Is my Esk Sunset Maple alive?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by SLR2009, Apr 22, 2021.

1. SLR2009

SLR2009 Active Member 10 Years

Hi, do you think my Esk Sunset Maple is alive or dead? The buds have looked the same for a couple of weeks while my other Acer's either have large buds or are leafing out. There is green beneath the bark but several branches had dieback last fall. I think it was stressed when I removed a girdling root when it was dormant last spring. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good evening SLR2009, Esk Sunset is a late to leaf out tree, so IMO give it another week at least. As you say it is green underneath the bark so it is still alive. I have found over the years, when I do root work, especially girdling root removal, my maples sulk for at least a year before bouncing back better than ever. So give it a little while longer before consigning it to the tip.

3. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi SLR2009 as stated already they are late developers, added a few pics of mine from today , only nicely swelling at present a few more weeks before we see any leaf on this one.Had this one in a pot for a few years but in 2018 it struggled during the spring so planted this straight for the rest of the year, then in 2019 it made a gradual recovery , then last year had some nice colours but a smallish leaf structure , but this year i am hoping it will be back to normal had lots of attention over the last year.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

I thought I would take a photo of my Esk Sunset buds this morning for @SLR2009
    Now I am zone 8b and they are only just opening. I'm not expecting much tbh until the start of May, as you can see other buds swelling but a while until they leaf out.
    Esk Sunset 201.JPG

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  5. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Trees amaze me by the things they do to survive.

Old Silver Maple
    20210424_115816.jpg

20210424_115716.jpg

20210424_115746.jpg

20210424_125923.jpg

Three Flower Maple
    20210424_110707.jpg

Can't remember the name of this one
    20210424_101321.jpg

20210424_101315.jpg

AlainK likes this.
  6. Acerholic

And for me, the scars and breaks they have make them even more interesting. It tells a story of what a tree has been through over decades or sometimes hundreds of years.
    But I also see the point you are making D, re trees do want to live. Just give them the chance.

7. SLR2009

Well I'm pretty sure the tree is dead now :(. The bark underneath does not look green anymore and the buds haven't changed.

8. Acerholic

So sorry to hear that SLR2009. This happened to me last year with my Griseum. And there was no reason behind it.
    Has anything envoirnementaly happened that has been out of the ordinary over the past 18 months where you live ? It can sometimes be an event quite a long time ago that starts a trees decline.
    Are you going to replace it with like for like?

SLR2009 likes this.
  9. SLR2009

Yes, I removed a girdling root that was cutting into the trunk last spring. I would defenitely like to replace it with another one.

10. Acerholic

Then perhaps the girdling root had done more damage than you thought. But something a very popular contributor to the forum once said, 'hey, sometimes trees die'. Such a laid back attitude and a way of thinking I wish I could adopt. ( He's on the forum now btw).
    If you do get another Esk and tbh I really hope you do, then ensure it is not buried too deep and the upper roots are not completely covered in soil or mulch. I prefer a large square, fairly shallow hole btw. You will then be able to keep an eye on any roots that cause problems again.
    Good luck SLR2009 whatever you do and if you get the chance please let the forum know with a photo or two of your new tree.

SLR2009 likes this.
  11. SLR2009

The main tree is dead but there is new growth coming up from the bottom of the root ball. This is the second Eskimo Sunset I lost and the second time that the new growth at the bottom of the tree is coming up from the roots. This isn't the root stock it's variegated like the my first tree that died and looks just like the Eskimo Sunset. Any ideas why this happened 2 times? Thank you for your help.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

Good morning SLR 2009, first of all did both failed trees come from the same supplier? If so then there is possibly a problem with the growers.
    If not, then to have two fail is more than a coincidence and could be the planting area, ie not free draining or being planted too deep. Hence the new growth coming from the rootstock.
    Also I'm seeing a lot of lower damage to the main trunk. This can happen when the tree does not receive adequate water, especially in the first two years. It is essential to have a regular watering regime otherwise even a strong new tree will often fail.
    So IMO, look at the nursery they came from and consider asking for a refund. Secondly check planting area to ensure it is suitable fir this tree and lastly if another replacement is going to happen, then buy from a different supplier and ensure regular watering and do not plant too deep.
    Sorry, that’s all I have I'm afraid.

13. SLR2009

Hi, when I went to remove the Eskimo Sunset today the trunk broke in half very easily so there was definitely something going on with the tree (I didn't see any insects though). I bought a new Eskimo Sunset today (20 gallon container) but the root flare is buried several inches deep. I removed a few inches of excess soil but I didn't see the root flare and there were some fine roots there. Would it be okay to expose root flare now or should I do this when the tree is dormant? I would keep it in a container until then. I'm afraid to remove those roots now but I would do it if it won't effect the tree. I appreciate your help

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  14. Acerholic

Good morning SLR2009, I feel that it is now getting a little late to mess around with roots, so IMO just gently remove the soil that is against the trunk. Then next year in 'early' Spring you can remove a lot more to expose the root flare. At the end of the day exposing the root flare is just to ensure the trunk does not have soil up against it. And obviously ensures correct depth of planting.
    Hope this helps.