Acer shirasawanum 'Moonrise'

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by xman, Sep 17, 2007.

1. rwinktown

rwinktown Active Member

it doesnt look to burned to me, half mine got scorched, hope the branches don't die.... time will tell...

2. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

look close, there are some 1/2" caliper branch which have been cut off and simce the tree has no lower branches the tree looks pretty darn bad.

3. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

This year I bought a Moonrise from Munn's Nursery. Here is the first spring color for 2012

Attached Files:

• 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      65.1 KB
      Views:
  4. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Anyone have fall color pictures of moonrise? I'm trying to decide where to plant mine. Thanks!

5. rwinktown

rwinktown Active Member

amazing maples probably has a few pictures, i dont remember mine being all that remarkable in fall....

6. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Just to update, mine turned yellow this fall. I would agree, not all that remarkable and turned brown pretty quick due to a few days rain. Here are a couple pics of it at about it's best fall color this year. Not too bad and contrasts well with some reds I have planted near by.

Attached Files:

7. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

Photos of Moonrise, spring 2014. This tree has been planted in zone 5b and made it through two very harsh winters with no die back, even though its first year it was planted shortly before winter as a 2-year graft. Impressive tree, with lovely long-lasting color and good, strong, balanced growth. Grown in bright shade.

Attached Files:

8. maplesmagpie

Still so much color, and now pushing out bright new leaves--

Attached Files:

9. maplesmagpie

Summer colors (June, July, August, then May, all of the same year and same specimen). This cultivar is one of my favorites. It's so bright and colorful, grows quickly and evenly, and the sun doesn't seem to bother it at all.

Attached Files:

emery likes this.
  10. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

My Moonrise is the toughest of all my Shirasawanum's and so I have given it more sun. Easily 8 hours a day and coped with 34° C in June. It never disappoints.
    I have attached photos from just waking up in early April to July 2020.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

An update today 7th July 2020 on my Moonrise. This is not the most colourful of my Shirasawanum's by any means. But it is probably the hardiest. New photo attached.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

My last post showed a hint of what was to come, now on the 15th July 2020 the Summer flush on Moonrise is there to be seen and enjoyed.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

The new growth that was just showing a few weeks ago is still there and giving my Moonrise an added dimension in Summer.
    Photo 26th July 2020. No problems in the sun at all with this Shirasawanum.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

28th July 2020 and my Moonrise is still performing well. Two photos this morning as requested.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

August 4th 2020 and my Moonrise has now gone into full Summer colour. The yellow still stands out, but is no longer as bright. It's now in the phase of getting ready for Autum. My only hope is that it does not just turn brown at the edges of the leaves and gives some pretty Autumn colour.

Attached Files:

sun likes this.
  16. Acerholic

A heatwave and some strong winds and still this little one copes. 9th August 2020 photo.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

12th August 2020 still very hot and in fact yesterday was the hottest I've ever seen in my garden. Ground temperature hit 48° C by my trees.
    They are all now suffering. But I will continue the Summer diary as requested.
    Sadly the heat has now got to my Moonrise, but I must show it as promissed. I think the Autumn colour might be brown this year for my lovely Shirasawanum.

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

20th August 2020 and after days of rain after a heatwave, everything is picking up again. Severe storms coming tomorrow, so I hope I can batten down the hatches so to speak and protect my trees.
    More new growth on my Moonrise, so very late when in the past my Shirasawanum's are starting to curl and go brown at the tips. A strange year indeed.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

30th August 2020 and it is definitely getting colder. My maples are very happy now that the Summer heat has passed. They are all enjoying the early morning sun.
    Some little tell tell signs of perhaps a not so good an Autumn on my Moonrise.
    I will update regularly to show how it fares.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

5th September 2020 and the diary continues, each day has a new colour on the leaves now. And tbh some rather strange colours this year.
    New growth in September!!! But does that mean I will have a good Autumn colour on my Moonrise, time will tell!!!

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

Moonrise 713.JPG 27th March 2021 and after an early prune, this is the start of my Moonrise for this year. You may think that one stem is strange, but I am encouraging this for a cascading style tree. It might work, but if not there is always 2022..
    View attachment 199165

22. Acerholic

7th April 2021 and the reason for posting this one this morning is to show how my Moonrise protects itself from the severest of Spring frosts. It was -5°C here last night and it looks fine. Time will tell though.
    Moon Rise 182.JPG

23. Acerholic

22nd April 2021 and yes it is a very wet Moonrise, but that's all from spraying at 0530hrs this morning. These buds are now beginning to open and fingers crossed I have protected them for 'another' difficult Spring.
    Moonrise 190.JPG

24. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

Mine emerging with a lot of color

021.JPG

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  25. Acerholic

Good evening Keith, a few thousand miles apart and over the pond and our Moonrise maples are not far apart in development of their leaves.
    So much fun watching this... Hope mine is as colourful as yours in a few days. Very nice Keith.