cultivar is noted for it's upright, weeping form. Like a Weeping Willow tree. I obtained this as a small, 1 gallon plant from Harold Johnston of Tallassee, AL. in 96'. I wanted something unusual and he suggested 'Omure yama'. I planted it into the landscape around 99'. I first noticed it starting to weep in the summer of 2002 but it still has a lot of growing to do before it shows it's full weeping potential. It seems a little slow but they say a watched pot never boils. I have seen a few planted at other nurseries and they were not staked. The resulting plants did not have the form that I am seeking out. They were a little bushy. I want a strong central leader and a full weeping crown. I therefore stake mine. It is also noted for it's crimson/gold fall color. I don't think this cultivar does as well as some others in a container so I have plans of lining my grafts of this out in the field and maintaining a stake for as long as it takes to develop a weeping form with a strong central leader. The pictures are dated, from left to right, September 2001, May 2002 and April 2003.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2004
  2. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

That tree is coming along very well Ellmore
    My Omoruyama died on me last year for no apparent reason. I cut it off just above the graft and left the root in the ground. Lo and behold I have four new shoots. They are growing from above the graft point so I am hoping they will be Omoruyama. I have staked them to encourage them as four 'leaders' and wait to see what will happen. After all, I have nothing to lose

3. MtnGato

MtnGato Active Member

Mine is much smaller and has two trunks, which I've also staked. Looking forward to seeing its glory 10 years from now!

Attached Files:

4. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Acer palmatum 'Omure yama' - Washington Park Arboretum, Seattle, accessions 1940. Their glorious color and weeping form are in the Woodland Garden.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
  5. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

Omureyama with Aka shigatatsu sawa in the foreground (Elegans is out of view in background) The contrast in spring foliage is striking!

Attached Files:

6. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

This is such a gorgeous and elegant cultivar, especially in the spring and fall. Unlike the photo in Vertrees, my Omure Yama wants to so sideways more than upwards (even with assistance probably provided in Vertrees' photo). This photo was taken October 18, 2006.

Attached Files:

7. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Wada {1938}. Usually reliable glowing fall colour. Pic #1 Sept. 26/07 , Pic #2 Oct.8/07 .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  8. Viet922

Viet922 Member

I am thinking about putting my 2-yr old potted Omureyama in the landscape next spring.
    I intend to put it in a full sun location. Don't know whether it can withstand the summer heat in philadelphia suburb. Does anyone have any experience growing this cultivar in full sun? I'd like some feed back.

My tree is about 3 foot tall and staked.

9. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Hi,

My main Omure yama is in one of the hottest places in my garden (109˚ last summer), and while it's not exposed to direct sunlight all day long, it does get around 6 hours per day. It's never shown leaf burn, which I find amazing, and it's tolerated intense sunlight and heat very well. Mine does get an ample amount of water during the summer, however, which probably helps. Good luck. It's a gorgeous plant.

Mapledia

10. Cirque

Cirque Active Member

Heres a couple pics of 'Omure yama' in a small Western Washington public
    garden. Beautifull

Enjoy
    Cirque

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  11. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Ooooh. Pretty. Want one.

Now that cultivar just migrated from the short list to the short-short list. Wow. Thanks for posting.

12. paxi

paxi Active Member

yes cirque, thanks for posting. That second pic shows (at least IMHO) nice pruning. the internal structure of the tree is on display.

13. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

I found it interesting that this year, our Omure yama had more yellow to its fall color than orange. Still lovely, but not what we usually see.

Attached Files:

14. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

How long did it take for your tree to start displaying the "weeping" effect? Mine is tiny, but displayed the whole palette from yellow to orange to red.

Attached Files:

15. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

I am beginning to wonder whether or not there are two forms of Omureyama, because I have come across some that are almost pure yellow and gold and some that are bright orange and red. Even this tree is very inconsistent or there are a couple of strains out there. I have access to both, so I plan to research it a bit and will get back to you all.

16. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks Matt. Please let us know what you find. It there are two strains I want them both!! This is one of my absolute favorites! :-)

17. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

It is kind of a so so tree during the year since it has limp looking leaves but fall is great.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  18. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Have you ever figured this out? Do you think it could just be a sun exposure thing? I have a few trees that turn more reds and oranges in the fall if planted in full sun but if planted in the shade you get more yellows.

I'm trying to decide where to plant my Omureyama and I'd like to get the oranges for fall because I don't have many oranges in fall. I'm wondering if this means I'm limited to a sunny location which would be much harder to find on my property. Any input would be great!

19. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

I haven't come to a conclusion on this one. I believe you are correct about the sun exposure on this cultivar (as well as others); sun revealing more reds and shade more yellows.
    Soil conditions and weather also contribute, so it is difficult to pin down.

I still have my suspicions about there being some mislabeling or strain issues with this one as well as many other old cultivars.

I would suggest giving it at least partial sun if you want good orange/red colors.

20. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Very young tree, but it's already starting to show that weeping habit:

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  21. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

You have just reminded me to post mine. It will be here tomorrow morning. Yours looks like it has settled very well Xi. Are you going to raise the pot at all to allow for the cascading habit?

Xi-feng likes this.
  22. Xi-feng

Oh lovely - please do post yours when it arrives, D, I'm looking forward to seeing it!

I think I want to see if I can train the two main branches upwards so it has more room to cascade - it's only about 25cm tall at the moment so I think getting some height would be helpful before letting it do its thing. There's always another little project when it comes to these guys, isn't there?

23. Acerholic

Definitely Xi. Train it up and let it cascade down over the coming years.

Xi-feng likes this.
  24. Acerholic

16th May 2021 and as promised yesterday, here is my Omureyama first thing this morning.
    Omurayama 228.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  25. Xi-feng

Those leave are lovely, aren't they D? How is yours for size/structure?

Acerholic likes this.