Maple seeds taking too long to germinate

Discussion in 'Maples' started by folhas de outono, May 6, 2021.

1. folhas de outono

folhas de outono New Member

Hello, can someone help me with my Florida maple seeds in those 36 days in the fridge I can speed up this process

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

After taking them out of the fridge, I usually place them in a saucer of warm water for 24 hours, I then sow them in a loose compost mix.
    Then I'm afraid it is patience, some sprout earlier than others, but IMO the whole process takes around 18 months two years.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2021
  3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I don't know what a "Florida maple" is, but most maples need at least a 60-90 days of cold stratification.

folhas de outono likes this.
  4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Possibly Acer floridanum, previously A. saccharum ssp floridanum or even A. barbatum. I'm on a quest to get one of these, it's not exactly rare but we don't see it much on this side of the pond. It might need a shorter germination period, but that's just a guess. I should think it would do well here, they grow as far north as the Carolinas.

Interesting the idea of a soak after stratification, I've never tried it, sounds worth a go.

AlainK and folhas de outono like this.
  5. folhas de outono

folhas de outono New Member

has anyone used gibberellins on acer seeds?

6. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

I germinated a good number of these last year. They started germinating after 60 days in the frig for me and I started them in Dec as I normally do most of my seeds.

Soaking after stratification is interesting D. I will try it on a few seeds this year.

7. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I found it really helped them along D. Try it alongside some that are not soaked, so that you can compare.
    I tried to replicate nature, a cold Winter followed by a wet warmer Spring, just seemed to make sense to me.