Acer palmatum 'Nakakamado Weeping' Treasure

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Ultraman, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Ultraman

Ultraman Active Member

Rare cultivar I’m told, that originated from a tree grafted from a scion off the several hundreds year old national treasure specimen in Fukushima Prefecture Japan.

updated Spring 2022 photos: Tree is still growing well and taking on a great weeping habit/shape.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2022
    LoverOfMaples and Acerholic like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good afternoon @Ultraman, this is indeed a maple to marvel at and if you now have a certified tree from that original in Japan, then it is one to cherish.
    I understand the 'Treasure' name of yours is from a private collection, is that right ?

3. Ultraman

Ultraman Active Member

That’s correct!

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

You might have a few in the US asking where you got it from, as I know many who would like that one in their collections. Lol.

A great new addition to the cultivar photos forum.

5. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

MrMaple offer this one from time to time. I missed out on it last time. @Ultraman your species is very nice btw.

6. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

The original plant in my garden was purchased in Japan by a good friend from Atlanta at the 2008 International Maple Symposium. It was imported into the US to the US National Arboretum and quarantined for I believe three years. When it was ready to be released it was picked up in Washington DC and deliver to my garden in NJ in 2011.

LoverOfMaples and Acerholic like this.
  7. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

The plant is on the registered cultivar list with the maple society under the name Treasure.

LoverOfMaples likes this.