Acer palmatum 'Katsura hime'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by lobsterpop, May 10, 2021.

1. lobsterpop

lobsterpop Member

KH 5-9-21 b.JPG fantastic tree, always changing - 6 years now from a 2" tall starter. first to break bud (with green cascade), last to turn in the fall. This gets 2 hours of sun directly overhead in at peak summer, the rest of the day, and year, it's shaded.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning @lobsterpop and welcome to the maples forum, a beautiful specimen and perfectly placed in your garden. It really glows.

3. lobsterpop

lobsterpop Member

= Here's the same tree, end of May 2020. It will remain yellow-olive through June, then pale green until mid Summer. We get a lot of fog, here. Was becoming very congested but with long leaders, did some corrective surgery in Feb. '21, I think it will spread out, now. Remains weepy until mid summer then miraculously gets woody.

Attached Files:

zfrittz and Acerholic like this.
  4. Acerholic

Where is here? Can I ask for you to put a location in your profile box so that members can understand what growing conditions you have.
    Take a look at mine to give you some idea. Location, zone etc etc.

Loving that Katsura hime BTW.

5. lobsterpop

lobsterpop Member

one more, it grew 8" in the past two days. hard to believe this will be a dwarf. acerholic, I'll work on that box info.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2021
    zfrittz and Acerholic like this.
  6. Acerholic

That does look stunning in the sunshine. Perhaps it could be your profile photo??

7. lobsterpop

lobsterpop Member

Katsura Hime - mesmerizing. I won't post any more of these. This is a springtime tree here, it colors up well in fall but so late the show can shut down to an early freeze.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  8. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Hello neighbor. Welcome to the forum. I see that lovely 'Katsura Hime' growing very nice down in Little Compton.

9. Acerholic

Good morning J, don't worry about putting more on here. That is what these threads are about.
    It's early morning here in England and to see your mesmorising Katsura hime as one of the first posts of my day is wonderful.

10. lobsterpop

lobsterpop Member

Here's katsura from November 2021. Same tree as above. Fugitive colors, often cut short by frost, but in a good year it's fantastic. This is one heck of a tree. Hard to believe it's seven years from a starter graft.

Attached Files:

AlainK, Acerholic and irshmerc like this.