Acer palmatum 'Ornatum'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Very nice position it's in now. That will look amazing year after year and only get better and better. Tbh I, I would wait and see how it all looks in the Autumn. This is a tree that really doesn't need anything around it IMO. Just look at the Portland Japanese gardens specimen, this is a prime example..

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  2. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

Thank you for the taking time to reply D ,
    Glad you like aswell where i planted it altghout it doesn't show his potential yet, but i will share pictures in a month or so.

Thank you for the advice, i will try to follow it but i have the planting mania atm and need to plant a lot of my maples, i hope you won't take it personally if i plant one tomorow (not so close to him and probably a small one).

I will still sleep on your advice tonight though.

3. Acerholic

Lol I know exactly where you are coming from I. Somif it wee me planting nearby I would be looking at Seiryu. This to give another cascading effect that would look like flowing lava in the Autumn. So that's my choice. Let us all know what you decide I.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  4. Shin-Deshojo

Another good advice D, i appreciate it.
    I will take my time, and let you know but I do like the idea of Seiryu a lot.
    Have a good night D, hope you are free from frosts and can have a rest tonight.

5. Acerholic

Let's hope so, but I'm not holding my breath, lol.
    Good night I.

6. Acerholic

23rd April 2021 and this one is for I @Shin-Deshojo. This is my Ornatum after a spraying this morning.
    Really looking forward to seeing yours leaf out I, its going to look amazing.
    Ornatum 190.JPG

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  7. Shin-Deshojo

Good morning D,
    Thank you for the nice picture.
    I am looking forward to share pictures of mine as it is definitely my favorite japanese maple, untill then I will enjoy your pictures.

8. Acerholic

Will we get ours as nice as the Portland Japanese Garden specimen ?? Let's work on it, lol.
    Have a great day.

9. Shin-Deshojo

I don't think about mine so...or only my daughter and her futur children's will be able to tell in the futur lol.
    But I am happy with what my ornatum is looking so far, really a pleasure each year from spring to fall.

Acerholic likes this.
  10. Acerholic

And so you should I, it is a lovely tree you have there. But I do like your thoughts about children and grandchildren enjoying them in years to come. What a lovely gift to hand down.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  11. Acerholic

2nd May 2021 and after spraying every night and morning without fail, here is my Ornatum this morning.
    Ornatum 211.JPG

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  12. Acerholic

22nd May 2021 and with the Spring weather this year extremely cold, my Ornatum has taken a while to leaf out properly, but here it is now.
    Ornatum 234.JPG Ornatum 235.JPG

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  13. Shin-Deshojo

Hello D,
    It is indeed a weird spring this year, all my maples that leafed out early showed good colors but were damaged by the frosts;
    Then the others that leafed out last month are not showing great colors due to the lack of sun and so much rain lately.
    I still have a tall Inaba Shidare that is only starting to leaf out now.

It is non stop raining but i will try to take some pictures of my ornatum and post them here today.

Edit: Nice wireing on your Ornatum, this cultivar is great as tall tree.

14. Acerholic

Good morning I, great to hear from you. Yes it's an incredibly difficult Spring this year. I have some that are struggling to leaf out also. It looks like June we may get some leaves. I've also got some bady hit by frosts, even though I sprayed every night. But it would have been worse if I hadn't done so.
    Look forward to seeing your Ornatum photos when you can. Have a lovely weekend.
    D

15. Shin-Deshojo

As promised, here are some pictures taken 5 mins ago.
    You will notice i finally opted to plant a 'Ryu Sei' near him but i might move it a little more far away next spring as i think it is too close and he is hiding too much the 'Ornatum' to my taste.

20210522_131424.jpg
    20210522_131434.jpg
    20210522_131442.jpg
    20210522_131448.jpg
    20210522_131507.jpg
    20210522_131518.jpg
    20210522_131523.jpg
    20210522_131528.jpg
    20210522_131548.jpg

D97x7, Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  16. Acerholic

Promise fulfilled I and in buckets as they say here. Lovely!!

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  17. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Such a beautiful contrast between the colours, though - even if you do move them a bit further apart next spring, I hope they stay close enough to keep complimenting each other as they do now.

18. Shin-Deshojo

Thank you, i will try to.

Xi-feng likes this.
  19. Acerholic

10th June 2021 and the Summer colours on my Ornatum have kicked in now.
    Ornatum 260.JPG Ornatum 261.JPG

D97x7 and Shin-Deshojo like this.
  20. Acerholic

15th June 2021 and I wanted to show this morning what 5 days of intense heat has done to my Ornatum. The answer is nothing at all. It does cope very well indeed.
    Ornatum 267.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  21. Acerholic

28th June 2021 and my Ornatum is doing everything right this year. It is enjoying this typical British Summer weather I think.
    Ornatum 282.JPG

D97x7 likes this.
  22. Acerholic

8th July 2021 and after some unseasonably cool wet weather, my Ornatum looks a bit beaten down. But it will bounce back.
    Ornatum 296.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  23. Acerholic

13th July 2021 and a follow up on my Ornatum in the wettest Summer I've known in decades.
    Ornatum 301.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  24. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

My first photo of this guy - currently using the old 'champagne cork' torture to try and separate some branches that were practically entwined. Looking forward to getting this guy past the staking phase!

20210807 Ornatum.jpg

Acerholic and D97x7 like this.
  25. Romain01

Romain01 Well-Known Member Maple Society

"Ornatum FG" is a cross between "Green globe and Ornatum" the initials mean Fratelli Gilardelli which is a nursery in Italy.

"Ornatum FG" has a more erect habit, more in height than the Ornatum ".

Its finely cut foliage is light red with a shade of green in spring, then purplish green in summer. It turns bright orange to red in the fall.

the photos are from this summer.

Attached Files:

AlainK, Xi-feng, Margot and 1 other person like this.