Only 7% of UK native woods are in a healthy state

Discussion in 'Plants: Conservation' started by Acerholic, May 7, 2021.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I just received this from the Woodland Trust that I am a member of.
    This is just a short extract, but is sad reading. Can it recover is the question!!?
    • Although woodland cover is slowly increasing, woodland wildlife is decreasing.
    • Only 7% of the UK’s native woods are in a healthy state.
    • Since 1970, woodland bird numbers have dropped by 29%.
    [​IMG]

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, they can, with extensive rewilding. The interest is there, but sadly not the political will (at least not in England; it's a bit better in Scotland and Wales, but even there, needs far more action).

Acerholic likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Good morning Michael, I do like positive thinking and especially when it comes to our woodlands and countryside. But as you say, the will has to be there by our government for this to succeed.

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Hello @Acerholic and @Michael F. I am equally saddened as alarmed to read the terrible statistics you describe. Surely the will must be there for everyday people to pressure the government to take the situation seriously. Does the citizenry realize how dire the situation has become? If not, why not?

I would have clicked on 'Like' for your past couple of messages but the information is anything but likeable.

5. Acerholic

Good morning Margot, yes it is very sad, and tbh I don't get too many messages from the Woodland Trust these days that are all that happy.
    I do write to my MP about this situation fir our woodlands and he is very positive with his replies, he's actually a very nice guy.
    But, the money atm is just not there. Covid has put paid to that. But let's be positive as Michael said and in 2022 when we are all hopefully back to normal things will start to change.
    Thanks for your sincere interest and reply Margot.

D

6. Acerholic

@Margot good evening Margot. I understand you are thousands of miles away, but I wanted to show you this link to the Woodland Trust here in the UK.
    The Woodland Trust
    I was involved with this charity at events around my county of Hampshire, back when I was at work.
    The main target was school children. And I hope the little I did helped them realise the value of all woodland around us.

D

Margot likes this.
  7. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    My uncle used to send greeting cards in aid of Woodland Trust

Being of UK heritage - I do look at Brit magazines and telly shows about old houses and gardens etc (esp country life)

And I have a couple of thoughts
    1. Even tho UK is so tiny (compared to us here) - I am amazed how much green and farm there is
    2. I find it confusing all the various charitable « save the _____ » groups there are - do they overlap... do they coordinate ... do they get along together (synergies) etc

We have lots of « save the ___ » groups too ... I would say Nature Conservancy is the most well known in Usa & Canada

And of course the really micro local letter writing people and of course - the best - the action people who are dedicated and effective (eg beach clean up day // logging road clean up day etc)

8. Acerholic

I can only say from my experience from several years back now. And my answer is 'no they don't'. Not really!!
    All have very good intentions, but IMO a lot are loathe to relinquish a position or a society name etc etc to form a bigger more wide spreading one. But I maybe wrong and things have changed.
    Glad to hear you enjoy the Country Life magazine, I used to get it with Horse and hound as part of my job. Important to keep abreast of all the countryside news.

9. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I understand - turf (literally!) wars
    ———-
    I have always remembered this fantastic story fr a few yrs ago - I really like how it shows country England

And the black & white cat who went along on their honeymoon (well, their uncle did too - and made these photographic treasures)

Lots of natural oak trees in the pictures ?

The large dry fields and oak trees resemble much of what our fellow poster here @Margot would know around Cowichan & well-known Dinters’ plant nursery nr Duncan BC
    Colour photos of honeymoon couple the Gardiner's road trip before outbreak of WWII | Daily Mail Online

Heathen, Margot and Acerholic like this.
  10. Acerholic

They are bygone days to be sure Georgia. I grew up in the 50's and tbh it was much like those photos. But then came the sixties and everything changed. Yes I liked the music and the swimming pools that I was in every day, but somehow the innocence disappeared in the country. Can't explain it really, but from then on the countryside seemed to suffer. And it is suffering still.

Thanks for sharing that article Georgia, I enjoyed it very much.

D

11. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

The public will is there, but sadly, the Johnson régime absolutely does not listen to the public, only to millionaires who support their fascist political ideology :-( :-( :-(