Acer palmatum 'Amagi shigure' (Japanese selection)

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Gomero, Sep 10, 2005.

1. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

Hello, so are the leaves of mine, a little toasted, but this is how it came to me.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@zfrittz good evening J, but that's OK after the heat this Summer. But next Spring !!!!! The leaves will be a wow.

Cjart likes this.
  3. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

@Acerholic , I'm impatient to see how it sprouts in spring, I hope it has enough strength to take a few grafts, the problem is that I arrive with very burned leaves, and with a soil that I do not like at all, so at the beginning of Spring I will transplant it, with its corresponding root wash to also remove all the osmocote, which has a lot of it and may be burned by an excess of fertilizer.

4. Acerholic

@zfrittz I agree with your proposal for Spring J. I am the same with nursery soil. I always prefer my own mix.
    Spring does seem a long way away, but hope the Autumn colour will help our patience a little, Lol.

5. Acerholic

9th September 2020 and new growth springing up everywhere. It so warm and today at 0800hrs it was 18°C.
    Earlier today a new member was asking about this cultivar and where to place it, so I took this photo this morning. 'Yes new growth'.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

14th September 2020 and although it is going to be hot later, a lovely early morning dew was on my maples.
    Amagi Shigure at it's best today IMO !!?

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

19th September 2020 and Summer is ending this weekend according to forecasts. Bright early morning sun is still helping maples in my garden to look nice.
    My Amagi Shigure gives a certain look in these conditions that cheers me up.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

24th September 2020 and Autumn has really hit home quickly. Cold nights and lots of rain already. But raindrops on colourful leaves is why Autumn is a favorite for so many of us Maple enthusiasts.

Attached Files:

9. Ricardo González

Ricardo González New Member

Mine is generating new growth in only a few branches, some have large leaves by now and others are just starting.

Attached Files:

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  10. Acerholic

Good evening Ricardo, the warm weather of Mexico has certainly brought yours on nice and early. Its looking wonderful.

11. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hello all. This is a wonderful maple though it is a little slow and puny when small. Give it a few years for her to really shine. When my two specimen's in my display garden show their spring color I will post some photos. The dark fuchsia reticulated leaves are magnificent in my humble opinion. The two gallon root pouches I am currently selling are small, but like an ugly duckling this maple can grow into a real beauty. We are having an exceptionally cold March across the Northwest and mid-west portion of the US. It is slowing spring color even in my unheated greenhouses. Lots of rain, which I am grateful for, but very cool temps below normal. I guess it will make spring color even more special when it does occur. Patience is hard sometimes - lol. I am attaching a photo from July last summer.

Attached Files:

D97x7, LoverOfMaples and Acerholic like this.
  12. Acerholic

Hi Sam, yes it can't be long now, even here everything is on the move, although temperatures are low this weekend. Your photo from last July gives a taste of what this maple can look like when given the right conditions.

13. Maple_Lady

I am very confused at this moment. I was replying to this thread about Amagi shigure, but my reply also showed up on another thread that mystifies me - Shopping list for 2021. My reply seems totally unrelated to the conversation on that thread. Can anyone explain this?

14. Acerholic

Not really Sam, you may have hit the Shopping list button by mistake. But it could have been an anomaly, @Luke’s Maples had a glitch yesterday, but it rectified itself within the hour. If you are on an Android system that may be the problem,as they are having problems atm. Apps etc dropping out.

D

15. Acerholic

It was lovely to chat to some new members on PM's the other day, one of the questions was, can I post more of my early Spring photos to show their progression ? So here goes on the 25th March 2021.
    Amagi shigure 710.JPG

16. Acerholic

7th April 2021 and the leaves stared to unfurl the day before last nights -5°C frost. Seems OK atm, but I will keep an eye on it and will post more photos whatever they look like. It is important to post the bad as well as the good IMO.
    Amagi Shigure 182.JPG

17. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Look what I found

20210415_155148.jpg

It's seem to be doing well. Can't wait to see what 2021 brings.

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  18. Acerholic

That's a good find D.

19. Maple_Lady

Amagi shigure is a recent addition to my inventory. This maple seems a little weak when young, but develops nicely as it ages. The color is outstanding and the leaves and color are different than Purple Ghost. Amagi shigure has an open structure growth habit that is refreshing. I have two Amagi growing in my display garden. One gets full sun and the other gets sun until about 4 pm. Both seem to handle their locations well and hold color until the temperatures are really hot then some fading occurs. Fall color is crimson. It is reticulated and the veins look almost black, but I swear they are dark, dark green. A lovely maple and a show stopper.

Attached Files:

D97x7, Acerholic and LoverOfMaples like this.
  20. Acerholic

I definatly agree there Sam. And what a great close up photo of the leaves, something that I like a lot.

21. Acerholic

19th May 2021 and I wanted to add this today as it was Sams recent addition to her collection. This is how mine looks in Southern England. this morning.
    Amagi shigure 222.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  22. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Surrounded by 'Katsura'

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  23. maf

A slow growing plant and leaves seem to be in a flat plane mainly. I heard some UK nurseries stopped selling it due to not being Hardy enough but still going here and a very beautiful colour in the spring.

Attached Files:

D97x7 likes this.
  24. Acerholic

Love that contrast M. Placement is so important.

25. maf

For sure, here is the other side neighbours. Really hard to capture the colour accurately but this is not bad.

Edit: or maybe a little too washed out, hard to tell on the monitor I'm viewing on today, not calibrated.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.