Acer palmatum 'Ghost Series'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Maple_Lady, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

Thanks so much D,
    I am going to take in consideration what you said, altghout I have the same serious addiction as you lol so reading your reply and how you seems to like them all I may stepback and think about getting them all in the long run...lol, a new headache.
    Thanks for the advices anyway.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I would go for Purple ghost and see how you like it. Just to let you know, Sister and Purple ghosts contrast beautifully together. So two would be very nice. For this year anyway, Lol.

3. Shin-Deshojo

Thanks for the infos about the contrasts, I will remember that.
    I think I ll have a better idea about all of them when I ll be able to see them in real life.
    I m looking forward to visit good nurseries and be in front of them if i have luck.
    I think that's the best way to choose a maple, but getting a lot of infos and advices before buying is always a +.

4. Acerholic

Definatly I, especially these days when there is a lot of photo editing by some suppliers to make their trees look amazing, but then when you receive them in the post, they look nothing like the promotional pictures.
    But hopefully with some info from the forum, you can go and look armed with some evidence of what they should look like.

A member, A @sun did this last year, she did a 'lot' of research and questioning on the forum and then went to a nursery with a big van and purchesd what she planned to do. Think she came home with an extra of course, as we all do, lol. But it worked out very well.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  5. Shin-Deshojo

Nice...i love the idea of going to a nursery with a van or a truck and bring a few good ones to home lol.

Acerholic likes this.
  6. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Buchholz Nursery has a new one named 'Dark Ghost'. Darker purple than Purple Ghost, but not as nice IMO.

7. Acerholic

Good morning Sam, I saw that advertised recently, but not for sale over here, 'yet'. Thats good information that you don't think it's as nice as Purple ghost, do you have any photos ? Or a side by side comparison that can be added to the thread?
    Have a great weekend
    D

8. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

Good morning

Attached Files:

Shin-Deshojo and Acerholic like this.
  9. Acerholic

Good morning J, I thought a lovely photo of your new baby would appear today for I @Shin-Deshojo.

Que tengas un buen fin de semana J.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  10. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

The truth is that I have not seen any like my baby ghost, and that I was quite disappointed when I saw him for the first time, but as good wines improve with age, I will put a photo.
    Have a good weekend

11. Acerholic

Mine was the same J, I'm hoping things will improve this year.

12. Shin-Deshojo

13. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Many sensible replies but person wouldn’t be with Aka Shigitatsu Sawa. It is, for me even prettier than any of the Ghosts. The colour I’d similar to Amber Ghost but the colours seem more delicate, the reticulation I little more subtle and the autumn red even brighter. I have 2 and I love them very much.

14. Luke’s Maples

This is one that is just starting to come out

Attached Files:

zfrittz, Acerholic and Shin-Deshojo like this.
  15. Luke’s Maples

Baby Ghost
    Sister Ghost
    Grandma Ghost
    Purple Ghost
    Amber Ghost
    First Ghost

I don’t have Uncle Ghost... Yet ;-)

Attached Files:

16. Shin-Deshojo

Thank you for the recomendation Luke.
    I'm glad you talk about this maple as I have never seen it in person but I always had the feeling it is a must have.

17. Shin-Deshojo

They all look precious....hmmmm....it s going to he hard to be reasonable.

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  18. Luke’s Maples

I will repost more pics once the leaves have fully unfurled.

There are many gorgeous reticulated varieties and I believe the father of them all (don’t quote me on this) is Shigitatsu Sawa. Is is absolutely stunning at this time of year and the photos that I’ll take right now will not do it justice.

Attached Files:

zfrittz, Acerholic and Shin-Deshojo like this.
  19. Shin-Deshojo

Love that green.

20. Acerholic

21. Acerholic

4th May 2021 and I'm updating my 7 ghosts here today as they do get lost on the big threads.
    But before I do, I would like to mention that I hope to see the new TB Dark ghost appear on the forum very soon, as I would like to compare it with my Purple ghost.
    They are as follows:- Amber, First, Sister, Baby, Grandma, Purple and Uncle.
    Amber ghost 216.JPG First ghost 215.JPG Sister ghost 215.JPG Baby ghost 215.JPG Grandma ghost 215.JPG Purple ghost 215.JPG Uncle ghost 215.JPG

D97x7 and Luke’s Maples like this.
  22. Maple_Lady

I saw the discussion about Baby Ghost. This one seems to be weak and I did not offer it for sale as it never showed the robust growth of some of the other maples. I also stopped selling Grandma Ghost as she became too pendulous for me as she matured. I have several planted in my landscape and they all cascade one way like a waterfall. Nice, but I am limited to how many different cultivars I can grow and there are too many that I prefer over GG and BG. I sold my last Purple Ghost last summer and I will not be restocking this one. I am sold out of First Ghost and I will not be restocking this one either. Not sure about Sister Ghost, but I didn't purchase any liners this year. But in the mid-1990s people would drive hundreds of miles to buy my Ghosts.

23. Acerholic

That is really good info about Baby ghost Sam. I am finding the same conclusions so far. I don't even know if mine will leaf out this year. It is really struggling as can be seen in my photos.
    It is good to hear that even the professionals like yourself have the same problems as we amateurs.

24. Acerholic

7th June 2021 and I wanted to update this thread with my 6 ghosts. I will update later with Baby when it finally leafs out properly.
    It has been the slowest start to a season I've ever experienced. What this will do to the Autumn colours, who knows!!
    Sister ghost 257.JPG Grandma ghost 256.JPG Uncle ghost 256.JPG First ghost 256.JPG Amber ghost 257.JPG Purple ghost 255.JPG

25. Maple_Lady

Sister Ghost looks great as unusual. So distinctive and so easy to identify. I've noticed over the years that many of the ghosts vary in color from one year to the next which can make them less distinguishable.