Spring colo(u)rs

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning, these Intook a few minutes ago after a frautfull night with frosts. But all is well. I've tried to keep it topical from messages over the past few days.
    Ariadne 205.JPG Beni shigitatsu sawa 205.JPG Ryusen 205.JPG Hana Matoi 205.JPG Red dragon 205.JPG
    They are Ariadne, Beni Shigitatsu sawa, Ryusen, Hana Matoi and Red Dragon.

Can I mention here about this other thread:-

Maple cultivar by another name OR (Synonym).#27

The title has been changed slightly by adding OR to allow members to submit names of maples that are not official Synonyms, but are so similar, if not identical, that to have a name alongside will help others when looking to buy another for their collection. (Why buy another tree when the only way to tell the difference is from a label). Posting # 27 on that thread shows the list so far. I am updating it daily.

zfrittz, monicasanchez, Nik and 3 others like this.
  2. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Lovely pics D. I have just been out to have a look at mine and although I don’t usually worry about frosts, I can definitely see some browning/crinkling/drooping on the upper and outer leaves. Is that frost damage?

3. Luke’s Maples

If so you’re going to have to get up even earlier so you can come and spray mine too lol ;-)

Acerholic likes this.
  4. Acerholic

Hi Luke, I'm afraid so, I am so sorry...., but don't worry unduly, they will re shoot from new buds in around 4-6 weeks. And as no frosts will be around then, they will be fine.

5. Acerholic

Tempting Luke !!!!! But that pushes friendship a bit too far, LOL.

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  6. Luke’s Maples

Sneaking maples passed the wife is one thing but trying to explain where you are going in the middle of the night is another ball game lol ;-)

Acerholic likes this.
  7. Acerholic

Did we ever think that this would turn out to be a sneaky pastime, 'probably not' !! Lol.

8. Luke’s Maples

Absolutely not no. Nor did I expect to have to go to ‘AA’ once a week. Acers Anonymous lol

9. Luke’s Maples

Even with freshly broken ribs I feel like getting in the car and scoping out the local garden centres for any new varieties or bargains. It’s ridiculous lol

10. Acerholic

Becoming a big club lol.

11. Acerholic

They do get you that way, but what's the harm!!
    I'm chomping at the bit so to speak, as no room for anymore. But I think I might be through the cold turkey now.. well possibly !!?
    I would still love Japanese Princess though, lol.

12. Luke’s Maples

Perhaps once you realise you may have 2 of the same trees but under different names, you could sell to make room for more ;-)

monicasanchez likes this.
  13. Acerholic

I've been thinking that tbh Luke. It is a good idea, but like an over protective parent, which maple to let go. Perhaps the teenage one, lol.

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  14. Luke’s Maples

15. Luke’s Maples

I just can’t comprehend the thought of never buying another maple. If it was a matter of space and you had the opportunity to buy a Japanese Princess for example l, I’m sure you could think of one that isn’t as special to you as the others that you could sell or re-home?

16. Luke’s Maples

Thanks M. Mine is now in a shady spot along side Shigitatsu Sawa that seems to suffer from even mildly hot sun.

17. Luke’s Maples

Loving the Autumn Moon. Mine didn’t put on a single bit of growth last year. It was a root balled specimen from Karan Junker and I’m just hoping that after a year in its new surroundings it’ll start to grow. Time will tell I guess?

18. Luke’s Maples

Rhode Island Red is lovely. My favourite of the upright reds has to be Shojo Nomura. Big, deep but bright red leaves that don’t green out in summer. It has a wonderful habit too.

19. Acerholic

A very good point Luke, but as I've had most for a long time, to let them go would be heartbreaking. And unfortunately you have been there and do not want to be in that position ever again.
    But my daughter loves maples, and I'm gradually filling her garden with them, so it wouldn't be a complete loss.

20. Luke’s Maples

This is all new valuable information to me. Thanks for sharing that technique;-)

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  21. Luke’s Maples

I can’t believe I sold my Kinran. I must replace it!!!!

22. Acerholic

Good morning everyone, first of all I had 6 hours sleep last night, thats the first time in over a month that it's been more than 4 due to the instant frosts. So I'm full of beans today. Well half a tin maybe !!
    So here are some I took earlier.
    They are Edna Bergman, Coral magic, Tsuma Beni, Fujinami Nishiki and Phoenix.
    Edna Bergman 206.JPG Coral Magic 206.JPG Tsuma Beni 206.JPG Fujinami nishiki 206.JPG Phoenix 206.JPG

Shin-Deshojo, Nik, wind-borne and 2 others like this.
  23. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Lucky those who have nurseries with Japanese maples nearby!

Some of us have to settle for what they want to send us from ebay or online nurseries...

It's a lovely addiction.

24. Acerholic

I agree very much Monica, but to have a Mr Maple from the US on your doorstep could mean bankruptcy, lol.

25. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

E56B09B1-00EB-4DD6-A18D-CE4D757A0B9B.jpeg 7A7AA73A-D741-46E8-8F62-FE9DAE79309C.jpeg 828843F3-6A3A-4DAF-9FD8-DF9B30F5070F.jpeg 88F6517C-496F-47E9-8938-B797E650337A.jpeg Momoiro koya San.
    Just love how all the new extension growth is translucent, in the right lighting it’s quite something.

Shin-Deshojo, Nik, zfrittz and 5 others like this.