Orange dead branch

Discussion in 'Maples' started by debviolet, May 4, 2021.

1. debviolet

debviolet Active Member 10 Years

Help!?!
    An older branch on this variegated JM is orange and dead. Orange looks alarming. I plant to cut off where wood looks healthier....but does anyone have a diagnosis? Is tree doomed?

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

This is the start of that branch failing, it happens I'm afraid. I would remove it down to about two inches above the main trunk to allow for any die back.
    As Spring progresses, look for any new budding that you can encourage to take over from the branch that you removed. It will, take a couple of years to replace, but this can be achieved.

AlainK likes this.
  3. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Make sure to clean your secateurs and to cut beyond the dieback to where the wood is live and there is no black streaking in the wood.
    Remember, if your first cut is into diseased wood, you’ve infected your secateurs and likely will infect at the next cut.
    Maples have an amazing power to recover and form their own shape, a major branch loss happens, but the tree will regain a nice shape and can be helped with some judicious training of the new growth.

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  4. Acerholic

An excellent point J. I use rubbing alcohol after every tree, whether diseased or not.

Jaybee63 likes this.
  5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

That's what I should do, what everyone should do...

Jaybee63 likes this.
  6. debviolet

debviolet Active Member 10 Years

Yes, I also use rubbing alcohol: over the years, I have gotten increasingly cautious.
    Glad to hear the orange is not a death warrant: haven't seen it before....
    Thanks for all the encouragement!
    Debviolet

Acerholic likes this.
  7. Acerholic

No not for the tree, but those branches will fail and have to be removed.
    Very glad to hear you use rubbing alcohol on your secateurs. It really does help in not transferring infections. Very much like we are all using hand gel these days !!