Acer palmatum 'Baldsmith'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Mar 3, 2004.

1. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

The fall colors on this one are striking, it is planted in mostly shade.

I added a photo when more purple

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  2. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

The fun thing about my Baldsmiths this year was they turned almost purple before turning a brilliant cranberry red. You can kind of see it in the smaller one.

Attached Files:

3. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

I enjoy the delicate, bright colors of this cultivar, even in shade, and even mid-summer when many other cultivars are dulled. It's especially pretty against a dark background.

Attached Files:

4. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Attached Files:

D97x7 likes this.
  5. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

I just picked one up today!

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

My Acer palmatum 'Baldsmith' is new this year 2020 as you can see by the first photo in April. It is really taking it's time growing, but I'm liking the colours of the dissected leaves already. Last photo July 5th. Time will tell !!!!

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

An update on my new Baldsmith 24th July 2020. You can see the old leaves in the centre of the photo with all the lovely new growth around it.
    I paid particular attention to this in taking my photo to show that after a period in a nursery and a box this does happen.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

August 6th 2020 and extreme heat is forecast over the next few days, so I thought I would post photos of my dissectums before and after to show how they cope. This I feel can be useful for people considering buying a particular variety.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

20th August 2020 and after days of rain after a heatwave, everything is picking up again. Severe storms coming tomorrow, so I hope I can batten down the hatches so to speak and protect my trees.
    My Baldsmith is looking pretty, but delicate. But if the storm does any damage I have this to remind me of how it did look.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

28th August 2020 and the ground is incredibly wet for the time of year. Just had more hail stones and my maples that are heavy in leaf do not like it one bit.
    My Baldsmith copes no matter the weather.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

8th September 2020 and the heat is returning, but very cloudy. My maples will enjoy this as long as there is no more new growth.
    My Baldsmith is my favourite in my garden today. I just love the colours of the branches and petioles. Leaves are not too bad either IMO.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

12th September 2020 and believe it or not, new growth is everywhere in my garden together with Autumn colours emerging. Temperatures of 31°C expected in a couple of days.
    My Baldsmith at least is now saying Autumn is approaching fast. This is a very pretty cultivar, one for every garden IMO. Place it near some light greens for best effect.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

3rd October 2020 and lashings of rain in the South of England, but for a brief moment it stopped. So here is my Baldsmith as promised yesterday.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

12th October 2020 and I only just managed to take this photo before the early sun dissapeared for the rest of the day.

Attached Files:

15. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

May 2021

Attached Files:

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  16. Acerholic

Beautuful J, as can be seen by my lack of postings here, mine is about another two weeks from leafing out. So I will enjoy yours.

17. Acerholic

22nd May 2021 and after torrential rain and strong winds here is my Baldsmith leaves from a few minutes ago.
    Baldsmith 234.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  18. Acerholic

8th June 2021 and I thought I would give an update after the battering a couple of weeks ago and now the hot sun.
    Not doing too bad IMO.
    Baldsmith 257.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  19. Acerholic

11th June 2021 and I wanted to post this to show that Baldsmith if kept in some shade will, not burn during very hot temperatures.
    Baldsmith 262.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  20. Acerholic

13th July 2021 and my Baldsmith is loving the weather this Summer. Dull and damp..
    Baldsmith 301.JPG

dicky5ash likes this.
  21. dicky5ash

Baldsmith is one of my all time favourites. I was given it as a gift for my 40th in 2014 (was a 7 year old tree sourced from Barthelemy’s in Wimbourne)..so 7 years on its about 6 feet wide and the same deep, 5 foot high.

It did not look it’s best for the first 2/3 years but since then it has been superb. Not as bright pink this year due to the poor weather over the last month but it’s now started colouring up nicely.

Attached Files:

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  22. Acerholic

Couldn't agree more ther R. I'm still waiting for some pinks.

D

23. dicky5ash

July last year and the year before for reference

Attached Files:

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  24. Acerholic

What a difference and what an amazing tree R.

dicky5ash likes this.
  25. Acerholic

2nd April 2022 the start of another season. And what a start, snow and -4°c last night. But my Baldsmith is underway.
    Baldsmith April 2022.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.