Maple cultivar by another name OR (Synonym).#27 #458 #665 #786

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Apr 19, 2021.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

On the subject of 'Shidiva Gold' and 'Aoyagi', even though the leaves are very similar, the port is different and the latter gets much bigger, right? So I don't think it's fair to call them synonyms even if the leaves are the same. A smaller version is useful, just as 'Orange Dream' is useful because it comes out a couple of weeks after the otherwise very similar 'Katsura'.

"Samurai shigitatsu sawa" is really offensive IMHO.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Thanks E, Shidiva and Aoyagi are not on the list as a Synonym, but as 'Similar to'.

3. Acerholic

OK, I've just received the World Checklist of Maple Cultivar Names from Hugh Angus ( Co author with Peter Gregory).
    So to start off I will begin with one that has been mentioned this morning Ukigumo, which is a Synonym of 'Yuki gumo'. On the list it goes before I go out for a picnic lunch with my birthday girl wife.

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  4. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Nice work Derek. This forum owes you gratitude for the hard work and passion you bring to the table. Thank you! :-)

Acerholic likes this.
  5. Acerholic

Thanks Luke, I'm trying my best for everyone.

6. Acerholic

OK, after a very interesting post from R @dicky5ash, I'm adding Crispifolium to the #27 list. It will go down as 'Similar to' Shishigashira and not a Synonym of.
    If you can only tell the difference if a label is attached, then it has to go on here.

7. Acerholic

Here is one I haven't heard of, 'Zig Zag' and the Synonym is Little Gem that I have heard of.
    Isn't it funny how so often the Synonym takes over from the cultivar name.

8. Acerholic

'Yukure' is the next with a Synonym of Yugure. Not an everyday one you see advertised, but someone might have it or even both in their collections. So this will be useful for them.

9. Acerholic

Now this is one that hopefully will help a lot of members, 'Yukon' and the Synonym is Aoyagi. A must for the posting #27.

10. Acerholic

'Yu jishi', is not an everyday name that you hear, but the Synonym is, O jishi. I think this one will pop up again.

11. Acerholic

'Yorimiya' may be a cultivar that doesn't come to light very often, if at all these days. But if it does, it will be listed here with the Synonym name of Yoimiya. You never know when a name like this will pop up for sale on the Internet.

12. Acerholic

Here is one that Luke @Luke’s Maples mentioned the other day. Hogyoku, now this is tentatively a Synonym of 'Yog saku'.

13. Acerholic

This one 'Yoen has a Synonym of Kagero, now I heard this name several years back, but not recently. So it may be one that has been resigned to the maple history books.

14. Acerholic

'Yezo nishiki' is know to us all I believe. I have one in my garden, but did you know the Synonym. It is Ezo nishiki. Very similar, so shouldn't fool anyone.

15. Acerholic

One last one for today, whilst I await a PM. Acer Shirasawanum 'Yellow moon', but known to us all as Aureum.

16. Acerholic

I've just been told about 'Momoiro Koyasan' by J @Jaybee63 and the various spellings of this cultivar. So this will be added to posting #27.

17. Acerholic

Here is one with the Yatsubusa title. It's cultivar 'Yatsubusa sekka' and the Synonym is Sekka yatsubusa.

18. Acerholic

Another of the Yatsubusa named cultivars is, 'Yatsubusa hikasa yama'.
    The Synonym is Shin hikasa.

19. Acerholic

This one will be of interest to many, it is 'Yamato nishiki'. The Synonym is Toyama nishiki.
    I think you have this one Luke @Luke’s Maples.

20. Acerholic

'Yamoto koto ito' cultivar has a synonym of Yamoto koto-no-ito. Just one small word added , but it matters.

21. Acerholic

Another in the Yamamoto cultivars is 'Yamamoto nishiki', with the synonym name Nishiki gasane. I have seen this advertised on the Internet under the synonym.

22. Acerholic

' Yama hime' I have seen for sale under the synonym Mon zukushi. I am sure other members have also. So it will be added to #27.

23. Acerholic

The last one for today is cultivar 'Yakushima nishiki'. And the synonym is Shimauri kaede.

24. Acerholic

Here is one I saw a few years back now ' Wolff's' and the synonym is 'Wolff's Broom'. A deep red that has a dense canopy.

25. Acerholic

Here is one I have in my collection that I know as Will's Devine, but that is the synonym of 'Will D'.