Frost-damaged Ginkgo

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by AlainK, Apr 25, 2021.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

It's the first time I've seen this : after the spell of very warm weather we had, high temps records broken with 25.4° C, we had some frost. I have 3 potted Ginkgos, and all had their young leaves burned by temps of down to -5° C. They haven't evolved for the last 3 weeks.

Here's one of mine this morning :

ginkgo02_210424a.jpg

There are quite a few Ginkgos around, and some of them are now in full leaves, but I went to a park yesterday and saw this one :

ginkgoPF1_210424a.jpg ginkgoPF1_210424b.jpg

Will my potted trees recover ? I think so, but I'm a bit worried since one of them is one of my favourite bonsai :

ginkgo01_191017a.jpg

Karl Villareal likes this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

And these are the toughest trees in the world, they survived whilst the Dinosaurs did not, survived atomic bombs, but late Spring frosts in 2021 is another story.
    I will pay close attention to spraying tonight on my Ginko's, thanks for the heads up Alain.

3. AlainK

In the worst case, they will backbud lower on the trunk but I'm a bit worried I might lose some branches on the "bonsai".

I went for a short walk in a park which is inside the city, so I expected the big Gingko there to be OK, and it is. It's a tough guy :

2021-04-25_JdP01.jpg 2021-04-25_JdP02.jpg 2021-04-25_JdP03.jpg 2021-04-25_JdP04.jpg 2021-04-25_JdP05.jpg 2021-04-25_JdP06.jpg

On the plate, it's written it's about 15 metres, I think it's even higher.

There's another one, a cultivar : 'Mariken'. It's only about 2 metres tall, is in a more exposed area, and has suffered from the frost. It's mainly the leaves on the top of the branches that are damaged, those pointing under are in a much better condition :

2021-04-25_JdP07.jpg

4. Acerholic

They should re bud Alain. I'm not a Bonsai expert 'at all' as you know, but I have Ginkos in the garden and one was hit by a late frost in 2019 and it produced new leaves by early June. My fingers are crossed for yours.

5. AlainK

Phew, I feel relieved...

As I said, I'm pretty sure they will backbud, but the pb is "where". With maples, it's easy : where there is a "ring" of growth. With Ginkgos, you never know...

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Dinosaurs did survive of course, they rebranded and are flying around us all the time ;-)

7. Acerholic

That's very true Michael, and as I was a trained raptor ( birds of prey) handler, I should have said that. But my meaning about the Ginkgo and Dinosaurs was more of an overall message, that they are real suvivors.

pozzee likes this.
  8. AlainK

That's what's happening with my Ginkgo biloba 'Saratoga', but it seems the buds further up are about to push a new growth too :

ginkgo-saratoga01_210508a.jpg ginkgo-saratoga01_210508b.jpg

A "plain" Ginkgo is also showing new buds. The first leaves are dead and brown, but new ones are about to show :

ginkgo02_210508a.jpg

I went to different parks in the past two weeks, most of the Ginkgos had the same symptom except one. I visited an arboretum today, and it was the same (no photos).

9. Acerholic

Thats brilliant Alain, as I said, before, the same happened to mine. They are real survivors.

10. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    This title topic re: ginkgo reminds me of a couple of side topics

1. Gingko petrified forest state park to Interstate 90 (I-90) on the Columbia River downstream of the HUGE « dry falls » in central Washington State USA (the result of our most recent ice age & Lake Missoula)

Isn’t Gingko one of the still extant oldest living species ?

2. @Margot might know - there was a little arboretum above Transfer Beach in Ladysmith just south of 49th parallel (our border w USA in most of Canada West) - a tree over on Vanc Island where the former Crown Zellerbach office was on side of highway - and a mature gingko circa 1990s. It was very prominent. I wonder if it’s still there ... I suppose google st view might show me .

11. AlainK

Cool, rainy weather here, 5/17 or the like. Perfect for maples, and the Ginkgos are pushing out new leaves :

ginkgo02_210514a.jpg ginkgo02_210514b.jpg

('Sarratoga')

ginkgo-saratoga01_210514a.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  12. Acerholic

Your happy now Alain!!

13. AlainK

My cool, awaiting serenely the weeks to come. The future is never bad...

14. Acerholic

A very good way to look on life in general me thinks!!!

15. AlainK

They've made it ! No wonder, Ginkgo is said to be the only tree that survived Hiroshima.

The "bonsai" and its air-layer that is now over 1.90 tall (with the pot). It's getting too big for my small garden so I will probably air-layer it again, just below the first branches and higher up on the trunk. I'm sure dormant buds will push out on the lower part, and I will give the "clones" to friends.

...Or not ;-)

ginkgo01_211008a.jpg ginkgo02_211008a.jpg

Georgia Strait and Nik like this.