Acer palmatum 'Otome Zakura'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by krautz33, May 1, 2005.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

August 29th 2020 and Autumn colours are very fast approaching. It even feels like we are in October today rather than August. 7° C at the moment.
    New shoots everywhere on my Otome Zakura, such a mixed up year!!! But this is looking very pretty IMO.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

4th September 2020 and the days seem to be getting shorter and shorter, which is a bit too fast for me. Busy time of the year in the garden for us maple growers, with less daylight !!!
    A morning with no dew or rain, but colours now popping up everywhere!!
    I had to show the new growth that was starting last week. Today so bright and cheerful.

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

8th September 2020 and the heat is returning, but very cloudy. My maples will enjoy this as long as there is no more new growth.
    The interest in this one has amazed me tbh, but when you see the leaves on this cultivar close up, I can understand why.
    I love it and seems a lot of others do also.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

9th September 2020 and new growth springing up everywhere. It so warm and today at 0800hrs it was 18°C.
    Tried to get the same shot but with early morning dew. Think it worked!!

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

12th September 2020 and believe it or not, new growth is everywhere in my garden together with Autumn colours emerging. Temperatures of 31°C expected in a couple of days.
    Otome Zakura looking like its ready to start the year!!!!

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

20th September 2020 and new growth plus some strange colouring on my maples now. Why is this happening so very late this year, shooting everywhere !!!

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

1st October 2020 and yet still more new growth on my Otome Zakura. No other year like this one!!!

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

8th October 2020 and I wanted to show the new growth on my Otome Zakura since the last posting. Its still doing well, but as we get closer to November, I am sure we will see some damage.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

9th April 2021, a new season and new Spring frosts to cope with. But so far so good for my Otome Zakura.
    Otome zakura 184.JPG

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

29th April 2021 and my last posting showed a glimpse of what was to come. So here it is now in all it's vibrant reds. I really can't get enough of my Otome Zakura. I think I might wear it out by all the staring , lol.
    Otome Zakura 207.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  11. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

I wasn't aware this cultivar turned quite so pale in early summer (June 2020) vs vivid pinks in March this year. Same tree in both photos.

Attached Files:

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  12. Acerholic

Hearing this a lot this year Xi, more vibrant colours accross the world. Yours is looking very bright. I like it.

13. Xi-feng

Thank you - I'm just hoping there's a similar show this year (but the current leaves are quite frost- and wind-bitten, so hoping it puts out a second flush in time for that fabulous colour!)

14. Acerholic

It hit you in London then !!? So many have suffered over here with the late Spring frosts. Next month we should get the second flush with no chances of any more frosts.

15. Xi-feng

Oh yes, every night for at least a fortnight! Looking forward to that second flush, as quite a few of mine are looking decidedly scabby at the moment...

16. Acerholic

9th May 2021 and after Xi @Xi-feng posted yesterday. I wanted to show how my colours were coming on.
    Otome Zakura 221.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  17. Xi-feng

Those colours are just stunning, aren't they? Beautiful!

Acerholic likes this.
  18. Acerholic

Thankyou Xi, yours and mine both.

Xi-feng likes this.
  19. Acerholic

30th May 2021 and the leaves in my Otome Zakura are now fully out. They have taken so much longer this year due to the very cold April.
    Otome zakura 245.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  20. Xi-feng

Halfway through the colour-change, though I don't think I'll get that crazy white-pink it turned last year:

20210604 Otome Zakura.jpg

Acerholic and D97x7 like this.
  21. Acerholic

I feel it's everything to do with such a late start Xi. But we will see. As long as the leaves transfer enough sugar to those roots for the Winter, that's all we can ask this year.

Xi-feng likes this.
  22. Acerholic

14th June 2021 and its now transition phase for my Otome Zakura. I do like this time as the colours are so mellow.
    Otome zakura 265.JPG

23. Xi-feng

Still a little sad not to have that weird white/hot pink combination from last June (what was THAT about?) that I posted earlier in the thread, but it's putting out some pretty pinks and greens instead this year:

20210619 Otome Zakura.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  24. Acerholic

It's getting really hard to work out what is the normal for any of our maples these days. No one Spring is like the last or the next.
    But yours is looking so very pretty Xi.

D

Xi-feng likes this.
  25. Acerholic

23rd June 2021 and now for Summer. My Otome Zakura seems to really enjoy this time of the year.
    Otome zakura 275.JPG