Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

2. Acerholic

Great photo J, another for the maple community. I'm starting to wonder if I should start a new thread with members and their maples, so they don't get lost on the big threads.

3. Acerholic

@emery, I'm thinking about a new thread entitled 'Members with their Maples', so that they don't get swallowed up in the big threads and lost in the thousands of postings.
    What do you think? I will set it up if you think it's a good idea and search for everyone's photos here.

Jaybee63 likes this.
  4. Acerholic

Good morning D, at last and a great photo to add to the thumb and foot shots. Lol.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  5. Acerholic

If anyone is going to post a photo of themselves with their maples for @emery, then please have a look at this thread. @AlainK started the ball rolling with the first photo.
    Appreciation: - Members and their maples
    I've created it so as not lose them on the big threads. I do hope everyone joins in. It is great to actually see and picture each other from all over the world when chatting on the forum.

6. Acerholic

I've been out through the night spraying yet again and fingers crossed that's the end of the Spring frosts. That was 4 hours ago now, so after checking my babies a few minutes ago and they seemed OK, I took a few photos. I also wanted to show how very late some are in leafing out this year.
    Ki hachijo 208.JPG Koto ito komachi 208.JPG Elmwood 208.JPG Kamagata 208.JPG
    They are Ki hachijo, Koto ito Komachi, Elmwood and Kamagata.

7. Acerholic

Good morning, well it's the 1st of May and we should be having so much colour atm, but this ridiculous Spring weather is holding everything back or burning the new leaves.
    I managed to take these a few minutes ago that were doing OK, but so slow.
    My Kawahara Rose was the brightest of all the pinks this morning. The others are Edna Bergman, Black lace, Villa Taranto and Mr Sun.
    Kawahara Rose 210.JPG Edna Bergman 210.JPG Black lace 210.JPG Villa Taranto 210.JPG Mr Sun 210.JPG

Nik, wind-borne, LorenzoDec and 3 others like this.
  8. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I’ve had a lucky escape, all looks well and good, pristine in fact. This is unusual as we normally have a much earlier leaf out and frost damage March early April and have to wait for the second growth.
    All that I had with frost burn around a month ago was a few seedlings I’m growing on and hoping they recover, which is usually the case.
    So Derek, where in Hampshire are you as it’s surprising how we’ve had such different weather?
    What we haven’t had is much rain this last week, just sporadic showers and it’s all very dry in the garden.

9. Acerholic

That's the coastal air J. I think you are in the perfect place. I'm just South of Winchester. Quite a frost pocket. Last night was bad, even comparing to the whole of April. Looks like the same again tonight, although it is saying 0° C, the same as last night.
    Bring on the cloud, PLEASE !!!!

10. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Good morning Maple lovers

I thought I’d just put a couple of different cultivars together to show the different array of colours we have in our gardens to enjoy. I love Spring time :-)

Jordan at the back, then middle row left to right is Isobel, Ukigumo, Moonrise and Beni Maiko.
    The front two are Aratama and Flavescens.

Very satisfying to look at ;-)

Luke

Attached Files:

Nik, LorenzoDec, Shin-Deshojo and 3 others like this.
  11. Acerholic

A lovely arrangement for a Spring Bank Holiday weekend Luke. Even though it's Winter coats on, lol

12. Luke’s Maples

Close ups of each

Attached Files:

Nik, wind-borne, Shin-Deshojo and 2 others like this.
  13. Luke’s Maples

This caught my eye
    Hana Matoi

Attached Files:

Shin-Deshojo, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  14. Luke’s Maples

Ichygoji pretty much fully out. Not much to loot at until October but very much worth the wait. Can see a resemblance to Hogyoku, especially in that last shot.

Attached Files:

Nik, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  15. Acerholic

I do love the close ups. You see everything of the leaves and just how wonderful they are. Thanks Luke.

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  16. Acerholic

That's early to get the variegation already. Mine doesn't start until June. Tropical Oxford I suppose, lol.

17. Luke’s Maples

Decided to remove the lower branches you suggested on my Kamagata D @Acerholic

I’m loving the shape of this right now :-)

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

Any chance of a photo of the two together Luke ? Could be a good one for the other thread !!?

19. Acerholic

And in a few years when you can look at it from afar and walk underneath it, then the pruning will be worth it. This is a wonderful cultivar.

20. Luke’s Maples

I have an interesting question for you lot. Out of the seven Maples in this pic, order them in order of preference. 1 being the best etc...

21. Luke’s Maples

No problem, and a great idea. Just started raining so when it stops ill go back out. Shame I don’t have Osakazuki, especially if it were a similar size/age to go with them.

22. Acerholic

1 Ukigumo
    2 Isobel
    3 Beni Maiko
    4 Moonrise
    5 Aratama
    6 Flavescens
    7 Jordan
    I placed Jordan at 7 because I think the best is still to come. Tbh in a couple of weeks my order would be completely different, as they change so much at this time of the year. Although I think Ukigumo would stay quite a way up the list all year long.

Shin-Deshojo and Luke’s Maples like this.
  23. Acerholic

24. Luke’s Maples

25. Acerholic

The Holy grail of all places. Westonbirt!!!