Sun Stress on Cedar?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Bryan770, May 11, 2021.

1. Bryan770

Bryan770 New Member

Planted this cedar last spring (2020) and now this year it has this yellowing on the one side. I'm thinking maybe it's sun damage because it's planted on the east side of my house and it gets the most sun during the day. Could be something else but not sure. Just wondering if it will grow out of it or if there is something I can do to help prevent this. It is planted on a pretty clay soil and it gets more extreme heat and cold because I live in Southern Ontario. So maybe it has to do with those conditions.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's a Cypress or a Thuja of some sort, not a cedar. Yes, could well be sunburn, but some cypress cultivars are selected to be that colour - was it the same colour when you got it?

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    @Michael F - i looked at this earlier and clearly various issues can come up -

And what I am curious about is - how long after a « damage incident » does it manifest (make appearance) on a shrub

I realize if I poured straight fertilizer or bleach etc (which I would not) over a tender plant - it would fade to likely death by next week

But how long does it take for evergreens like the typical west coast cedar hedge that get brown one side (also commonly deer- eaten to a very odd shape!)

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Very variable! I guess deer browsing is the fastest* one to become obvious after the damage, <snip> and it's left an immediate hole. Salt spray / cold wind desiccation take a bit longer to become obvious, a few days or more, and damage by herbicides can be even slower, though more drastic in lack of recovery.
    * (well, apart from chainsaw attack :-))

5. Georgia Strait

So if we refer back to this little shrub planted 2020 spring states the original post -

- something MIGHT maybe have happened to it before it was planted

There are so many variables

Either at the plant store / supplier source

Or - if like me - I impulse buy then forget to plant it, so it waits and I realize it suffers .... tho I am trying to amend that bad plant husbandry habit

6. Bryan770

Bryan770 New Member

Ok yes it could very well be a golden crispii cypress now that I am doing some more research. It was given to me last year and my tree knowledge is very limited my apologies. I remember being mainly green when I got it but with the sun exposure it turns the tips Yellow. Which would make sense if one side has more of the yellowing than the other. So then for me I probably put it a poor location too close to my house and shades the other half of the tree late afternoon. That is what I'm thinking now.

7. Bryan770

Bryan770 New Member

Also I put a little some dry chicken manure in that area before I planted so maybe it's causing it to burn but I don't think that's the case or else you'd see the affect on the whole tree

8. Georgia Strait

I would not use chicken manure at all - tho maybe it has a use (what do the huge chicken egg factories do with material ?)

We were taught by old neighbor farmers born decades ago that poultry manure « burns » and horse manure had seeds weeds (one stomach) — and rotted sheep manure was ideal

Rabbit manure, goat manure, cow manure? I do not know

Some “steer manure” in bags at store has been heated but you’d have to read labels

I personally seek out some of the Sea Soil fr north Vanc island