Fertilizing JM in pots

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Lisa Harry, May 11, 2021.

1. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

I have a couple Japanese Maples most I will up pot soon and two I will root prune in fall. Should I fertilize them? They are doing well and I’ve read some feel it’s not necessary if they are thriving. I have these two fertilizers not sure the best to use, I’m trying to forget everything explained by the nurseries. thanks

Attached Files:

2. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

If you want growth and the compost is tired you can fertilise early in the season, so now would be okay. The first fertilervis too strong, you want a low in nitrogen fertiliser, so you could use the second at half strength.
    The downside is the new growth can loose variegation, and not be typical and the length of stem between buds, internodes will be extended and again not typical.
    So if you need growth, branch extension, then yes, but half strength.

3. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

So the berry & tree one 10-6-9?

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi again Lisa, just to say that I give my maples a slow or controlled release granular feed every Spring. Once only. I use makes called Miracle Grow and Doffs. I don't over do it as I do not want the leggy growth you can get with over feeding.
    But as a whole, maples require little or no feed as long as the compost in your pot is refreshed every couple of years.

5. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Thanks @Acerholic so would I use the slow release 14-14-14 or the other one I have? I’m not sure if it’s controlled release. Also it recommends scattering on surface but I’ve read to bury a few inches deep what do you recommend?
    Thx
    Lisa

6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Lisa the 14.14.14 is absolutely fine. What I do is pull away a little of the bark mulch I have in my garden and then sprinkle a little around the surface, I then recover it with the 'bark' only. Remember, maples are shallow rooters. Then over the season it breaks down as and when it rains etc.
    But don't feed after Spring. The one thing you don't want is lots of soft new growth as Autumn arrives.

Hope thats of help

D

7. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

@Acerholic thanks I’ll add today. I have a couple weeks left till spring is over.

Acerholic likes this.