Maple shopping list 2021

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Dec 29, 2020.

1. clorgan

clorgan Member

Thanks very much!

Haha my amateur eyes are seeing a few options... But I reckon a line using one of those curved branches in the middle could be interesting.

Edit - here's the current back by the way. Would love to hear your thoughts!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  2. clorgan

clorgan Member

Thanks very much! Looking forward to it arriving :)

3. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I have Nathan, it’s trouble free and puts on good growth. An original 3 litre plant now around 3.5 Mtrs high. C4643DD7-8953-4E03-8902-3A93179CD2DB.jpeg EAEDB246-9BBD-4E63-B246-69DE25EF0429.jpeg

AlainK, LoverOfMaples and Acerholic like this.
  4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Thats a beauty J, a very natural shape that has been allowed to do it's own thing.

5. Jaybee63

Once you getting them growing upright, they tend to self prune discarding shaded branches and naturally, thinning out to end up not looking like a “Yetti” and some that do it naturally.
    Lower branches are cleared as mentioned yesterday on the ones that don’t burn to provide space and shade for more maple under planting

6. Acerholic

My very old maples self prune, I hardly have to do anything to them. But my youngsters I have to do some work on in June time each year.
    My garden is still developing after a complete change around 3 years ago, so is still in transition. But yours looks the finished article J. 'So wonderful'.

Jaybee63 likes this.
  7. Jaybee63

I help “all” of my young maples achieve the shape I want. when selecting, I look at the framework and it helps me decide on which plant I pick.
    I will purchase a maple regardless of cultivar and if I already have it, if I like the shape.

8. Acerholic

Tbh I tend to go for ones I don't have already, mainly, because of room. But my wife often says a grouping of three of the same cultivar would be her preference. She's far more artistically minded than me though.