Indoor tree help

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by dvnnvd, Apr 24, 2021.

1. dvnnvd

dvnnvd New Member

Just recently moved and my plant did not like the change. At first, it had lots of leaves that were intact and green. After the move, I had to remove over half of the leaves because they started turning brown and yellow. Not sure what type of plant this is either. I think it looks kind of silly now with barely any leaves and was just wondering 1) if it would survive 2) how to make it look healthier/full of leaves again 3) what type of plant this is?

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

It's Dracaena massangeana. It's not going to fill in along the bare parts of the stem. It probably will survive, if you figure out its water requirements, which seem to have changed because of its new conditions. Or was it subjected to cold weather during the move?

What you can do is cut off the tops at 8 inches or so and pot them up, either in a new pot or in the same pot. You can just push them into the soil. And you can leave the bare stems where they are and see if they start growing new tips. It might take many weeks.

3. dvnnvd

dvnnvd New Member

Wow you’re awesome!

When cutting the top off, what tool do you recommend to use to do so?

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Whatever works. I always start with scissors, move up to a pruners if I have to. That's all I have.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

IIRC, it's best to let the cut surface dry off and callus over for a day or two before putting in the soil, to reduce the risk of fungal decay getting into the stem.