Grown up seedlings

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Jaybee63, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

With all the near identical new introductions I often look to seedlings for something different and they can make impressive plants to compare to any named cultivar.
    I have a few which are yet to leaf, but here’s a selection, photos taken today.
    The last maple had to have the “last ditch chop” something I’ve often had to do when there is rapid dieback and have a few nice plants that have come back successfully.
    93CA41D7-4090-44B5-89A3-29BAE4FA0BDB.jpeg F16E4BA5-0E52-4832-A971-B472E79D732C.jpeg 091CDC7F-1E73-4B81-8C44-05207CDF3180.jpeg 9F747D4D-3A15-4B9C-8933-1CCFA778DDB1.jpeg 2868EDD7-E6A3-40B6-A2C0-01EDA302117D.jpeg 93CA41D7-4090-44B5-89A3-29BAE4FA0BDB.jpeg F16E4BA5-0E52-4832-A971-B472E79D732C.jpeg 091CDC7F-1E73-4B81-8C44-05207CDF3180.jpeg 9F747D4D-3A15-4B9C-8933-1CCFA778DDB1.jpeg 2868EDD7-E6A3-40B6-A2C0-01EDA302117D.jpeg

Attached Files:

AlainK, kbguess and Acerholic like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I am so 100% behind what you said J. There is so much beauty in seedlings, but just because they haven't been cultivated by a professional and mass produced then they are often looked down upon.
    Your photos show that it matters not that they have a name. They look wonderful in their own right. Good thread J.

3. Jaybee63

And this baby has grown into quite some specimen.
    And knowing it’s a seedling, it’s unique.

image.jpg

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  4. Acerholic

Exactly!!!
    The one argument from some is that seedlings don't do well on their own feet. Is that your experience also J ?
    Do you have a high loss rate ?

5. Jaybee63

Yes, very high loss rate with making it to the second year.
    But with so many self seeding, you just accept the losses. Some look really promising but never make it through the first winter.
    But “occasionally” there is one with something special and real vigour, no fertiliser, it just wants to grow.
    So I guess natural selection, accept only the strong survive.
    I’ve stratified seed, but equally have so many that self sow and have occasionally found something special from these.
    They seem to love coming up under disscetums, it’s the best place to look as I have dissectums under taller trees where the crowns have been lifted and the seed falls through the disscetums.

6. Acerholic

I think that's a very important message for people reading this thread. Don't give up and expect some losses, the reward at the end is a unique maple that possibly nobody else has. Your photos are the living proof that seedlings are really beautiful 'without a label'.

7. Jaybee63

Derek, I know you said you were running out of planting space.
    Maybe you do this, but have you considered lifting the canopy of some of your planted maples, train then up and aesthetically prune, clear the lower branches and then under plant. It’s what I do.
    The ones to train up are the ones which don’t burn in their present position, they then provide shade for the more delicate plants.

8. Acerholic

That is a good idea. It is something I can look at over this season as I get lots of growth. A different approach is definatly what I need, a triple story could be the answer, as there are other maples I would like. Well a couple anyway !! Thanks for the suggestion J.

9. Jaybee63

image.jpg Here’s an example, Orange Dream to the left, Katsura to the right. Both started as small 3-5ltr plants, planted and trained up with the bases cleared

10. Jaybee63

A couple more examples image.jpg image.jpg

ChrisUk, AlainK and wind-borne like this.
  11. Acerholic

That is so picturesque J. Gosh we have all missed your garden over the last year.
    A brilliant example of tiered planting and correct pruning.

12. Acerholic

Now this is a good example for me, as we have four Betula jacquemontii Snow Queens to give shade. They are growing very nicely now, but only around 15ft. If I create two more tiers beneath and raised their canopy also, then there is room for more to fill in under that.
    Good photos J, I will discuss it with her, but I know her reaction already. I here her words saying, " So that means more maples to buy then". My answer will be a very humble and very quiet, " Maybe", Lol.

Thanks J

13. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

This is my baby.
    Looking all grown up now.
    018.JPG
    001.JPG
    002.JPG

AlainK, Jaybee63 and Acerholic like this.
  14. Acerholic

Exactly Keith, 'Your' baby. So rewarding and it's a beauty.

15. Jaybee63

Wow Keith, thats a fully mature tree, what a feeling getting a seedling to that stage

16. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

Jaybee63 likes this.
  17. Jaybee63

My garden isn’t big, but I have 7 Jaquemonti planted in the rear garden, it’s superb for the right amount of shade.
    They all have their crown lifted to around 7 to 8 feet.
    I also have a couple of native Betula Pendula planted as shade at the front.

18. Acerholic

That's definatly the way to go. Thanks J.