Maple cultivar by another name OR (Synonym).#27 #458 #665 #786

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

How many of us have seen Whitney Red for sale, I think most of us. But this is the synonym of 'Whitney Broom '.

2. Acerholic

This is a new one on me, but it might not be to others, so here is 'Wattez' and the synonym is Atropurpureum Wattez.

3. Acerholic

I can see why this one has become known by the synonym. The cultivar name is just too long. 'Waka momiji Variegated' and the synonym is Waka momiji.

4. Acerholic

Here is one that was being discussed recently, Green Globe. Now this is the synonym of two cultivars, 'Viridis Olandese' and 'Viridis Green Globe'. But it is the synonym name that we all see for sale.

5. Acerholic

This is a simple cultivar name, 'Viride', but it has a synonym of Dissectum. I really wonder why at times when I see this.

6. Acerholic

Now here is a japonicum that we all know. Aconitifolium, but did you know this is the synonym of ' Veitchii'. Well it's on list # 27 now for all to see.

7. Acerholic

I really have not heard of Acer palmatum 'V. Corbin', but it's there and it's synonym is Midori-no-teiboku. I prefer the synonym tbh.

8. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Are you sure ?

Isn't it rather Acer crataegifolium 'Veitchii' ?...

9. Acerholic

I really like this one, Acer palmatum 'Uncle Red' and the synonym is Bump. It's from the Tallon Buchholz nursery list of 2007, so it has been recorded.

10. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

I could defo be wrong about this but have heard Wills Devine is the same as Elmwood? Anybody else heard this?

Acerholic likes this.
  11. Acerholic

Not by the world checklist Alain.
    But you are right in that there is also a Acer crateaegifolium as well as a japonicum with the same name ie 'Veitchii'.

AlainK likes this.
  12. Acerholic

Good spot Luke. Yes it is, darn it I have both. My collection is getting smaller by the minute. Lol.

13. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

The well known one is crataegifolium 'Veitchii'. I've seen 'Aconitifolilium' under lots of names, but never actually Veitchii, so it cant' be super common.

14. Acerholic

Totally agree there E , I do think that some are resigned to the history books. But I bet as so much in life goes full circle as you see when one gets older. These names will reappear.

15. Acerholic

@Luke’s Maples. The correct synonym for 'Elmwood' is W. Devine. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that this turned into Wills Devine by the sellers. Totally unscrupulous IMO !!!

16. Acerholic

'Ukon nishiki' is heard around the Internet, as is it's synonym of Aoyagi. So this is a must for the list.

17. Acerholic

And yes 'Ukon' is also known by the synonym Aoyagi. Thanks for the heads up.

18. Acerholic

It is funny how just slip with a spelling mistake can go on to be the known name, as in this cultivar, Ukigomo kawariba' and the synonym Uki gumo kawariba.

19. Acerholic

'Ueno yama' is a very popular cultivar among may of us. But it is seen quite often sold as it's synonym of Ueno homare.

20. Acerholic

This cultivar has just one small word of 'no' in between, but 'Ueno-no-homare', has the synonym of Ueno homare. I wonder how many new to the world of maples would think that they are two different trees, based on the removal of the one small word !!

21. Acerholic

A couple of hours break doing some gardening, but now another cultivar, 'Tura-no-mai' and the synonym is Tsuru-no-mai. First mentioned in publication in 2006, so relatively new.

22. Acerholic

'Tsuma jiro' cultivar with a synonym of Tsumma jio. I think we can all ses what happened here...

23. Acerholic

This is one that so many will want to see, but maybe not this way around. Cultivar name 'Tsuma gari' and the synonym Tsuma gaki.

24. Acerholic

Some are so simple re a typo, as can be seen with this cultivar 'Tsukumo' and the synonym Tsukomo.

25. Acerholic

A shirasawanum next with 'Tsuki Kagi nishiki' and the synonym is Oitaya meigetsu atozae. In writing by Yano.