Maple leaf issue after aphids

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerleigh7, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Acerleigh7

Acerleigh7 New Member

Hi all, new to the forums.
    I have searched for 'aphids' and 'black spots' but nothing quite answered my question so here goes...

I have a few potted maples along with 2 smaller bonsai.
    Last week I noticed quite a few had the dreaded aphids showing under the leaves, and my 2 orange dream's were particularly affected.
    Never had them quite this bad before and a short blast of regular insectiside has always been more than enough.
    This time around, the aphids have been quickly dispatched, but a week on and most of the leaves on all plants have some kind of black spotting.
    The orange dreams are again the worst affected and even seem dirty in appearance.
    A little research and I thought this could be 'sooty mold' but this does not come off, rather it looks like damage or fungi?

Just wondering, is this simply the aftermath of the aphid attack?
    Or something else at work?

Some pictures attached/closeup of leaves to help identify.
    So far the plants still appear healthly with no leaf drop etc.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Acerleigh7 good evening and welcome to the mapes forum. First of all, what part of the UK are from? The reason I ask is that UK members who might be suffering the same problems might be able to point you in the right direction now and in the future with any problems. So if you could update your profile with a County, that will help.
    Next your maples, now in March of this year we had a mini heat wave, especially in the South where I live. This caused an explosion of Aphids. Now looking at your leaves IMO you have the residue left by the many thousands that were on your trees. I don't believe it is tar or leaf spot.
    The problem is with what the Aphids have left behind in that the leaves may curl up and drop. It sounds awful and yes it is, but you will get a second flush of leaves a bit later, normally around 6 weeks. It is then important to keep a close eye on these new leaves and rid them of any new attack.
    A lot use a mixture that includes dish soap, but for some reason this year it is not working, so sadly the chemical route may have to be used.

Hope this of help

Acerleigh7 likes this.
  3. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

This has been the worst year for me with aphids. I agree with Acerholic and the fact they leafed out late this year probably made it worst as they attack the soft nee extension growth.
    They cover everything with their sticky residue.
    I’ve used a systematic insecticide this week as the problem is so bad, if I hadn’t most would have had their nee foliage tarnished

Acerleigh7 likes this.
  4. Acerholic

You had it bad down there then J. Looks like all the South tbh. I will be interested to hear where @Acerleigh7 is from.
    Think we all will be reverting to chemicals this Spring.

5. Acerleigh7

Acerleigh7 New Member

Thanks both.
    Profile updated, Im in South Wales...

I agree we have had some sudden hot days and I have been on top of my watering and keeping them shaded, but I wish I had seen the outbreak sooner.
    Luckily not all are this bad and my deshojo and bloodgood is almost totally unaffected.

Would you recommend any pruning or removal of the worst leaves to encourage the new batch?
    Or monitor and wait?

6. Acerholic

Hi up there in South Wales, my sister lives there and has had Aphid problems like no other year. IMO I would leave them and see how they turn out. They will drop naturally if they indeed do so.
    I don't like de leafing as I'm always afraid I might damage the new buds.
    So IMO watch and wait.
    BTW don't feed, but just keep an eye on watering especially as it's been so dry.

Jaybee63 likes this.
  7. Acerleigh7

Acerleigh7 New Member

Ah small world...Nice to know I'm not alone then
    Thanks for your time and suggestions. I will keep a watch and take some comfort in the fact its nothing more sinister. Such a shame though as the fresh foliage was looking really vivid prior to this.

8. Acerholic

Isn't that always the same, the colours come and so do the pests.

9. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I think it could be sooty mold, caused by the sugary exudate produced by aphids (that's why ants love them) :

Sooty mold - Wikipedia

Jaybee63 likes this.
  10. Acerleigh7

Acerleigh7 New Member

Thanks for the suggestion and link AlainK...
    I thought so originally, but it cannot be washed or scraped off etc.
    Rather than a coating it seems like damage.

Leigh

11. Acerholic

Good afternoon L. Once the Aphids leave this deposit it is almost impossible to remove with out damaging the leaves even more.